Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 10:05 AM

533 posts, read 481,828 times

Advertisements

My Uncle (almost 80) went to Knee Dr due to extreme pain in left knee

In office visit, Dr pulled out the water to send it for testing

OMG!

I never heard my Uncle in so much discomfort before! I even wanted the Dr to stop, but he encouraged my Uncle and told him he is doing fine. Anyway the Dr is a sweetheart, but I was traumatized by seeing someone in so much pain.

And the incision left a mark for 2 weeks.

After water was pulled out of my Uncle's knee, he noticed sharp pains on his upper left thigh. They increased over several days, then it settled down.

Could it be that the needle touched some nerve that connects to the upper left thigh?

My co-worker (mid-60s) has knee problems will will eventually need surgery himself. When water was pulled out of my co-worker's knee he said he felt mild discomfort, nothing Earth-Shattering.

My co-worker didn't even notice the incision mark and he didn't have any other pains.

Is this normal? Please share your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 06:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
People's pain tolerance varies so much! While I haven't needed this myself I know quite a few others who have. Their experiences differed and part of it was because of the underlying reason for the fluid buildup in the joint.

Here's more information about joint aspirations:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...int-aspiration

You'll notice that some people feel sore for a few days after their procedure. Obviously, if he's running a fever or there are other signs of an infection he should follow up with his doctor. Once again, sounds as if you are ramping yourself up far too much and that may exacerbate your uncle's discomfort. If you can't stay calm he may not be able to either. Maybe you should opt out and stay in the waiting room in future OP.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-07-2022 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-08-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
People's pain tolerance varies so much! While I haven't needed this myself I know quite a few others who have. Their experiences differed and part of it was because of the underlying reason for the fluid buildup in the joint.

Here's more information about joint aspirations:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...int-aspiration

You'll notice that some people feel sore for a few days after their procedure. Obviously, if he's running a fever or there are other signs of an infection he should follow up with his doctor. Once again, sounds as if you are ramping yourself up far too much and that may exacerbate your uncle's discomfort. If you can't stay calm he may not be able to either. Maybe you should opt out and stay in the waiting room in future OP.
Thank you for the info and link

My Uncle had hard time communicating (can still understand things, touch-wood). Hence I am the inky one able to help him and be in room with him.

I will take into consideration what you said about being in waiting room if Dr is doing something and my concern and anxiety make it worse for Doctor-Patient

Old 05-09-2022, 02:35 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
My Uncle (almost 80) went to Knee Dr due to extreme pain in left knee

In office visit, Dr pulled out the water to send it for testing

OMG!

I never heard my Uncle in so much discomfort before! I even wanted the Dr to stop, but he encouraged my Uncle and told him he is doing fine. Anyway the Dr is a sweetheart, but I was traumatized by seeing someone in so much pain.

And the incision left a mark for 2 weeks.

After water was pulled out of my Uncle's knee, he noticed sharp pains on his upper left thigh. They increased over several days, then it settled down.

Could it be that the needle touched some nerve that connects to the upper left thigh?

My co-worker (mid-60s) has knee problems will will eventually need surgery himself. When water was pulled out of my co-worker's knee he said he felt mild discomfort, nothing Earth-Shattering.

My co-worker didn't even notice the incision mark and he didn't have any other pains.

Is this normal? Please share your experiences.

Didn't the doctor use a needle to drain the fluid? What kind of mark did he have for 2 weeks? Was it bruising? If bruising, that is normal. I bruise easily from having blood taken, even when they do a great job putting the needle in. Your uncle may just be the type to bruise easily.

The upper thigh pain could be a coincidence, not related to draining the knee. Your uncle is 80, he's going to have different body pains that are normal.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Didn't the doctor use a needle to drain the fluid? What kind of mark did he have for 2 weeks? Was it bruising? If bruising, that is normal. I bruise easily from having blood taken, even when they do a great job putting the needle in. Your uncle may just be the type to bruise easily.

The upper thigh pain could be a coincidence, not related to draining the knee. Your uncle is 80, he's going to have different body pains that are normal.
Dr used needle

He had bruising, but it was a chick Lea sized shape of bruising. Something no one ever saw before

The upper thigh pain comes and goes but when it comes, sometimes it can be a nightmare

Old 05-10-2022, 08:47 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Dr used needle

He had bruising, but it was a chick Lea sized shape of bruising. Something no one ever saw before

The upper thigh pain comes and goes but when it comes, sometimes it can be a nightmare

I wonder if he pulled something that started the pain, such as he moved wrong when the doctor brought the needle out. I used to get a pain in my upper thigh years ago that was due to my back being pinched.

Old 05-10-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I wonder if he pulled something that started the pain, such as he moved wrong when the doctor brought the needle out. I used to get a pain in my upper thigh years ago that was due to my back being pinched.

Oh my that is horrible!

I believe he kept still while water was being drained
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness