U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 09:40 AM

762 posts, read 270,470 times

Advertisements

Just because you need a nap after 5 hours doesn't mean you have sleep apnea. You might need a nap because of your advanced age and high blood sugar. Do you have prediabetes or diabetes?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pre+...gMyBQgAEIYDMgU

Blood sugar issues could make you feel tired after eating, especially if it's a big meal with lots of refined carbs.

You could have a friend or relative diagnose sleep apnea by watching you take a nap. You would have loud snoring followed by silence and no breathing, then there would be a gasp for air and the snoring begins again. And that pattern would keep repeating over and over.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 04-06-2022 at 09:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 10:24 AM

1,047 posts, read 331,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
If you re not happy, find new doctors. Nothing we can do here to help you
Everyone here is helping me and I truly appreciate all of the help with information and suggestions.

I made a appointment with my pulmonologist. I got it for the end of this month when he has an opening to discuss and start taking steps to finding out if I do have sleep apnea.

I had some really vivid dreams last night the first one was scary one and one I had before years ago. I woke and fell back to sleep. The second one was a continuation of the first one this time I woke up and went to the bathroom. Then I tried to sleep on my back which I never do and to me complete surprise all of a sudden when I was drifting off it happened I snored and my tongue was falling to the back of my throad

My head feels stuffy and my sinuses in the eustacian tube mostly the right side. It's weird but when I put my fingers on it and slightly press then move it towards my ear it clears up more. Weird I know but that does help. Now I am drinking more water to hopefully help with energy and drain my sinuses. My I can breathe out of but the other parts of my sinuses are driving me up a wall.

yes I am diabetic

Old 04-06-2022, 10:47 AM

6,213 posts, read 6,971,915 times
Please take care of yourself and be open to what the doctors and even some posters are saying.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:18 AM

96,789 posts, read 94,673,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
When I talked to my doctor about those dental inserts he strongly warned me against them as they cause your jaw bones to out of alignment without fixing the actual apnea problem, or looking for other causes.
Thanks for the input. I didn't get one, because the x-rays showed the device wouldn't solve my problem. I wish I'd had a chance to ask about the point you raise, though. People use dental inserts to prevent teeth grinding, aside from apnea, though. I would think, that dentists would be the first ones to be concerned about inserts causing jaw misalignment. Now I'm curious.

But I also noticed, that there are dentists who offer custom fittings for dental inserts for apnea, who aren't trained to evaluate the candidate. They seem to offer the device simply because insurance will pay them to do it; it's a bandwagon that some dentists jump on, without having thorough training. Maybe that's where problems with the inserts arise?

In any case, you raise a good point that people considering what to do about apnea should address in their search for a solution.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:24 AM

96,789 posts, read 94,673,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Everyone here is helping me and I truly appreciate all of the help with information and suggestions.

I made a appointment with my pulmonologist. I got it for the end of this month when he has an opening to discuss and start taking steps to finding out if I do have sleep apnea.

I had some really vivid dreams last night the first one was scary one and one I had before years ago. I woke and fell back to sleep. The second one was a continuation of the first one this time I woke up and went to the bathroom. Then I tried to sleep on my back which I never do and to me complete surprise all of a sudden when I was drifting off it happened I snored and my tongue was falling to the back of my throad

My head feels stuffy and my sinuses in the eustacian tube mostly the right side. It's weird but when I put my fingers on it and slightly press then move it towards my ear it clears up more. Weird I know but that does help. Now I am drinking more water to hopefully help with energy and drain my sinuses. My I can breathe out of but the other parts of my sinuses are driving me up a wall.

yes I am diabetic
OP, you're describing some of the classic symptoms of apnea patients.
1. The lack of oxygen to your brain causes "nightmares" or otherwise unpleasant dreams.
2. Apnea tends to cause excess production of urine at night, which results in wakeup to go to the bathroom.
3. Apnea patients are advised to sleep on their side, for the exact reason you describe: to avoid the tongue falling back into their throat, and blocking the air passage.

Do you wake up in the morning with headaches? The lack of oxygen at night can cause morning headaches, or perhaps even nighttime headaches.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:41 PM

8,675 posts, read 12,862,917 times
OP,doctors can tell by the size of your neck if you have sleep apnea.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you're describing some of the classic symptoms of apnea patients.
1. The lack of oxygen to your brain causes "nightmares" or otherwise unpleasant dreams.
2. Apnea tends to cause excess production of urine at night, which results in wakeup to go to the bathroom.
3. Apnea patients are advised to sleep on their side, for the exact reason you describe: to avoid the tongue falling back into their throat, and blocking the air passage.

Do you wake up in the morning with headaches? The lack of oxygen at night can cause morning headaches, or perhaps even nighttime headaches.
1) I never had nightmares until the last two days that I actually remembered them after being awake all day. I stopped remembering my dreams throughout the day years ago.

2) Yep I wake up in the wee hours of the morning around 5am but then I drink fluids before going to sleep I am sure I'm not suppose to but it's a habit I got into.

3) I always sleep on my side except the other day when I woke up early for the bathroom. That morning I just decided to try going back to sleep on my back. Don't you know it for the first time I actually snored LOL it made laugh at myself I never heard that before but then I realized that isn't good because my tongue was back blocking my throat.

I hate it when I wake up with a headache. It use to be a headache meant getting nauseous and then the bladder infection either that day or next. Now lately it's the headache with my sinuses all stuffy. My one eye is still getting that crusty stuff and I'm still on the antibiotic drops 3 times a day.

Everyone here is so kind, willing to help me I so much appreciate all the kindness and encouragement.
So many people here on this site, especially this thread, are much more knowledgeable than I am. Maybe deep down on some level I know they are right. I am just so afraid of that thing on my face and needing it just makes me feel so much more old(er).

I won't cancel the appointment to at least find out with my Doctor what to do and how to start the process of taking the test.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:10 AM

6,213 posts, read 6,971,915 times
Default Always ask if it is medically necessary!

My husband has a small neck but still has apnea, it isn't the size of your neck but the opening in your throat that matters. If you do some research you will see that there can be more than one cause of apnea and only a professional can determine other brain causes through an over night study.

Ruth, just don't get me started on dentists! The ADA protested to keep dental work off Medicare this year because their members wouldn't make as much money if charges are regulated. Some dentists use caps, implants, and apnea mouth devices to pad their charges. My DH signed up for one of those dental discount plans which included an automatic renewal and the quoted charges were only for a short time. Two days after he signed up, that dentist signed a Consent order with our local board of dentistry ordering him to take classes and pay nearly $5,000 restitution to his patient. We can't get our money back for the plan but we aren't going to use his services even if they were free. Some dentists, especially after Covid, are acting more like salesmen, than the professionals they pretend to be. I urge everyone to use Healthgrades or other review sites before medical appointments. One thing I learned is to always, always ask them to explain how a procedure is medically necessary. Follow your gut instincts.

Just don't get me started....

OP, if you have a decent breathing equipment supplier they will offer you several choices so you can find a nasal device that you are comfortable with so don't borrow trouble from tomorrow. Take it one step at a time.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
OP,doctors can tell by the size of your neck if you have sleep apnea.
I thought that was the thyroid The eye Doctor said large chest and overweight people. Mostly men but women like me. Next time I will keep my mouth shut about taking naps and waking up with a headache that's what started the whole thing.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:22 AM

3,506 posts, read 3,035,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I thought that was the thyroid The eye Doctor said large chest and overweight people. Mostly men but women like me. Next time I will keep my mouth shut about taking naps and waking up with a headache that's what started the whole thing.
LOL no, that conversation could have saved your life!

And I've had my CPAP for going on 20 years, and it does not make me feel old! You have to get the stereotypes out of your head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness