Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 08:01 PM

21,868 posts, read 12,868,682 times

Advertisements

Not allowing yourself to gain weight (more fat cells) in the first place is the best advice, if that's indeed how they replicate -- or are they always there lurking via genetics? I used to diet and exercise rigorously when I hit my "five extra pounds, danger Will Robinson" limit, but something happened to that standard during the pandemic...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 05:56 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,399,131 times
[quote=LongevitySeeker;63487118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

How could it be 99% of the time when 80% of diets fail?

https://www.google.com/search?q=What...%3F&aqs=chrome..

"The FDA has approved liposuction to remove up to 11 pounds of fat...."

That's not much, it hardly seems worth the risk of an operation for those who have excessive amounts of fat.
Because 99% of the time people are not eating or stop eating a calorie appropriate diet.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:22 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,612,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm seriously considering it. That is, if I ever hope to get back into a bikini! Must be why you got it, beach dweller that you are...

My fat is very concentrated in one area disproportionately, which is what that procedure is ideally designed for. I'd have to be diet enough to be disproportionately thin elsewhere to get rid of my belly and, as we're discussing here, that's just shrinking the fat cells there temporarily -- not getting rid of them permanently.
Yes, lipo is never "to lose weight". I had a couple belly rolls though I was never really overweight. It took care of those perfectly and the doc showed me 2 2-liter bottles of the fat he sucked out! Now my stomach is flat, though it is not the measurement I'd like. No curves, but I never had a defined waist. It's flat but it's still larger than I'd like, but I'm still very happy with what they were able to do.

My thighs used to rub together and lipo took care of that too. Really nice not to have that uncomfortable sensation.

Now I'm looking at the old-lady back-fat around where the bathing suit top goes and wish that would be sucked out too, but guess I'm too old and not motivated anymore.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:38 AM

761 posts, read 443,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Leptin resistance can be reversed with diet and lifestyle changes.
The Healthline link below says, "It is not entirely clear how leptin resistance can be reversed, though theories abound.

And one of the suggestions is, "Eating plenty of protein....."

But since the early 1970s, starting with the Atkins diet, there have been loads of high protein diet plans. And during the past 50 years, the percentage of those who are overweight and obese has steadily gone up.

Here's the link: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ing-resistance

Quote:
Yes, by changing to a healthier, well-balanced diet instead of "dieting" for the single purpose of losing weight, they may avoid leptin resistance that causes them to gain it back.
I think it' worth a try.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:50 AM

24,052 posts, read 32,372,304 times
Besides Liposuction, the many brands fat removal that employ the use of cold, also kill fat cells.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:49 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,620,931 times
You are what you eat so the microbiome dictates your choice of foods. If you keep eating a very rich diet of carbs or proteins your microbiome will proliferate on those foods and desire them. A detox or elimination diet will fix your bad food cravings. As you starve your microbiome of bacteria that feeds on carbs and protein and switch to a wholesome diet of plants and low proteins your body will adapt and those cravings will lessen. Lipsuction does more harm than good, why scar your body when you can do it naturally.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:48 PM

9,823 posts, read 7,680,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Besides Liposuction, the many brands fat removal that employ the use of cold, also kill fat cells.
What?

Old 05-24-2022, 03:51 PM

9,823 posts, read 7,680,400 times
Heard an interesting theory from a friend the other day, don't have any links. She said the visceral fat in your body acts similar to an organ, demanding food and nutrients. When people lose weight, they don't lose enough, they stop their diets before the fat is all gone, and that visceral fat left in their body fights to grow again.

I thought that was interesting. So sad to see people get healthy and lose weight and most times they gain it right back again. Maybe my friend is on to something.

Old 05-24-2022, 04:30 PM

21,868 posts, read 12,868,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
But does that really work? I've heard mixed reviews.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:51 PM

22,408 posts, read 11,933,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But does that really work? I've heard mixed reviews.
If you're talking about "cool sculpting", I was seriously considering it. Then I read about Linda Evangelista and what it did to her. Although, her experience is rare, apparently it's hard to tell who would be affected by it.

https://people.com/style/linda-evang...ple-exclusive/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness