Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 10:29 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
2 things:

Put food in your stomach soon as you have your coffee (nutrition).

Caffeine is a cardiac stimulant. See a cardiologist. Nausea can be a cardiac symptom

I'm a long time coffee drinker (50+years) and it will make me queasy if I don't eat or drink something nutritious.
I can't eat in the morning, never feel hungry until afternoon. Also, I do intermittent fasting, stomach has to stay empty many hours each day, that is what works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
My go to drink, something that I must have every single day, is a cup of Karak tea. This is really popular in the Middle East, although most Arabic and South Asian people load it with a ridiculous amount of sugar, which makes it not really good for you.

So what I do is get the unsweetened cardamom spice variety of Karak, and drink it with a single pack of organic stevia.

Outstanding drink, very delicious, and with the cardamom, it’s very healthy for you, too.
Don't know what that is.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yes, it happened to me. I used to drink coffee throughout the day without problems or signs of caffeine intolerance. It eventually caused intestinal problems. It was either the caffeine or the acid because each one can affect the intestines similarly - or maybe it was both. I never used to have problems with tea either but do now. I only drink naturally caffeine free herbal teas.

For coffee, I drink a blend of coffee and chicory but just one cup a day. There is less coffee so less caffeine and acid than 100% coffee, and richer flavor than decaf. Chicory has been a helpful component in healing my gut.
I also have been taking fiber pills, and drinking priobiotic drinks, every day. Also drink a lot of seltzer water. Don't know if all that helps, but I guess so.

There was a brief time when I tried no tea and no coffee, no caffeine at all. And I actually felt better, my brain felt calmer and my energy was more even.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:36 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
scroll down a bit for a chart comparing caffeine levels in different types of coffee, soda, and tea.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/art-20049372

I believe they both have acid and tanins, which can irritate your stomach. Test by using decaf or herbal preparations and see if that relieves the symptoms. Try cold brew or fridge tea to see if that helps.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
If you eat a little bit of food, or drink a little milk, the acid won't bother your stomach so much. See, what happens is, the caffeine causes your stomach to produce stomach acid, and too much stomach acid gives you an upset stomach. But if you drink some milk, or eat some toast, it'll help absorb the acid, and you won't have to give up on the coffee.
Yeah I know, but I can't eat anything in the morning. I only eat when hungry. And carbs in the morning will start off a bad energy cycle for the whole day.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:55 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I also have been taking fiber pills, and drinking priobiotic drinks, every day. Also drink a lot of seltzer water. Don't know if all that helps, but I guess so.

There was a brief time when I tried no tea and no coffee, no caffeine at all. And I actually felt better, my brain felt calmer and my energy was more even.
Maybe you are drinking too much seltzer water.

Chicory is considered a prebiotic (inulin) and I think that is the reason it helped my intestinal issues, along with more prebiotic/inulin foods. Probiotics (whether they are foods or supplements) won't help long-term without the prebiotics to support and feed them.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:19 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Seltzer (carbonated) water can irritate the lining of your stomach. The fizz is produced by pressurizing water with carbon dioxide gas/carbonic acid. Obviously, acids can irritate your gut. As the gas is released...well, you know what happens. Other "fizzy" drink production uses contain citric and/or phosphoric acids. The product's label should show you which was used.

OP, if you're also drinking fizzy liquids on an empty stomach, the potential problem should be fairly obvious. All this would be in addition to the caffeine, acids, and tannins coffee contains. If you really want to figure out if its the caffeine or the other potentially irritating ingredients, you'd need to eliminate each of them in turn and watch the results. You can get caffeine pills and patches you could use for a trial. If my stomach kept getting irritated but I fast that much every day, I wouldn't be compounding the problem by drinking a lot of seltzer water. You do realize you can add flavorings to plain old water, right?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-28-2022 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2022, 01:58 PM

761 posts, read 446,549 times
I just found a link that explains why you shouldn't drink coffee in the morning:

https://www.google.com/search?q=What...pens+when+you+

"The intake of caffeine in the morning interferes with our higher levels of cortisol production at the top of the morning-- cortisol is a hormone that helps us feel alert and awake."

No wonder I feel alert and awake in the morning, it's because don't drink coffee. And getting a good nights sleep helps too.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:04 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I just found a link that explains why you shouldn't drink coffee in the morning:

https://www.google.com/search?q=What...pens+when+you+

"The intake of caffeine in the morning interferes with our higher levels of cortisol production at the top of the morning-- cortisol is a hormone that helps us feel alert and awake."

No wonder I feel alert and awake in the morning, it's because don't drink coffee. And getting a good nights sleep helps too.
A coffee "habit" isn't confined just to ingesting the caffeine. The preparation, taste and scent also contribute to it...its a comforting routine someone follows knowing they're going to get a desired result.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Chicory is considered a prebiotic (inulin) and I think that is the reason it helped my intestinal issues, along with more prebiotic/inulin foods. Probiotics (whether they are foods or supplements) won't help long-term without the prebiotics to support and feed them.
The pills I'm taking are psyllium, which is a prebiotic. It helps somewhat.

I drink maybe about a quart of natural flavored seltzer water. I don't like regular water.

I drank a very small amount of coffee today, morning and then mid day. It doesn't hurt my stomach, but gives me a tired feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness