Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 09:38 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Last night had congestion, runny nose and a scratching throat (like Obama, LOL) and normal allergy meds had no effect. Today I'm fine just a little groggier than normal in the am. Fine now. I'm 68 and have had all shots. Sounds like it you think?
If it was covid, you probably had it longer than one day but only symptomatic for one day. Remember, the majority of people have had mild or no symptoms at all.

When the omicron variant was first discovered in SA, it was identified as very, very mild symptoms and short duration as you described. You could have had covid, or it could have been something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 09:47 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Yes, it's possible. I had similar symptoms (headache, runny nose), I took a Covid test and it was positive. I woke up the next day feeling fine.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:52 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
I had a really bad sore throat for 3 days last week. On day three I took the free Covid test from the government. It was negative. I never ran a fever, so I was pretty sure it wasn't Covid, but figured since I have two of the free tests now, I could see for sure. It was interesting that Obama had the same symptom and was negative. I felt fine other than the bad sore throat. I think mine was just allergies.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:17 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
It is so weird that you would post this today, because yesterday I had something very similar happen to me. Like you, I am 68 and fully vaccinated. So yesterday after I woke up I was sitting with my usual bowl of granola, and I realized I could not taste it at all, nor could I taste my coffee. As the day progressed, I had various symptoms--runny nose, cough, congestion, sore throat, headache, itchy eyes (which I didn't even know could be a Covid symptom until I looked it up), muscle aches, and fatigue. Each symptom arrived separately and each was over within five to twenty minutes. By lunch time I could taste my food again, and by bedtime I was fine.

I didn't take a test because what's the point since I never go anywhere these days and would not expose anyone. (I did have to go to an eye clinic a few days ago, so I guess I could have been exposed then, but other than medical appointments, I don't go out.) But it did make me wonder. In the past, I have had periods of maybe 6-8 hours where my body would run through all the symptoms of a cold or the flu, and then I would be fine.

FWIW, omicron hit us within 3 or 4 days of being exposed. I was having weird symptoms but over a 2 week period, I would have a day or two where I was ok. I'm vaxxed once with J&J. Daughter and grandson were positive, my test was negative, go figure.

I doubt I was fighting anything but Omicron because I was taking care of my daughter and grandson. I saw her the day she got symptoms in order to take my grandson for a week. I then was at her house about one time per day to set her up for the day since she was in bed.

I took them for their test then gave my grandson back because my daughter felt better, well he came down with it within days, tested negative on rapid test then positive at doctors PCR test the same day. I drove them to the peds, she doesn't drive right now. I was then once again pretty sick a few days later.

No clue how my test was negative. I don't know anyone exposed to omicron that had the J&J vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
The only way to know for sure....do a at home covid test. I have recieved free test in the mail from the goverment, just to have, in case.

Chances are it was omicron, it won't show up in the home test unless you have symptoms for a few days according to my grandsons peds. There are articles that say the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
it's possible.

I know a teen that tested positive and then the very next day tested negative and felt fine totally. Saw him outside playing basketball. Had to stay home for another 8 days from school though. Productive. /shrug/

Was it PCR test or home test? May have been a false positive if home test.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:50 AM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
It's unfortunate that testing is still problamatic with each having sensitivity problems with false negatives inclusive of PCR and in tests having problems with specificity in terms of false positives.

The strategy is still for test and treat. The problem is that medications now require an early diagnosis. Most people don't bother to get tested until significant symptoms present and the clock starts ticking from there. One needs to have a clear understanding of what one's personal risk factors are and if you are a candidate for the new pharmaceutical if ever the need arises. There should be a clear understanding with your doctor or clinic or pharmacy with regards to risk factors. If they are not aware of your past medical history then it might be a wrong assessment added risk.

If you are at high risk then you need to be aggressive in getting tested and follow through in order to increase your odds of surviving.

If you are not in a high-risk group then one is concerned about not spreading the virus and that is where the classic antigen tests might be more useful. it is also more useful in asymptomatic people who want to monitor it.

For those with more concerning symptoms early on in the pandemic, we would have delays in PCR testing and other tests like imaging would play a role in establishing a preliminary diagnosis that didn't require a positive PCR test. Other surrogate tests were also used with blood draws such as the absolute lymphocyte count or the relative percent lymphocyte count that is used in prognostication.

Early on it was noted that lymphocyte counts were low in COVID infection. There are several different theories as to why that occurs. They found that 72% of people with COVID had a count lower than 1.1 K/uL. The reference range usually goes to 1.0. If the threshold cutoff is raised to 2.0 K/uL then it will pick up 92% of patients with COVID.

When one thinks of viral infections one usually thinks of high lymphocyte counts because lymphocytes fight viral infections. The exceptions are the Ebola virus, HIV, and COVID. This helped doctors in separating and isolating patients who had a viral syndrome with low lymphocyte counts before PCR results could come back. Platelet counts may also be below but they commonly occur with most viral infections so it lacks specificity with regards to diagnosing COVID. It along with others is used for prognostication.

Old 03-22-2022, 05:22 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
It's unfortunate that testing is still problamatic with each having sensitivity problems with false negatives inclusive of PCR and in tests having problems with specificity in terms of false positives.

The strategy is still for test and treat. The problem is that medications now require an early diagnosis. Most people don't bother to get tested until significant symptoms present and the clock starts ticking from there. One needs to have a clear understanding of what one's personal risk factors are and if you are a candidate for the new pharmaceutical if ever the need arises. There should be a clear understanding with your doctor or clinic or pharmacy with regards to risk factors. If they are not aware of your past medical history then it might be a wrong assessment added risk.

If you are at high risk then you need to be aggressive in getting tested and follow through in order to increase your odds of surviving.

If you are not in a high-risk group then one is concerned about not spreading the virus and that is where the classic antigen tests might be more useful. it is also more useful in asymptomatic people who want to monitor it.

For those with more concerning symptoms early on in the pandemic, we would have delays in PCR testing and other tests like imaging would play a role in establishing a preliminary diagnosis that didn't require a positive PCR test. Other surrogate tests were also used with blood draws such as the absolute lymphocyte count or the relative percent lymphocyte count that is used in prognostication.

Early on it was noted that lymphocyte counts were low in COVID infection. There are several different theories as to why that occurs. They found that 72% of people with COVID had a count lower than 1.1 K/uL. The reference range usually goes to 1.0. If the threshold cutoff is raised to 2.0 K/uL then it will pick up 92% of patients with COVID.

When one thinks of viral infections one usually thinks of high lymphocyte counts because lymphocytes fight viral infections. The exceptions are the Ebola virus, HIV, and COVID. This helped doctors in separating and isolating patients who had a viral syndrome with low lymphocyte counts before PCR results could come back. Platelet counts may also be below but they commonly occur with most viral infections so it lacks specificity with regards to diagnosing COVID. It along with others is used for prognostication.

Any idea of the chances of a false PCR test? I'm positive I had omicron from caring for my daughter and grandson, I had the same symptoms, it even started at the same amount of days after being near my daughter, then grandson, yet my test was negative.

I did not test in the beginning, I tested at the tail end of it, when I was feeling good enough to drive. Could I have waited too long?

Old 03-22-2022, 09:47 AM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Any idea of the chances of a false PCR test? I'm positive I had omicron from caring for my daughter and grandson, I had the same symptoms, it even started at the same amount of days after being near my daughter, then grandson, yet my test was negative.

I did not test in the beginning, I tested at the tail end of it when I was feeling good enough to drive. Could I have waited too long?
The problem with discussing COVID is that there is no consistency of all the clinical aspects of what we call COVID. In reality, each variant acts as a new disease with differing incubation, infectivity rates, clinical disease expression, and different impacts with laboratory testing.

With regards to testing, we have found from the beginning that the sample source varies in the sensitivity of picking up the virus(s). Some have implied based on studies that oral salivary sources are more sensitive for omicron infections vs nasal sources vs nasopharyngeal sources. Each source is validated via FDA approval for such sources as submitted for accuracy. The latest implication is that 6 days from beginning to end for omicron is needed for isolation. Most of the studies have characterized disease progression after one has been exposed to a infectious source or event and then seeing who comes down with disease ie symptoms. There are fewer studies that have characterized asymptomatic infections without the disease. Originally and based on FDA approval only scant test methods have applied for FDA approval for testing asymptomatic individuals who have no symptoms. Most PCR tests were approved for testing people with symptoms and not asymptomatic cases as issues of viral load were of concern. it was proposed that asymptomatic cases were situations where viral loads were lower compared to symptomatic illness viral loads. That question on a case-by-case basis is still unresolved or conflicted based on some studies showing that asymptomatic cases have the same viral loads as those with symptomatic disease. The dynamics of those vaccinated complicates it even more as those vaccinated can alter viral loads with infections that reduce transmission rates.

The strategy of testing is to use the best test at the best time in the best patients. This reduces false negatives and false positives and increases the predictive value of all tests. When you have a moving target then one will always have flaws.

Any specific test will lag behind any new variant until it is fully characterized. From day one until now there's a holistic approach to tests and not simply rely on one test but serial testing of the same test and other tests to add sensitivity and specificity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness