Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 03:27 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times

Advertisements

60 years old. Never had a hip problem. Yesterday, I got a sharp pain just above my hip on my left side. If I put pressure on the spot, it hurts. If I simply stand, it is fine but if I move, it is a sharp pain that stays in the area. It was ok last night and this morning. Now it hurts like hell again. I didn’t do anything to it. I don’t work out at the gym or do any sports these days. This came out of the blue. Any idea what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 05:05 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Torn labrum?

Old 03-19-2022, 02:33 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Don't know what you expect to hear from people who can't examine you in person. The cause of many little aches and pains can remain a mystery. Sometimes they do simply resolve on their own. If the pain continues or progresses, a pattern will probably develop; some specific movement, not moving enough, or a particular time of day or position. Keep a record of what makes it worse or better and discuss it with your doctor!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-19-2022 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-19-2022, 02:44 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Something like what you describe can be cause by a deteriorating disk impinging o the nerve that goes to that area. I hear that's somewhat common at 60+. The way to fix it (if the cause is, indeed, a disc sort of oozing out of place) is to do "cobra" exercises (like in yoga), 2-3 repetitions of 10 each twice/day, to gradually ease the disc back into place. This takes patience, over a week or two.

Then you have to make sure you practice good posture at the computer or anytime your sitting, so your back is straight. It's recommended to continue the cobra exercise a couple of times a week once you resolve the problem, as a maintenance measure.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
A sudden pain in my hip was the first sign I had shingles. This was a coupla years ago. If you get a rash or welts or whatever on one side, you may have shingles. I was actually wondering if I had "cancer of the hip" or something like that. It hurt even for air to touch it. Underwear, OMG. Clothes, whoa.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:21 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
60 years old. Never had a hip problem. Yesterday, I got a sharp pain just above my hip on my left side. If I put pressure on the spot, it hurts. If I simply stand, it is fine but if I move, it is a sharp pain that stays in the area. It was ok last night and this morning. Now it hurts like hell again. I didn’t do anything to it. I don’t work out at the gym or do any sports these days. This came out of the blue. Any idea what it could be?

Could be anything from one time thing to maybe your spine or hip is going.

The last week, my right hip and pelvis have gotten some killer pain. I'll be walking, then stop dead in my tracks because of it. I then ice my back, it goes away. I have a fused L5S1 plus disks over it are going. I'm looking for a new doctor for injections.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:26 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Sharp shooting pains are quite often nerve-related I think.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:55 AM

185 posts, read 135,641 times
Could be bursitis. The bursa is a sac that acts as a buffer in certain joints. Bursitis is very common in hips and shoulders. I had it in both hips and controlled it, accidentally, by going Paleo and ditching grains, especially wheat. But see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

(My doctor wanted me to stop sports, saying that it's a common reason for athletes to stop playing. He also offered NSAIDs for the pain, and said the next step would be steroid injections. I thanked him and said no thanks to long-term NSAID use or steroid shots. Coincidentally went Paleo at the same time and said goodbye to bursitis, bunion pain, bloating after eating, and lifelong sinus issues within a month. Basically, anything inflammatory. When I saw the doctor later I told him how I got rid of it and he just smiled and said nothing.)

Old 03-21-2022, 12:23 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallots View Post
Could be bursitis. The bursa is a sac that acts as a buffer in certain joints. Bursitis is very common in hips and shoulders. I had it in both hips and controlled it, accidentally, by going Paleo and ditching grains, especially wheat. But see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

(My doctor wanted me to stop sports, saying that it's a common reason for athletes to stop playing. He also offered NSAIDs for the pain, and said the next step would be steroid injections. I thanked him and said no thanks to long-term NSAID use or steroid shots. Coincidentally went Paleo at the same time and said goodbye to bursitis, bunion pain, bloating after eating, and lifelong sinus issues within a month. Basically, anything inflammatory. When I saw the doctor later I told him how I got rid of it and he just smiled and said nothing.)
I agree with the possible bursitis diagnosis. In my case though, it got so bad that I was basically almost crippled from it and got one cortisone shot, which cleared it right up.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:40 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I had a painful hip, I think the diagnosis was ilio-tibial band syndrome. I did exercises and it cleared up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness