Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 10:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,588,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oh Balderdash! I wish it were that simple. I have tears. What I don’t have is lipids for lubrication. I also know that some people lose the glands around their eyes. There is also some relationship to diabetes.

I do agree to drinking plenty of water for general health reasons, but that is not my problem. Dry eye is a progressive disease. It tends to worsen over time. This is what I’ve experienced.

I’ve recently visited my very thorough optometrist, and a good ophthalmologist. Neither disagrees with the other about my diagnosis.

There just does not seem to be a good answer. I think I will try a treatment recommended by my optometrist. I will try to be optimistic.

Yes, Restasis is finally, finally available as a generic. It has always been expensive. Now that the cost has gone down, it no longer works well for me.

This. You can drink all the water in the world and it won't fix the problem.

My dry eye problem seems related to staring at a computer screen all day long. My eye doctor prescribed warm compress, a foam to deal with blepharitis, HydroEye suppliments, and Xiidra. All those together worked, however, by reducing my screen time I was able to drop the HydoEye and Xiidra without my dry eyes getting back to being a serious problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 10:25 AM

603 posts, read 832,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
This. You can drink all the water in the world and it won't fix the problem.

My dry eye problem seems related to staring at a computer screen all day long. My eye doctor prescribed warm compress, a foam to deal with blepharitis, HydroEye suppliments, and Xiidra. All those together worked, however, by reducing my screen time I was able to drop the HydoEye and Xiidra without my dry eyes getting back to being a serious problem.
Working all day at a computer definitely exacerbates dry eye, and is probably the cause for some people. I have to remind myself to blink more when I am staring at the screen. Reducing screen time and spending more time outdoors helps my dry eye as well as the eyedrops and Heyedrate.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:06 PM

761 posts, read 436,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oh Balderdash! I wish it were that simple. I have tears. What I don’t have is lipids for lubrication. I also know that some people lose the glands around their eyes. There is also some relationship to diabetes.

I do agree to drinking plenty of water for general health reasons, but that is not my problem. Dry eye is a progressive disease. It tends to worsen over time. This is what I’ve experienced.

I’ve recently visited my very thorough optometrist, and a good ophthalmologist. Neither disagrees with the other about my diagnosis.

There just does not seem to be a good answer. I think I will try a treatment recommended by my optometrist. I will try to be optimistic.

Yes, Restasis is finally, finally available as a generic. It has always been expensive. Now that the cost has gone down, it no longer works well for me.
I didn't post that link to you, I posted it for anyone who might be interested because there were others who said they also had dry eyes. You never know who might be helped, it might help someone but of course it won't be the answer for everyone.

Old 05-01-2022, 03:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I didn't post that link to you, I posted it for anyone who might be interested because there were others who said they also had dry eyes. You never know who might be helped, it might help someone but of course it won't be the answer for everyone.
OK. I apologize for being cranky. It seems to me that people are quick to suggest simple solutions to complex problems. In my case, I’ve had this for over a decade. My doc reminds me that dry eye is progressive. My condition has indeed progressed. Again, I apologize.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:23 PM

46 posts, read 41,291 times
This probably won't help the OP, but posting if it may be useful for someone. A few years back I had terrible problems with dry eye, would wake up at night with eye pain from it. I stopped wearing contacts altogether, and took Restasis for a while but it didn't seem that it was helping that much. I stopped the Restasis and after experimentation found a routine that has been working well for me, and I can now wear contacts again. I'm now 62, the dry eye started in my mid 50s.

Thera Tears Eye Nutrition (flaxseed/fish oil capsules) - taken daily

Genteal Severe Dry Eye gel - applied at night before going to sleep

Genteal Moderate Dry Eye drops - applied daily before inserting contacts

Ocusoft Eyelid Cleanser pads - use a few times a week

The Thera Tears Eye Nutrition capsules were a game changer for me, it wasn't long after I started taking those that my eyes felt noticeably better.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:02 PM

I’ve scheduled the treatment. I am hoping for good results.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:16 PM

21,526 posts, read 12,611,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue512 View Post
This probably won't help the OP, but posting if it may be useful for someone. A few years back I had terrible problems with dry eye, would wake up at night with eye pain from it. I stopped wearing contacts altogether, and took Restasis for a while but it didn't seem that it was helping that much. I stopped the Restasis and after experimentation found a routine that has been working well for me, and I can now wear contacts again. I'm now 62, the dry eye started in my mid 50s.

Thera Tears Eye Nutrition (flaxseed/fish oil capsules) - taken daily

Genteal Severe Dry Eye gel - applied at night before going to sleep

Genteal Moderate Dry Eye drops - applied daily before inserting contacts

Ocusoft Eyelid Cleanser pads - use a few times a week

The Thera Tears Eye Nutrition capsules were a game changer for me, it wasn't long after I started taking those that my eyes felt noticeably better.
If you started taking all these things at once, how do you know WHICH is helping, or are you just assuming they are all necessary?

My problem resolved with just Walmart generic artificial tears: one drop per eye at bedtime.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:29 PM

19,311 posts, read 9,404,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had a terrible problem with dry eyes a few years ago. The Eye Doctor recommended I try Thera Tears eye drops and it did the job. I have used it every day with excellent results. TheraTears doesn't have all the chemicals some other eye drops have. So if you need in several times a day it's better to use Thera Tears. I use it twice a day.
Thera Tears, occasional warm eyes compress (plug in, adj heat settings) and the occasional Claritan, esp when cutting grass or driving.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:59 AM

48,301 posts, read 34,433,441 times
I'm having the same problem, and have to wait forever for an opthamologist.

Like the OP, one of my main problems is the lack lipids. I'm increasing my fish oil in the meantime, and using preservative free drops. I remember that I was allergic to the preservatives in saline when I wore contacts. So just in case.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-08-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm having the same problem, and have to wait forever for an opthamologist.

Like the OP, one of my main problems is the lack lipids. I'm increasing my fish oil in the meantime, and using preservative free drops. I remember that I was allergic to the preservatives in saline when I wore contacts. So just in case.
Good luck!

Use warm moist packs on eyes for comfort. There are good eye drops at Costco. Brand is Refresh. They have no preservatives.

I’ve taken cod liver oil for several years, with no improvement. I am taking the “approved” fish oil med now, but have no faith in it. Have the doc check your glands for possible blockages.

Dry eye is a royal pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness