Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 05:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,248,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Obviously the underlying reason for surgery and specific procedure planned to address it will influence how much post-op pain to expect. Without knowing the details of your procedure it would be difficult to comment. Mine was a straightforward THR. I received a spinal block for the procedure and a time-release morphine derivative over the subsequent 24 hours. The medication caused more trouble (nausea) than the pain it was supposed to prevent. Didn't take anything for pain after that 24 hours and was up crutching up and down the hall the next morning, then discharged the next day. The incision hurt a little but it didn't bother me enough to do anything about. Of course, there's a big caveat here...I was not weight bearing for the next 6 weeks so that obviously affected how much pain would be expected. May be a different matter for a patient who IS supposed to bear weight right away. When I got rid of the crutches and bore weight again, the only pain I felt was an mild femur ache after walking for a while. It was certainly bearable.
Happy for you. I really need to tell the next doctor that not only am I a scaredy cat but I need a thorough as possible explanation of what's happening during and after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 07:17 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,023,860 times
I had my first THR about 10 years ago and had to get up out of hospital bed the following day. Weightbearing was what I was supposed to do. When I got home, I had PT in home 3 times a week for 3 weeks. We walked down the block during the last session. The pain was tolerated by easing off the opioids to Tylenol because the other meds gave me bad constipation.
The second THR was about 18 months later. Same routine although I skipped the PT completely. I still have intermittent pain on that side due to a muscle/ligament problem, which I just put up with. Both hips gave me the ability to walk without pain, as both were bone on bone. You might lay around for a few days but all will be good.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:06 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Just for information, when I last saw my doctor, the surgeon, he finally told me in no uncertain words that I would experience a lot of pain after the operation. And pain meds like opioids would only be available for 3 days since the govt put a restriction on that type of thing. (I think he was a little upset that day, lol...) I was willing to continue but something happened with him that is driving me to see another surgeon. I won't go into detail. He told me quite vociferously that not only would I experience a lot of pain but that I would need most likely to be in a rehab place for weeks. Oh well, I guess he might have been out of sorts that day -- I'm not disputing him, but yes, I have seen many people say they were up and running almost right away. That would be nice if it happens in my case. Anyway -- as the saying goes -- have a good one! (Still coping and hoping thinking to go ahead with the operation so I can experience less pain in the 'long run,' pun almost intended.)
Wow. You must be a very different case. I have had two THRs, left one in 2014 and right one was last year. I was walking a mile in less than a week, both times. Back at work, driving, and in the gym, in 2 weeks. I did take the percoset with the first one, simply because I thought I was supposed to. But the side effects were horrible (constipation) and when the 2nd time came around, I was dreading that. Thankfully they told me to only take the opiods if I really needed it. I never did. Managed just fine with Extra Strength Tylenol. Pain was minimal.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:40 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,189,169 times
Cindi Waters - I do understand having the feeling that a doctor isn't right for you....all kinds of reasons!! Here's a suggestion that I sometimes use to find things in my area. First, can you ask friends/neighbors/family/church to suggest a good surgeon for your hip replacement?

Second, I sometimes go to the very beginning of the CITY DATA FORUM General Forums where everything is listed by city and state. I select my state, then my city or area, and will ask people to refer me to a good doctor, and I describe what kind of doctor, and why I need a doc...for yours I would just say you need a hip replacement done by a good surgeon.

I have gotten some very good doctor information that way. My own doctor never gives me referrals to doctors who have good ratings on Google or Healthgrades. I love my own doctor and have never understood why she only refers me to substandard doctors. Their reviews are often critical and the patient had a major reason why they could not use this doctor. Often, I find out when I go on my first visit to the referred doctor that we are not compatible with bedside manner, attitude, etc. So I've stopped taking her referrals, and do all my own research to find the right doctor for myself.

Sometimes I go to a website called Nextddoor.com. First, you'll need to set up an account which only takes a few minutes. You are placed within a group of people in your nearby neighborhoods with similar zip codes, Many people who use Nextdoor ask about hip surgeries, dentists, family practitioners, physical therapists, etc and names of doctors/surgeons. There are some very good recommendations given using this method. Sometimes the response is overwhelming and you receive a lot of names and phone numbers...be sure to ask for names of doctors AND THEIR PHONE NUMBERS. And be sure to mention you need a hip replacement.

I hope this gets you started off on the right foot to find a doctor who is a good match for you.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:50 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,189,169 times
Chessie Mom - I have found that extra strength tylenol (I often use the generic version) can relieve a lot of pain!! Not sure why people ever began using opiates?? Plus, because of my age - 74 - I only take one tablet at a time. When we are older, we can cut way back on over the counter meds. Our older bodies don't need the full dose. One tylenol will often keep the pain at bay for several days, for me, but on occasion I do need to take a second dose. I monitor if my pain gets relieved, and if not, I take the full dose only if the pain doesn't go away within 45 minutes, which would be one more tablet.

Be sure to drink 8 ounces of water with Tylenol, which is processed through the liver. We need 8oz of water so our liver doesn't get overloaded with the Tylenol. It could be toxic for us.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:54 PM

2,871 posts, read 2,117,070 times
of course experiences are different but here goes anyway. experience for me was the same for both surgeries, basic THA

I had anterior approach for both hips. was up and walking with a walker and PT folks within a couple hours of hitting my room. pain was not bad but they also used local anesthetic (a lipid based bupivacaine suspension) that helped with pain.

I went home the morning after surgery, my prescribed PT was walking, no PT came to my house and I did not go to PT, just walk. I had a friend here to help but for the most part they didn't need to be here. it was nice not to have to cook but I could have done it if needed and it was nice to have them on my short walks with me.

I did have a nurse come once/week to check incision, change dressing and that's about all they had to do.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,331 posts, read 80,658,912 times
My mother-in-law had both hips replaced, at age 80 and 82. Both times she spend 2-3 weeks at a convalescent hospital where they did physical therapy until she was ready to come home. She had a senior apartment but lived alone, and was able to get along fine when she returned, but had neighbors to check in on her along with us.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:41 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Chessie Mom - I have found that extra strength tylenol (I often use the generic version) can relieve a lot of pain!! Not sure why people ever began using opiates?? Plus, because of my age - 74 - I only take one tablet at a time. When we are older, we can cut way back on over the counter meds. Our older bodies don't need the full dose. One tylenol will often keep the pain at bay for several days, for me, but on occasion I do need to take a second dose. I monitor if my pain gets relieved, and if not, I take the full dose only if the pain doesn't go away within 45 minutes, which would be one more tablet.

Be sure to drink 8 ounces of water with Tylenol, which is processed through the liver. We need 8oz of water so our liver doesn't get overloaded with the Tylenol. It could be toxic for us.
I rarely take anything for pain - if I have a headache I'll take ibuprofen but really it is rare. I do keep the extra strength Tylenol on hand just in case someone needs something stronger. I have never drank 8oz of water with it though. I just take a swig, just like I do with vitamins. Not worried about it though as like I said, I rarely need anything for pain.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow. You must be a very different case. I have had two THRs, left one in 2014 and right one was last year. I was walking a mile in less than a week, both times. Back at work, driving, and in the gym, in 2 weeks. I did take the percoset with the first one, simply because I thought I was supposed to. But the side effects were horrible (constipation) and when the 2nd time came around, I was dreading that. Thankfully they told me to only take the opiods if I really needed it. I never did. Managed just fine with Extra Strength Tylenol. Pain was minimal.
Yes, I'm looking forward to that. If I could tolerate the pain I have now I wouldn't go through an operation. But it prevents me from doing much. So I intend to find a new doctor soon.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My mother-in-law had both hips replaced, at age 80 and 82. Both times she spend 2-3 weeks at a convalescent hospital where they did physical therapy until she was ready to come home. She had a senior apartment but lived alone, and was able to get along fine when she returned, but had neighbors to check in on her along with us.
Very nice. I intend to go through with this (eventually), and I'll let you all know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness