Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 02:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with dry eye around 2011. I have taken Restasis since then. This condition has progressed and I now have eye irritation and soreness during the day. I am considering having LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation treatment. There are other treatments, but based on evidence that my ducts are blocked, I think the treatment has a good chance of working.

Have any of you had success treating your dry eye symptoms?

I do have an excellent optometrist who is vigilant. I have also seen an ophthalmologist who agrees with the diagnosis of my optometrist. Her recs of warm compresses and ointment provide only temporary comfort, and don’t really manage the condition.

How do you manage your dry eye symptoms? Anyone have experience with LipiFlow, or other treatments, other than eye drops?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 08:21 AM

326 posts, read 200,597 times
Have you tried or has anyone recommended punctal plugs?

Old 04-27-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
Have you tried or has anyone recommended punctal plugs?
Tried first, years ago, before Restasis was prescribed. It had no effect.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:15 PM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
In recent years I never have a problem with dry eye. But many years ago I occasionally did have a problem. What I learned: Whenever I had the problem I would drink a big glass of water and "presto" no more dry eye.

You didn't give your age. Most likely you are an elderly person, and most elderly people are dehydrated.

The reason so many elderly people become dehydrated is that they often have bladder control issues. Perhaps overactive bladder, for one reason or another. And they try to solve the problem by drinking less water.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:43 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I had a terrible problem with dry eyes a few years ago. The Eye Doctor recommended I try Thera Tears eye drops and it did the job. I have used it every day with excellent results. TheraTears doesn't have all the chemicals some other eye drops have. So if you need in several times a day it's better to use Thera Tears. I use it twice a day.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:03 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Along with Restasis we use Blink gel tears for dry eyes. Works well for us. Our ophthalmologist suggested it.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:44 AM

604 posts, read 839,559 times
I use Heyedrate Lid and Lash Cleaner and it helps quite a bit.

https://dryeyerescue.com/collections/heyedrate

I had punctal plug many years ago and they didn't help. I take a multi prong approach to my dry eyes. I drink a lot of water and I use Refresh tears when needed. I used warm compresses once or twice a day for a long time and they did help. When I started using Heyedrate twice a day I don't seem to need the warm compresses much. Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil is supposed to help as well.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
In recent years I never have a problem with dry eye. But many years ago I occasionally did have a problem. What I learned: Whenever I had the problem I would drink a big glass of water and "presto" no more dry eye.

You didn't give your age. Most likely you are an elderly person, and most elderly people are dehydrated.

The reason so many elderly people become dehydrated is that they often have bladder control issues. Perhaps overactive bladder, for one reason or another. And they try to solve the problem by drinking less water.
I am 75. I am not dehydrated. My last blood draw reflected no kidney issues. This is sort of funny. I am nursing a cup of decaf right now.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I use Heyedrate Lid and Lash Cleaner and it helps quite a bit.

https://dryeyerescue.com/collections/heyedrate

I had punctal plug many years ago and they didn't help. I take a multi prong approach to my dry eyes. I drink a lot of water and I use Refresh tears when needed. I used warm compresses once or twice a day for a long time and they did help. When I started using Heyedrate twice a day I don't seem to need the warm compresses much. Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil is supposed to help as well.
My long use of cod liver oil seemed to make no difference. I’ve switched to a different med, which consists of a higher dose of the supposedly active ingredients. I’m doing as suggested, but I suspect it is voodoo. I drink adequate amounts of liquid. I backed off my use of antihistamines from twice a day, to once a day a year or so ago, additionally.

I’ve used lash cleaner, but honestly I don’t think my lashes are dirty or clogged. I use Restasis twice a day, and other artificial tears as needed. Additionally, I replaced my desk lamp for one using a broad spectrum light, and it is easier on my eyes. I stopped running our gas fireplace every day.

Apparently, I have tears, but not enough lipids to lubricate. Maddening.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:47 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
I've had dry eyes for 10 years. My eye doctor was always telling me to use drops. One day he was out of the office for an injury and his substitute was a recent graduate of ophthalmology school.

She diagnosed me with:

Epithelial basement membrane dystrophy (EBMD)

And

Salzmann nodules.

Meaning my corneas were messed up.

I had them scraped and my dry eye condition was substantially alleviated.

I still have dry eyes but not the pain that I used to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness