Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2022, 11:18 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times

Advertisements

It was suggested that I describe my symptoms here and perhaps someone will have dealt with something similar and have advice on how to proceed. I wouldn't normally ask strangers on the internet but am my wit's end looking for a diagnosis. About five years ago, I did several hours of shoveling dirt one afternoon while gardening (twisting torso) and since that time I have had unusual discomfort on my left side around lower ribs. It morphed into a poking or pulling sensation over the years that came and went. In the last six months, it has returned with a vengeance and occasionally seems to correlate with digestive issues. Feels like a fingernail poking my insides and is much more noticeable when I sit. Over the five years, I have had multiple CT/ultrasound scans( 5 so far), kidney/bladder tests, Cologuard recently, blood tests, etc. All supposedly normal. No practitioner has ever done a physical exam - just ordered tests. Pending an upper endoscopy now but not having stomach issues currently so wondering if that is really necessary. I have always wondered if it something structural like muscles or bones along with an aging spine might be involved but when I bring that up with docs, I don't get anywhere....Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 12:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
How are your BMs? Left side pain can indicate issues with IBS. Ever have diarrhea with your pain?

Old 05-14-2022, 01:40 PM

Mostly normal, ie once a day. Never any diarrhea or reflux.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:52 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
A few months ago I noticed something similar, only on my right side instead of the left. Pain at the bottom of the ribs.

I concluded that I was sitting too much (and sometimes driving for too many hours), so I get up and move around a lot now. Hasn't been a problem lately.

I have been losing weight gradually by eating less and my body definitely has been through more changes. I can feel lymph nodes under my skin. And I'm cold much of the time, even when the indoor temp is 70 degrees. Ain't aging grand?

Old 05-15-2022, 03:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,192,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
It was suggested that I describe my symptoms here and perhaps someone will have dealt with something similar and have advice on how to proceed. I wouldn't normally ask strangers on the internet but am my wit's end looking for a diagnosis. About five years ago, I did several hours of shoveling dirt one afternoon while gardening (twisting torso) and since that time I have had unusual discomfort on my left side around lower ribs. It morphed into a poking or pulling sensation over the years that came and went. In the last six months, it has returned with a vengeance and occasionally seems to correlate with digestive issues. Feels like a fingernail poking my insides and is much more noticeable when I sit. Over the five years, I have had multiple CT/ultrasound scans( 5 so far), kidney/bladder tests, Cologuard recently, blood tests, etc. All supposedly normal. No practitioner has ever done a physical exam - just ordered tests. Pending an upper endoscopy now but not having stomach issues currently so wondering if that is really necessary. I have always wondered if it something structural like muscles or bones along with an aging spine might be involved but when I bring that up with docs, I don't get anywhere....Thoughts?
Have you had a colonoscopy? I have the same type of intermittent pain as you and was diagnosed with diverticulosis. If you develop a fever with the pain, and/or chills, nausea and/or vomiting, get it checked out ASAP as that could be signs of an infection, and that’s call diverticulitis, which is far worse.

My pains taper off when I increase the fiber in my diet. I eat fresh fruit daily but if I eat Fiber One cereal or something similar, I can tell a difference. It’s almost as if it’s gas that is trapped there.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:25 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I get an occasional pulling/cramping feeling around the bottom of my ribs; doctors have no explanation, but my yoga teacher suggested it was tight scar tissue (I've had a few surgeries).

Maybe your earlier injury caused scar tissue?

Old 05-17-2022, 06:38 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post

You've been given a lot of good suggestions. I think it will probably be a spasm of some sort. Have you googled organs of the abdomen and organs of the back? You need photos where you can try to match up the pain to a specific body part.

Every now and then I get what feels like a finger poking out under where a bra would fall on a woman's chest, below the right breast. It's right over or under ribs. It hurts like heck like something is being twisted which is probably a spasm of some sort. If I bend down wrong to cut toe nails or washing my feet, it will squeeze and poke, then finally let up, then it doesn't bother me again for a while.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:06 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
The things that come to mind are a weak muscle in the abdomen, swollen spleen, or gas. I first noticed something similar when I lifted a lawnmower over a chain link fence. It was like a muscle pull and couldn't take a deep breath. This was abpout 8-10 years ago. Recently I had my arms over my head pushing up on a loose piece of house siding and got the same thing. Takes about 2 weeks to get over it. Couldn't sleep on my right side at night even though the pull was on my left side. I also have an illness which gives me a swollen spleen, but that is also accompanied by a feeling of being full most of the time as it pushes on my stomach. Gas is also a possiblility. Try a couple of Gax-x pills and see if it's any better.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:25 PM

Thanks all! I decided not to endure any more invasive tests since I feel so normal and energetic otherwise. Most of the issue has resolved in the past few weeks though it pops up now and them. I continue to think/hope it is a structural issue that sometimes affects digestion. I find that staying very active physically and stretching helps a lot. Sitting too much really brings it on so a future road trip might be uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness