Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 06:01 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
For something that is considered a necessity for older people, (aren't we told that over and over about it) and considering the debilitating effects of it if gotten, many unable to pay 400. for 2 shots... I think it is outrageous. Not that difficult to comprehend.
It's recommended for anyone over age 50. It was originally recommended for anyone over 60 years old, back in 2011. That age was changed to 50 in 2017.

You can't get medicare until you're 65. That means if you're only just now deciding that you should get it, and you're on medicare, you -might- have had the opportunity to get it free before you went on medicare. If you're just turning 50 (or 60) now, then you're not on medicare, and can either get it free with your health insurance, or free by contacting GSK, OR - you're earning enough money that you can pay for it out of pocket - which helps offset GSK's choice to give it free to those who can't afford it and aren't insured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 12:22 PM

7,779 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
For something that is considered a necessity for older people, (aren't we told that over and over about it) and considering the debilitating effects of it if gotten, many unable to pay 400. for 2 shots... I think it is outrageous. Not that difficult to comprehend.
"Older People" - seniors - are the wealthiest of all age cohorts.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:14 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
"Older People" - seniors - are the wealthiest of all age cohorts.
that's because some are ridiculously rich, but others are undeniably impoverished.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:23 PM

1,380 posts, read 724,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
that's because some are ridiculously rich, but others are undeniably impoverished.
Exactly, but there are some who only see the one side.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:10 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Got my Covid booster and asked about shingles shot. Chain drug store quoted $200 for the first shot! There are two shots involved. Could that be correct?

Too bad you haven't come back. Try GoodRx.

You don't say if you're on medicare. People pick their drug plan in November by also looking up the shingles vaccine to see if it is covered under any drug plan offered that you can switch to.

Mine was almost free because I was in the catastrophic stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I am on disability and there is no supplement plan available because of my age.

Not true. It's just harder to find.

I'm 57 now, been with BCBS medigap about 10 years now. Cost is $125 a month with the one time deductible plan D or you pay about $225 for the other plan C that doesn't have the deductible. You have to call BCBS to ask, that's what I did.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:40 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
It IS true - not in your area apparently but in mine there as NOT.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:47 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
I had my second shingles shot yesterday.

I had to sign a waiver saying that I understood the in-clinic price would be $213, exactly the price of the first shot which I got in Arizona at Walgreens. Our California clinic dumped their homegrown pharmacy years ago and installed Walgreens in its place. Once Walgreens moved in, I stopped using that pharmacy.

So two shots = $426. And no, I didn't screen Part D plans with an eye towards the shingles shots. I was more interested in the Part D provider giving me a great price on Symbicort. They did and I've come out ahead.

After 24 hours, I have muscle and joint pain but no fatigue.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:37 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I paid $200 for the first shot at Walmart. That seems to have triggered the next stage of coverage with my drug insurance because the next Rx I filled was discounted.

I got TDAP and pneumonia shots (one of those cost $58) at the same time, in the same arm. The tech said those two wouldn't hurt going in or later, but I think she did them too fast because they hurt quite a bit. Tech said the shingrix would hurt going in, but she did it slowly, and it didn't hurt at all.

That arm was sore for a couple of days, but I could sleep on that side. I was a little tired, maybe.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:16 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Check at Costco.

Costco charges actual wholesale price plus their normal markup.All chains, and most independents, have contracts with PBMs ( https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...-drug-spending ) so they are contractually bound to sell at AWP (average wholesale price) which is much higher plus their normal markup

When I worked a Humana and also Walmart, I always suggested that patents try Costco (you do not need a membership to use pharmacy)

Old 05-21-2022, 05:41 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Shingrix, as are all vaccines, are fully covered under ACA plans, with no deductible, no co-pay. Got mine a few years ago.

Not looking forward to Medicare when the time comes. Fewer things are covered 100%, monthly premiums for all the parts I'll need, will be between 3x to 5x more than I currently pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness