Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 09:52 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
The Healthline link below says, "It is not entirely clear how leptin resistance can be reversed, though theories abound.

And one of the suggestions is, "Eating plenty of protein....."

But since the early 1970s, starting with the Atkins diet, there have been loads of high protein diet plans. And during the past 50 years, the percentage of those who are overweight and obese has steadily gone up.

Here's the link: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ing-resistance

I think it' worth a try.
Are you saying high protein diets cause weight gain?
I think it's the other way around; the weight gain from bad eating has caused people to invent and adopt lots of novel diets.

ETA
I read the article, thanks for the link.

Last edited by steiconi; 05-25-2022 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 01:13 PM

761 posts, read 446,549 times
[quote=Jill_Schramm;63490284]
Quote:

Because 99% of the time people are not eating or stop eating a calorie appropriate diet.
Here's a story my grandfather used to tell about a man who went around telling everyone that if they ate a chicken everyday they would never die. Years later when he was on his death bed, he was asked why he was going to die if he had eaten a chicken every day. And he said, "I'm sick, I can't eat."

It's like the "calorie appropriate diet", with a different twist: The man goes around telling everyone they can lose all the weight they want as long as they stay on a calorie appropriate diet. But when asked why he himself regained 80% of the weight he lost, he says, "I couldn't help it, I was starving."

The purpose of my thread is to explain why most diets eventually fail.

And here's a link: https://www.google.com/search?q=Peop...ho+succeed+in+

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 05-25-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 05-25-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Are you saying high protein diets cause weight gain?
I think it's the other way around; the weight gain from bad eating has caused people to invent and adopt lots of novel diets.

ETA
I read the article, thanks for the link.
Yes, diets high in animal protein can contribute to weight gain. The average American eats at least twice their protein requirement. And don't forget, most animal foods contain fat and fat is high in calories.

When a person eats twice their daily requirement, the half they don't need gets converted to body fat.

Then it also depends on how it's cooked, like fried chicken, fried eggs and so on. Sometimes it may be breaded and fried.

Also, high protein diets are bad for a person's microbiome. The good microflora will not thrive and multiply as they should on animal protein. The good bacteria in a person's gut needs a lot of fiber to thrive and multiply. So where is the fiber going to come from on a low carb diet?

Are overweight people going to eat lots of healthy vegetables to get the fiber they need? I doubt it.

A small person needs about 25 grams of fiber per day, from natural whole foods, and not from a fiber pill.

Bigger people should get about 30 grams of fiber, from natural whole foods.

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...ge+American+co

https://www.google.com/search?q=Does...+consumption+c

Old 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I heard that too.

For permanent removal---liposuction. Mine didn't come back.
I can't answer to lipo. Good it worked out.

I went vertical sleeve gastrectomy, aka VSG. It's major surgery and a near-final option for chronic obesity. I thought it through a year first. 21 months later so far so good, as I have limited capacity to eat. This is a good thing in my case and it can go very wrong or deadly at-worst. Does require completely rethinking our personal relationships with food and eating practices. A vast undertaking.

If I continue to hold my goal 5 years from now I feel I'll have a good baseline of what's what. So far I'm a believer, 180 lbs lighter. I own it. Difficult but not impossible to lose that weight, I found along the way, but I was motivated to make a complete habit makeover.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I can't answer to lipo. Good it worked out.

I went vertical sleeve gastrectomy, aka VSG. It's major surgery and a near-final option for chronic obesity. I thought it through a year first. 21 months later so far so good, as I have limited capacity to eat. This is a good thing in my case and it can go very wrong or deadly at-worst. Does require completely rethinking our personal relationships with food and eating practices. A vast undertaking.

If I continue to hold my goal 5 years from now I feel I'll have a good baseline of what's what. So far I'm a believer, 180 lbs lighter. I own it. Difficult but not impossible to lose that weight, I found along the way, but I was motivated to make a complete habit makeover.

Your last sentence is probably the most important, don't lose your motivation. I read a book written by a surgeon who did lots of weight-loss surgeries to make the stomach smaller. And he said something to the effect that after about 3 years, patients would regain the weight they lost.

Because it seems you're already aware of this, hopefully you have a better chance for long term success. Good luck, stay motivated.

Old 05-26-2022, 04:16 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,658,847 times
The number of fat cells is usually set by adolescence and remains fairly constant thereafter, but the cells' size is what changes. Someone who diets and loses weight doesn't have fewer fat cells, it's that their fat cells have shrunk in size. That's something I learned decades ago.

As for reducing the number of fat cells, that only happens through removal or somehow destroying them, both of which are not without risk.

And, since nature abhors a vacuum, the other fat cells will pick up the slack and other areas of the body will increase in size as weight increases, which is why pockets of fat or rolls will show up, unless one adheres to a good diet.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:32 PM

One of the risks of liposuction is blood loss. All the many fat cells get their nutrition delivered through a maze of blood vessels, and both fat and blood vessels get sucked out together. So there's lots of bleeding and, "The blood loss has been estimated to be between 15% and 45%."

https://www.google.com/search?q=Do+y...n%3F&gs_lcp=Cg

Old 05-27-2022, 01:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
One of the risks of liposuction is blood loss. All the many fat cells get their nutrition delivered through a maze of blood vessels, and both fat and blood vessels get sucked out together. So there's lots of bleeding and, "The blood loss has been estimated to be between 15% and 45%."

Well, that's why they won't do more than a certain amount at once. It DOES look brutal, though! It seems there should be an easier way. We can invent a new phone every six months, but we still can't dissolve fat.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:09 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:

I never saw any blood, or suffered from blood loss.

I'm sure there are risks but it can be a life-changer with a big QOL impact, so worth it to me. Diets can't address problematic pockets of fat.

I just watched a surgeon doing the lap-band procedure and said death is 1 in 1,000 which is not too comforting! yikes. But again, it's all about quality of life.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:46 AM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Quote:
Being an avid reader of health books, I couldn't help but notice that most of them have at least a chapter or two concerning weight loss. Being curious, I usually read it to see what they have to say. And although many of them talk about burning body fat, they never exactly say what happens to the fat cells.

When someone goes on a fat-burning, weight-loss diet, does each fat-cell burn off completely, or do they just lose some of their weight?

Here's one of many links to provide the answer:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fat+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

"According to scientists, fat cells never really disappear. When someone starts losing weight, the size of the fat cells decreases or shrinks. They do not burn away as some people mistakenly believe."

And here's a link that tells why the weight is likely to be regained :

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lept...eight&gs_lcp=C

"Leptin has a more profound effect when we lose weight and levels of the hormone fall. This stimulates a huge appetite and increased food intake."
As I understand, cryotherapy can eliminate fat cells. Of course lipo can but who wants unnecessary surgery? Some people do have specific areas of their body that are extremely resistant to fat burning even with intense exercise. For those small areas cryotherapy may be a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness