Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 07:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
What if it's macular degeneration. Needs to be seen by eye doctor to diagnose her issue. If macular degeneration then treatment is needed asap to prevent from it getting worse and to avoid going blind.

If she's seeing a doctor, then perhaps the eye issue has already been diagnosed. But macular degeneration treatment is not to be delayed.
3 different doctors have different diagnosis,but she said it is not cataract or glaucoma.
one eye -it is like looking out of a dirty window (she had a stroke sometime ago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 05:59 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
3 different doctors have different diagnosis,but she said it is not cataract or glaucoma.
one eye -it is like looking out of a dirty window (she had a stroke sometime ago)
What are the 3 diff diagnoses? What kind of surgery is suggested?

Old 04-18-2022, 06:37 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
Quote:
What were the three different diagnoses?

If she says cataract has been ruled out by three different doctors, why do you believe she would be a candidate for cataract surgery?

OP, you say she had a stroke. Is it possible that due to the stroke your friend is not able to accurately remember details from medical appointments and convey that information back to you?

I would suggest that she needs to see a qualified ophthalmologist to accurately diagnose her problem and figure out a course of treatment. If she has already seen one (or three), what were the diagnoses and what treatments were suggested? Did she follow the doctor's instructions?

Old 04-18-2022, 09:27 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
I am asking this for a friend of mine,
She is a big time smoker and coffee drinker,and in her 70s.
Lately she has been seeing different doctors about one eye which sees everything like thru a dirty window.
She claims it is not cataract or glacoma,and she has been using eyedrop called YOU SEE>
I think she is fooling herself that some eyedrop will solve her problem,
Do you think cataract surgery would solve her problem?
She lives alone ,is there any organisation which could help her if she wants to undergo surgery?
thanks for any reply.
I think the eye drop is Can-C, it has NAC in it and some people claim it has helped their cataracts and other eye issues.

It is hard to gauge what is going on with her, not enough info on her diagnoses or why she doesn't agree with any of the doctors she has seen.

When someone says they feel like they are looking out of a dirty window, often a corneal problem is suspected. That is exactly how it feels with a cornea that isn't clear - like a dirty windshield. Sometimes it is dry spots on the eye surface, and eye doctors don't always take that very seriously or they are just limited in what they can do as there is no real cure.

As far as cataracts, they are easily diagnosed sometimes just by shining a flashlight in the eye but an opthalmologist can very easily observe them even at an early stage, it isn't something subjective at all.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:45 PM

she has been told she has cataract,refractory vision...(unable to focus) or something else
when doctor left the room,nurse has her looked into that cataract machine and said she does not have cataract .
But her stroke could have done some damage to her one eye.
I am trying to get her to contact Lion club 9 miles away,and see if they can help her.
my doctor said C see does not work,if it does,she should be fine now?

Old 04-18-2022, 12:51 PM

I just called the Lion's Club in Smyrna and they said they just help with financial matter ,so may be she could call the state senator or congressman office to get someone .
thanks for all your response

Old 04-18-2022, 03:13 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
Quote:
I just called the Lion's Club in Smyrna and they said they just help with financial matter ,so may be she could call the state senator or congressman office to get someone .
What would calling her senator or congressman do?

So one of the doctors stated that she had a cataract and wanted to treat her for cataract, but she declined treatment because when the doctor was out of the room, the nurse told her she didn't have cataracts?

I think getting a second opinion is always a good idea because doctors are human and everyone makes mistakes, but... I worry what we have here is your friend ignoring medical advice from three doctors and trying to practice medicine herself (i.e. ordering eyedrops that aren't working.)

Old 04-18-2022, 03:35 PM

This is exactly what she is doing.
I was hoping Lion Club will send someone to see her and help her to see a doctor,get surgery etc,but this Lion Club said their resources are limited (manpower),they can only help with getting free supply,glasses etc.
I know in iLL,the state Congressman office has a binder which lists organisations offer free food,free ride ,free housecleaning ,legal advice for those who need them.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:09 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
This is exactly what she is doing.
I was hoping Lion Club will send someone to see her and help her to see a doctor,get surgery etc,but this Lion Club said their resources are limited (manpower),they can only help with getting free supply,glasses etc.
I know in iLL,the state Congressman office has a binder which lists organisations offer free food,free ride ,free housecleaning ,legal advice for those who need them.
It sounds as though your friend's biggest problem is her unwillingness to seek and accept the medical attention she may need for her eyesight. No matter what kind of resources there are out there to help, no one can force her to get the help she needs if she refuses to accept or go along with a diagnosis or plan of care to treat it. Seeking second opinions if she has questions or is uncertain about a diagnosis she gets is acceptable, but doctor shopping till she finds one that will say only what she wants to hear won't help her. You could get her free you name it, and limosine transportation with a wet bar to and from her surgery, but it won't get her there unless she is willing to do it. And if she has the resources to get the care she needs and transportation but won't do it because she is unwilling to use those resources, I'd say that is her problem not yours. As they say, you can lead a horse to water...........

On the other hand, if she is willing to work with health care professionals, and gets a diagnosis, her Medicare will most likely pay for treatment ( she would be subject to copays, if any, based on the terms of her Medicare), and many of the eye care professionals/eye clinics or surgery centers may have free transportation for their surgical patients who need it. Whether or not they do is something you find out by asking them.

I suspect in the event you were able to contact a state legislator, he/she would tell you the same thing.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:52 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
What would calling her senator or congressman do?

So one of the doctors stated that she had a cataract and wanted to treat her for cataract, but she declined treatment because when the doctor was out of the room, the nurse told her she didn't have cataracts?

I think getting a second opinion is always a good idea because doctors are human and everyone makes mistakes, but... I worry what we have here is your friend ignoring medical advice from three doctors and trying to practice medicine herself (i.e. ordering eyedrops that aren't working.)

The only thing OP can really do to help her is to find the best eye doctor around, within reason of course, 15 minutes, 30 to 60 away, OP drives her there.

See what that eye doctor says, sounds like she has cataracts and who knows if she will believe this doctor either?

I'd research neglecting cataract advice

The Dangers of Ignoring Cataract Symptoms

Quote:
Delaying Treatment of Advanced Forms of the Common Eye Disease Can Increase Risk of Permanent Blindness and Injury

The American Academy of Ophthalmology urges seniors and their caregivers to be aware of the dangers of ignoring the symptoms of cataracts, a leading cause of visual impairment that will affect more than half of all Americans by the time they are 80 years old. Delaying diagnosis and treatment of age-related cataracts can increase seniors' risk of permanent blindness and can lead to both physical and psychological damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness