Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 02:29 PM

761 posts, read 445,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
I've been having dry skin lately (all over my body) and I figured I'm probably chronically dehydrated, because I rarely drink 8 8 oz glasses of water per day.. Not anywhere near that, usually. So, last week I started drinking more. I have large glasses that hold about 32 ounces and although I have drank a full glass in one sitting, I almost always fill it half way (16 oz/ 2 cups). (I've read that your kidneys can process 32 oz per hour) I then set a timer for 2 hours and drink another. I would be urinating every 5 minutes, but the color usually wasn't completely clear. (It was very pale yellow) I would do this for about 3 times a day, with an allotment for other liquids, like a cup or tea or kombucha. Altogether I don't think I consumed more than 1 gallon per day, probably more like 3/4 gallon at most.

I'm getting worried because it's been about 5-6 days I've had a headache that is not going away. I'm also feeling tired more than usual and am not in the best mood. The headache is minor (I can almost convince myself that I'm imagining it), but it's not going away. It's worse when I sit or stand. I think I may have experienced this before, but it has never lasted this long.

I consumed this larger amount (.5- .75 gallons) for 3-4 days and have gone back to my normal amount for 5-6. Also I should note, I had asparagus during this time. I'm not sure if the added diuretic could have made a big difference, but I feel like I didn't drink excessive amounts of water and it's bizarre that I'm experiencing negative effects..

I'm male, early 30's, 6 ft and 132 lbs.

If I did have mild brain swelling from hyponatremia, will it resolve on it's own?
Brain swelling? Do you feel pressure building up in your head? Is that what it's like?

Are you a vegan? Do you eat lots of health foods? Omega 3?

Do you take lots of supplements? Fish oil etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 02:56 PM

182 posts, read 204,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Brain swelling? Do you feel pressure building up in your head? Is that what it's like?

Are you a vegan? Do you eat lots of health foods? Omega 3?

Do you take lots of supplements? Fish oil etc.?
It's like a very minor pressure headache, or like when you hold your breath for as long as you can and then breathe again.. It feels like I just need to sleep. Like if I do, when I wake up it will be back to normal, but it never is..
I am not vegan or vegetarian. I do take a fish oil supplement, but not every day and yes, I do eat very healthy foods. Supplements I take semi-regularly include: olive leaf (low dose, once a day), echinacea, garlic, vitamin C, Vitamin D and a multi vitamin (sometimes). There are others, that I take occasionally, but it would be a long list. I also mix Collagen peptides, maca, moringa and matcha green tea powder with water. I try to drink this regularly, but I often forget to.

Last edited by Hawaii900; 04-25-2022 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-25-2022, 04:00 PM

6,966 posts, read 4,807,617 times
*When* did you have labs done, and what did they test for? *When* did you see the doctor?

If your doc is not hearing you or answering your questions, maybe you should look for another doctor.

Old 04-25-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
*When* did you have labs done, and what did they test for? *When* did you see the doctor?

If your doc is not hearing you or answering your questions, maybe you should look for another doctor.
Labs were done 4/15. It was a comprehensive metabolic panel. Sodium: 143 mmol/L. Saw the doctor yesterday.
Compared to others I have seen, this doctor isn't too terrible. It really doesn't matter who I see, it seems. They're all more or less the same. I almost always end up figuring things out myself through exhaustive research and natural remedies.. In this case that isn't really an option.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:14 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,393,535 times
Have you tried eating more salt since you think you might have hyponatremia? Or adding some electrolyte powder to your water?
Force-feeding yourself water might have diluted your electrolytes.

Just a suggestion--try pausing all the supplements and extra water for a few weeks. Eat something fatty for your skin.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Have you tried eating more salt since you think you might have hyponatremia? Or adding some electrolyte powder to your water?
Force-feeding yourself water might have diluted your electrolytes.

Just a suggestion--try pausing all the supplements and extra water for a few weeks. Eat something fatty for your skin.
Yes, I have been consuming a little extra salt, though I didn't want to over-do it. I stopped with the extra water immediately when I first noticed the headache.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:23 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,393,535 times
I don't think you need to worry about overdoing salt unless you have high blood pressure and salt makes it worse, or you have kidney problems. It is, after all, a necessary nutrient.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
Get your sodium checked with a blood test ASAP. If your sodium falls into the 20's you could be hospitalized and out of it until they bring your levels up. Drinking too much liquid can wash away your sodium. It happened to my cousin and she was hospitalized for a week, totally out of it until they raised her sodium to the 30's.Abpout two liters of liquid a day should be adequate unless you exercise or work in the sun and sweat a lot.
Quote:
I've been having dry skin lately (all over my body) and I figured I'm probably chronically dehydrated, because I rarely drink 8 8 oz glasses of water per day.. Not anywhere near that, usually. So, last week I started drinking more. I have large glasses that hold about 32 ounces and although I have drank a full glass in one sitting, I almost always fill it half way (16 oz/ 2 cups). (I've read that your kidneys can process 32 oz per hour) I then set a timer for 2 hours and drink another. I would be urinating every 5 minutes, but the color usually wasn't completely clear. (It was very pale yellow) I would do this for about 3 times a day, with an allotment for other liquids, like a cup or tea or kombucha. Altogether I don't think I consumed more than 1 gallon per day, probably more like 3/4 gallon at most.

I'm getting worried because it's been about 5-6 days I've had a headache that is not going away. I'm also feeling tired more than usual and am not in the best mood. The headache is minor (I can almost convince myself that I'm imagining it), but it's not going away. It's worse when I sit or stand. I think I may have experienced this before, but it has never lasted this long.

I consumed this larger amount (.5- .75 gallons) for 3-4 days and have gone back to my normal amount for 5-6. Also I should note, I had asparagus during this time. I'm not sure if the added diuretic could have made a big difference, but I feel like I didn't drink excessive amounts of water and it's bizarre that I'm experiencing negative effects..

I'm male, early 30's, 6 ft and 132 lbs.

If I did have mild brain swelling from hyponatremia, will it resolve on it's own?

Old 04-25-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Get your sodium checked with a blood test ASAP. If your sodium falls into the 20's you could be hospitalized and out of it until they bring your levels up. Drinking too much liquid can wash away your sodium. It happened to my cousin and she was hospitalized for a week, totally out of it until they raised her sodium to the 30's.Abpout two liters of liquid a day should be adequate unless you exercise or work in the sun and sweat a lot.
It's been about a week already and I don't think i'm getting worse. I don't think I exceeded 2 liters of water on any day, at least not by much. My concern is actually the water + asparagus (Which is a powerful diuretic). I didn't even think about it until after the fact.. I ate asparagus at least 2 of the days while I was drinking an increased amount of water..

How much time had passed before your cousin was hospitalized?

Old 04-26-2022, 09:54 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
Quote:
It's been about a week already and I don't think i'm getting worse. I don't think I exceeded 2 liters of water on any day, at least not by much. My concern is actually the water + asparagus (Which is a powerful diuretic). I didn't even think about it until after the fact.. I ate asparagus at least 2 of the days while I was drinking an increased amount of water..

How much time had passed before your cousin was hospitalized?
I don't know. She had been drinking too much water for a while. They found her incoherent in front of her apartment and put her in the hospital. It took about 5 days for her sodium to get into the 30's. She was completely incoherent for several days. Now she takes a salt pill every day, which was prescribed for her and doesn't drink more than a couple of liters of liquid a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness