Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2022, 09:53 PM

76 posts, read 90,848 times

Advertisements

Currently I wear contacts outside and glasses inside and been wearing single vision lenses. My vision has changed and I can't see up close like I used to.

Went see the Dr and got an eye exam. She recommends progressive glasses and multifocal contacts for my eyes. When I tried the multifocal contacts, farther distance is kind of burry to me. I was told it would take awhile for my eyes to adjust to the multifocal.

Does anyone know if there would be a chance it won't adjust and stays burry with the multifocal lenses?

Also, I haven't tried the progressive glasses yet, would this be the same thing? Farther distance would be burry and would take awhile for my eyes to adjust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 10:00 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Talk to your doctor about the multifocal contacts. I lose "the last 10% to infinity" range but it's not noticable. The ability to read your smartphone is a Godsend, but be aware the multifocal contacts cost 4x as much as the single focal lenses.

Progressive lenses are traditional bifocal glasses, you just cant see the line that separates the reading glasses from the distance glasses portion. I generally have far better visual acuity with the progressives, but I definitely wear the multifocal contacts when I have a hot new date, or want to do sports.

Not everybody is a candidate for Lasik which tends to fix one problem but not the other, and this is Life now.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
I wear single vision everywhere I go,progressive evades me ,

Old 04-17-2022, 08:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Unfortunately multifocal contacts can be difficult. I had one brand that worked well for me but was ultimately discontinued. I’ve tried others and the issue I normally have is that they move around too much and end up being blurry. Those are the ones that work. The others just make me nauseated. A lot of people do what is called mono vision and have one for close and one for far, but that also makes me ill.

I’ve given up and just wear progressive lenses. Unfortunately this is something where the more expensive types seem to be easier to adjust to because they have a larger field of vision. It will take you a couple of weeks to get used to them regardless. You can always do distance contacts and get a cheap bifocal or reading only glasses to wear with them.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:12 PM

It sucks that I would have to wear these multifocal contacts for awhile to even find out if it will be better while having to deal with burry vision wearing them. I think I will just stick with the single vision, I mean the only issue with single vision is up close like less then 1 feet away.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:09 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I don't wear contacts. I have progressives. I don't think progressives is as good as mono vision glasses plus reading glasses, but I've gotten used to them. It's a lot easier than carrying around 2 pairs of spectacles. My progressives glasses were super duper expensive, but that's primarily because I have a weird prescription.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't wear contacts. I have progressives. I don't think progressives is as good as mono vision glasses plus reading glasses, but I've gotten used to them. It's a lot easier than carrying around 2 pairs of spectacles. My progressives glasses were super duper expensive, but that's primarily because I have a weird prescription.
How long did it take for your eyes to adapt to the progressive glasses? Did you have long distance burry vision the first time wearing them?

That's the issue I"m facing right now, I was told I would have to wait awhile up to months for my eyes to adjust to multifocal/progressives lenses.

My concern is that would there be a chance that my eyes don't adjust and it stays burry with multifocal/progressive lenses?

Old 04-24-2022, 02:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qzaa3 View Post
How long did it take for your eyes to adapt to the progressive glasses? Did you have long distance burry vision the first time wearing them?

That's the issue I"m facing right now, I was told I would have to wait awhile up to months for my eyes to adjust to multifocal/progressives lenses.

My concern is that would there be a chance that my eyes don't adjust and it stays burry with multifocal/progressive lenses?
Blurry, no - there was no blurriness. I had double-vision sporadically for around a month, and the astigmatism correction actually gave me the symptoms of severe astigmatism for around the same period of time (straight lines looked curved, perception was slightly skewed).

Eventually all that fixed itself and now my eyes "understand" what they're supposed to be seeing. New prescriptions don't require more than a few days for my eyes to adjust now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness