Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 08:18 AM

749 posts, read 580,342 times

Advertisements

Do you wear them every day, or once in a while or when you need them? I know they are intended for everyday, but if you live alone, solitary, you really don't need them, at all. When you go outside? In the stores, I might hear the clerk better or not. Aids do not help with their accents or fast talkers or inarticulate speech. So now I hear various noises I never wanted to hear, like a newspaper crackling. So what?
Are you getting your money's worth? I am not--- though I have them only 2 months in tune with my cell phone for sound. I have no company and with Covid around, rarely go to social or fun events. Or movies.
Don't need them on the phone either (they fall out). The brand or fit doesn't matter...its your lifestyle!
And the deadline is past for a refund.

You understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 08:45 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Yes. Wear them every day, for as many hours as you can. One reason those noises are so annoying to you, is because your ears aren't used to hearing them. And now they hear them. They WILL NOT adjust to that, if you only wear those devices once in awhile. You must allow your ears to adjust to what they're hearing.

Once you get past a few months of wearing them faithfully for at least 8 hours a day, if those noises still bother you, go to your audiologist and ask them to check the device programming. They might need a little tweaking of certain frequencies.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:09 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
I wear my hearing aids usually 13 hours a day. My hearing aids are controlled by an app on my iphone. They adjust automatically via the iphone to specific conditions - such as background noise.

Prior to getting my hearing aids I had stopped using phones for several years, because, I could only make out less than 50% of what was being said, be it a regular phone or cell phone. My hearing aids do not fall out as I had optional retention strands added to insure they would stay in place while I was doing indoor rock climbing. I am also comfortable doing several outdoor activities because I know the retention strands hold the hearing aids securely in place.

I can actually enjoy talking on the phone because the iphone app sends the call via bluetooth directly into my hearing aids. When I am driving, the multi directional receivers allow me to know from what direction a fire truck or other emergency vehicle is approaching. I can participate in a conversation at a table with friends because the app on my iphone automatically adjusts the hearing aids to cut out the background noise.

I got my life back the day I got my hearing aids. The bluetooth connection to my iphone made a huge difference in the decision to spend the money to buy hearing aids. It makes a huge difference in the functionality of the hearing aids. I may notice the difference because my hearing loss may be much more severe than yours.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:49 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
For the longest time, I thought my neighbor was a snob. Everytime I would say Hi to him, as I walked by, he wouldn`t even look at me. One day I caught his eye, and he came over to say hi. He said he does not wear his hearing aid when out doing yard work.....not a snob at all...a very nice guy.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times
Yes, I wear them everyday, but I don’t necessarily wear them all day long. If I am alone and don’t need to hear something, I typically don’t put them in. Also, it is healthy to give your ear canal a little more chance to “breathe.” That is one of the main reasons why you are supposed to take them out at night. You have a much higher risk of ear infection if you wear them 24/7.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:04 AM

463 posts, read 285,892 times
Have had them 10 years now. I wear them about 8-10 hrs a day. I wouldn't leave home without them. They work fine, have all the fancy features, bluetooth for the phone etc. My problem is that I enjoy my peace and quiet. Seems the minute I take them out, the wife wants to talk about something.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:38 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Do you wear them every day, or once in a while or when you need them?
Don't need them on the phone either (they fall out).

You understand?
If they have a tendency to fall out, then they are made wrong.

It happened to mine.
Originally they were made like a plug type only, and they just would not stay in.
Then they made the retaining type, and they stay in. It is actually a bit difficult to remove them now!
You have to "find" the pull string to get them out.
The squiggly looking part fits in the "crevices" of your ear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Also, it is healthy to give your ear canal a little more chance to “breathe.” That is one of the main reasons why you are supposed to take them out at night. You have a much higher risk of ear infection if you wear them 24/7.
Mine have a breathing hole in addition to the sound canal...
I do not sleep with them because when I lay on my side (taking a nap) they do hurt!

Important is to "clean" your ear canal (wax build-up) every morning before you put them in.
I have special safety tools to do that.
Also, the wax plug needs to be changed regularly.

I have used mine for umpteen years now and could not live without them!
I have the Bluetooth version and thus can listen to phone calls and the TV at my own level of hearing needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you wear your hearing aids?-earpiece.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 04-01-2022 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-01-2022, 07:46 AM

463 posts, read 285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If they have a tendency to fall out, then they are made wrong.

It happened to mine.
Originally they were made like a plug type only, and they just would not stay in.
Then they made the retaining type, and they stay in. It is actually a bit difficult to remove them now!
You have to "find" the pull string to get them out.
The squiggly looking part fits in the "crevices" of your ear!
The plug (cone) type would not stay in well for me either. My audiologist made molds of my ear and made custom ones. They fit well but you can feel them in the ear more. I also need a good seal in my ear or I get feedback. These do that much better than the cones.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you wear your hearing aids?-thumbnailear.jpg  

Old 04-01-2022, 07:49 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
The plug (cone) type would not stay in well for me either. My audiologist made molds of my ear and made custom ones. They fit well but you can feel them in the ear more. I also need a good seal in my ear or I get feedback. These do that much better than the cones.
Interesting design.
Your pic shows the pull string better!

I do not 'feel' them at all.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:56 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
I feel my hearing aids in my ears, but it's just another thing I had to get used to. Sort of like how some people can have long fingernails. They usually pay no attention to their existence, they have already adjusted to the fact that they're long, and have developed habits that allow them to do normal mundane things (like zip up their pants, or wipe themselves after using the toilet, or opening a car door) without care or concern. As long as they maintain those nails - get a manicure every once in awhile, keep the cuticles pushed back and the undersides of the nail tips clean, they're good to go.

I have tiny ear canals, very narrow. So I have to use the little wax caps that come with them, rather than the ones you normally get that are closer to an actual size. They slip juuuuuust slightly every few hours, and that's when I notice them. So I just give them a little nudge and they're right back where I put them for another few hours. The retaining tails keep them from falling off the back of my ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness