Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 05:20 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

I just had hip surgery and I'm limited to having my right leg extended at all times. I can get up and sit in chairs but I can only sit at the edge or I need a foot stool if I wanted to sit back more. Whether I'm sitting in bed or in a chair, it gets incredibly uncomfortable and my back starts to hurt. It's going to take 3 months for me to heal so that's a long time for me to be uncomfortable.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make sitting more comfortable with my limitations?

I'm thinking of ordering this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WPQ8ZTC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 06:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Do you have a physical therapist - they often have great tips and tricks for this kind of thing. Or even if you haven't started PT yet, maybe you can still have a session to discuss your concerns?

Old 03-21-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do you have a physical therapist - they often have great tips and tricks for this kind of thing. Or even if you haven't started PT yet, maybe you can still have a session to discuss your concerns?
Not yet. Still waiting on doctor to confirm referral.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:31 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
For lumbar support, I use breathable mesh backing. I find that more supportive and less painful compared to harden upholstery cushions. So I use a cushion on the very back and then I place the mesh backing in front of that. It relaxes the muscles and spreads the pressure evenly on the back.

I also use for lower back support is a large velcro ban around the waist. It also helps relieve some of the pain in the lumbar region and allows the muscles to relax and rest.

I get the pain when I start to slouch while sitting too long. It doesn't help that my sofa is old and breaking apart.

Hope you find something that works for you. I tried everything there is out there and then some.

I don't know what kind of surgery you had so I would make sure you don't have anything that contraindicates any bands or strictures on you. If that's the case then the mesh back supports I think is worthwhile.

Old 03-22-2022, 05:18 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
For lumbar support, I use breathable mesh backing. I find that more supportive and less painful compared to harden upholstery cushions. So I use a cushion on the very back and then I place the mesh backing in front of that. It relaxes the muscles and spreads the pressure evenly on the back.

I also use for lower back support is a large velcro ban around the waist. It also helps relieve some of the pain in the lumbar region and allows the muscles to relax and rest.

I get the pain when I start to slouch while sitting too long. It doesn't help that my sofa is old and breaking apart.

Hope you find something that works for you. I tried everything there is out there and then some.

I don't know what kind of surgery you had so I would make sure you don't have anything that contraindicates any bands or strictures on you. If that's the case then the mesh back supports I think is worthwhile.

Links may be helpful to her.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:13 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I just had hip surgery and I'm limited to having my right leg extended at all times. I can get up and sit in chairs but I can only sit at the edge or I need a foot stool if I wanted to sit back more. Whether I'm sitting in bed or in a chair, it gets incredibly uncomfortable and my back starts to hurt. It's going to take 3 months for me to heal so that's a long time for me to be uncomfortable.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make sitting more comfortable with my limitations?

I'm thinking of ordering this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WPQ8ZTC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I wouldn't buy anything without discussing it with my surgeon. The support angles of such a device (which, BTW, targets a different post-op group) could do more harm than good! Not to mention you'd pay $60 (excluding shipping) for something a combination of household items you already have might do just as well if used in the right way. Folded, rolled up blankets, towels, or mats, couch cushions, a simple inflatable, etc. Plus, as you heal you might need to adjust whatever support you use. IME, PTs are often good sources for low-no-cost suggestions.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-22-2022 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-22-2022, 03:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Defintiely discuss it with the therapist & doc-- there may be some mis-communication here. Assuming you've had the usual hip replacement procedure, they usually want you to get pretty active, pretty quickly. They don't want you to bend up into a fetal position for a while, but sitting up normaly usually isn't restricted by the third or fourth day.

Oh, and ask your doc what time it is. Does he know where he left his watch?

Old 03-25-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Oh, and ask your doc what time it is. Does he know where he left his watch?
Lol what?

Old 03-25-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I wouldn't buy anything without discussing it with my surgeon. The support angles of such a device (which, BTW, targets a different post-op group) could do more harm than good! Not to mention you'd pay $60 (excluding shipping) for something a combination of household items you already have might do just as well if used in the right way. Folded, rolled up blankets, towels, or mats, couch cushions, a simple inflatable, etc. Plus, as you heal you might need to adjust whatever support you use. IME, PTs are often good sources for low-no-cost suggestions.
Good call. I'll just wait for my PT appt. I've been using towels, throw pillows, blankets and things I already have. It seems like my requirements change pretty often.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:17 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Lol what?
He's joking that the surgeon might have left his watch in your body, an event that has an incredibly small chance of occurring because:

1. They do multiple X-Rays in the OR before completing the case to check placement of implants, hardware etc.

2. Surgeons and OR staff, rarely, if ever, wear exposed jewelry or anything similar during a case for myriad reasons, most notably the fact that something could fall off and contaminate the sterile field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness