Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 04:25 PM

2,649 posts, read 1,177,499 times

Advertisements

Ok I did the home test. Turns out according to the test results I have mild sleep apnea

I go back to the Doctor next week to see which one or whatever type of elephant face covering he thinks I should have. I will tell him flat out no mouth covering. I don't sleep with my mouth open and I know because I never wake up with dry mouth or from snoring. I hope this helps me.

When I miss my early afternoon 2 hour nap then by 5pm I am wiped out and need that nap at the later time of day. But then if I give in and nap around 5pm I am up to late at night.

Routine I need routine. I hope the box thing isn't to big I only have one bedside table.

EDIT: Thank you everyone for all your advice. I will soon know if it's truly apnea that is doing this to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 06:25 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Ok I did the home test. Turns out according to the test results I have mild sleep apnea

I go back to the Doctor next week to see which one or whatever type of elephant face covering he thinks I should have. I will tell him flat out no mouth covering. I don't sleep with my mouth open and I know because I never wake up with dry mouth or from snoring. I hope this helps me.

When I miss my early afternoon 2 hour nap then by 5pm I am wiped out and need that nap at the later time of day. But then if I give in and nap around 5pm I am up to late at night.

Routine I need routine. I hope the box thing isn't to big I only have one bedside table.

EDIT: Thank you everyone for all your advice. I will soon know if it's truly apnea that is doing this to me.
Newer CPAP machines are very compact, at least that's what I've heard. And quiet. Mine is an almost 20 year old monster which will need to be replaced soon.

I couldn't wear the full face and/or mouth masks either they made me feel claustrophobic. Request a NASAL mask. I can't tolerate the nasal pillows, but they may work for you and lots of people find them very comfortable. They shouldn't tell you what mask they think you should have - they should make sure that you have a mask that is comfortable to you so that you will use it.

However, note that it could take a little while to get used to it. I don't even remember how long it took me, but it wasn't long.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:30 PM

Well now I after months of waiting for the company to melt the plastic and make the Cpap from scratch, that's how it long it seemed to take, I finally got it.

I hate hate hate hate it. I tried to wear it and I can't make it the air blow less than the #4 which is to much for me. I woke up last night around 1 or 2 am because I actually had to go to the bathroom not wake up then think bathroom I knew immediately.

I get back to bed and I had fiddle frig around with it to get it back on and so I ripped it off before I actually got it on thinking in my sleepy fog and went right back to sleep. I woke up around 8:30 drenched in sweat as usual.

I don't like that it's not like the nasal cannula type that isn't so big and allow the patient to set the a dial for the speed and amount of air that blows into the nostrils. Honestly I think I am better off with a little mini fan to blow on my face since I am expected to accept the air that blows on hand, arm and wherever that is in front of me.

I know its only one night still I can see this is to much. How the heck does anyone get use to something like this especially when there are absolutely no options to make it more comfortable.

I think being over weight is why we need the contraption and why we have sleep apnea.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:59 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Well, IMHO and just from my experience, many GPs that I have gone to seem to fancy themselves
as Psychiatrists.

Cannot diagnose their way out of a paper-bag, so they use some very fishy hocus-pocus!

Old 08-04-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, IMHO and just from my experience, many GPs that I have gone to seem to fancy themselves
as Psychiatrists.

Cannot diagnose their way out of a paper-bag, so they use some very fishy hocus-pocus!
It was originally suggested by an eye Doctor who made the reason of having a large chest that is what contributes to getting it. I think she just misspoke and meant to say people over weight get sleep apnea.

I hate the smell and I woke up choking with really thick saliva in my throat. I was coughing so much and got up turned it off and had to spit out that horrible taste and thick choking saliva stuck in my throat.

I think it is the disinfectant that causes that sickening smell. I washed the nose rubber part and the chamber part that holds the distilled water.

I do wish they gave patients a one week trial period but noo they make make a 30 day trial of at least 4 hours a night wearing this thing or the Insurance won't pay. Geez they really try to make people get stuck with it. Today I will soak the tubes to try and get that stench and awful taste out of it.

I tried calling the number to get them to let me return it before I have it a whole week but I keep getting a message telling me what number to press to place an order for parts. Even the damn Doctors office will not give me the number to return it.

I just can't adjust to something that makes me choke like that. So far I wake up about 2 hours after going to bed and end up taking the damn thing off. I hate this think and prefer to die than be tortured by this thing.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
You need to see a respiratory therapist or someone at a Medical supply place - you need to find the mask that works for you!

There are many many many options (do a google search).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness