U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2022, 02:18 PM
 
3,804 posts, read 1,597,291 times
Reputation: 2623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
This past thursday i think I collapse at work


at first i started to feel sleepy. sometimes when i feel sleepy a at work it is not strong enough to affect my abilities. but this Thursday.. i started to feel a slight sleepiness. eventuallly it got strong this is similar to beeing sleepy at nights and you try to fight it when you are watching a tv program or reading.


it became so strong that i could not continue working. i had to stop everything to rush to a break room and sit in a couch. i was out cold for over 20 minutes. for the rest of the day i was back to normal.
what caused this? sometimes during the day i feel a slight sleepiness that does not affect me

Difficult to know without knowing you. First things that came to my mind were 1) Were you coming down with a viral or flu infection? Sometimes when this hits me all I want to do is sleep. 2) Did you have an extremely high carbohydrate meal that day, or did you take any antihistamines or meds that would make you drowsy? 3) Did you get enough sleep the night before? 4) If it becomes a pattern you are best off seeing the doc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2022, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Dessert
9,412 posts, read 5,239,953 times
Reputation: 24314
might be Narcolepsy, check symptoms here

https://knownarcolepsy.com/narcoleps...f%20narcolepsy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2022, 03:21 PM
 
Location: The Bubble, Florida
2,326 posts, read 1,314,339 times
Reputation: 6831
My dad used to be tired all the time. He never actually collapsed during any episodes but he kept feeling more tired, more often and would sometimes need to just sit and nap, it was too much of an effort to do anything for an hour here and there.


Turned out he had a malfunctioning valve in his heart, and if he'd waited any longer to see a doctor he would've died.

But you do you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2022, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Toronto, Canada
1,763 posts, read 1,634,108 times
Reputation: 814
update. i don't have narcolepsy nor any other sleeping disorders
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2022, 12:01 AM
 
Location: PRC
6,698 posts, read 5,907,928 times
Reputation: 6150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
update. i don't have narcolepsy nor any other sleeping disorders
but... did you get your heart checked out?

I suspect not. It sounds to me like what I had which was a heart rate which slowed and slowed until the blood pressure meter kept giving me ERROR on the screen. Meanwhile I was collapsing on the floor several times and going unconscious for a while. Eventually it got so bad I had to go to emergency and they gave me a pacemaker. So, dont leave it, go get your heart checked out or tell a doctor about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2022, 01:48 AM
 
1,309 posts, read 698,946 times
Reputation: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
but... did you get your heart checked out?

I suspect not. It sounds to me like what I had which was a heart rate which slowed and slowed until the blood pressure meter kept giving me ERROR on the screen. Meanwhile I was collapsing on the floor several times and going unconscious for a while. Eventually it got so bad I had to go to emergency and they gave me a pacemaker. So, dont leave it, go get your heart checked out or tell a doctor about it.
It is called syncope….fainting…a pacemaker may be needed…please get checked out..

My hubby fainted twice last year….ER discovered his heart was stopping for 5 seconds at a time..he could have died…his pacemaker now keeps his rate at 60 or above..
He is older..but I know of folks needing a pacer in their 40s

Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2022, 09:17 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,563 posts, read 30,124,378 times
Reputation: 27530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
Everything is back to normal now. If it happens again I will visit a walk in clinic


Piece of advice, watch your words very carefully because what you say can be used against you. True story, happened to my mother in 2005.

She told us she passed out while driving the parkway. We asked if she passed out or fell asleep. She said passed out. Conferred with my dad and sibling, took her to my neuro because they were moving at the time, she was driving over an hour to feed the stray cats.

She told my neuro she passed out, he pulled her drivers license for a good year until they figured out if there was something wrong. It very well could happen to you if you "collapsed" verses fell deep asleep.

She was mad at me when she's the one who told the neuro what happened. It was my doctor so I must have put him up to it.

We don't speak to this day.

Sounds like you may have been exhausted for some reason. If it happens again, see your doctor and pay attention to what you explain to him or you could lose your license. God forbid you fall asleep or collapse while driving
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Florida
9,071 posts, read 15,286,073 times
Reputation: 13568
Obviously you need to be seen by a Doctor now. If a doctor's office makes you wait for a future appt, tell them what happened and you don't feel its wise to wait. If they still don't help you which is common in today's world. Then go to an Urgent Care or ER and tell them exactly what has happened, and you don't want to take a chance on it happening again. The Urgent Care centers are filled with people, that simply cannot get a prompt appt with their Doctors so they are use to it. At least they can do some preliminary tests on you, and discuss what might have happened. Then they can probably speed up sending you to a proper specialist, so they can figure out what's going on. You can't let something this serious be left for it to happen again. Which most likely it will happen again.I agree though choose your words carefully, as others have said the drivers license could come up. Let them make a diagnosis maybe its just exhaustion your not aware of and hopefully nothing more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 08:47 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,563 posts, read 30,124,378 times
Reputation: 27530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Obviously you need to be seen by a Doctor now. If a doctor's office makes you wait for a future appt, tell them what happened and you don't feel its wise to wait. If they still don't help you which is common in today's world. Then go to an Urgent Care or ER and tell them exactly what has happened, and you don't want to take a chance on it happening again. The Urgent Care centers are filled with people, that simply cannot get a prompt appt with their Doctors so they are use to it. At least they can do some preliminary tests on you, and discuss what might have happened. Then they can probably speed up sending you to a proper specialist, so they can figure out what's going on. You can't let something this serious be left for it to happen again. Which most likely it will happen again.


OP needs to watch what he says because if he is embellishing it, he can and will lose his license like my mother did. I'm not convinced this was even anything serious.

By the way, this is an "older" thread. It was made May 22nd. The OP has not had issues any more.

Wish I realized it was that old...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
This past thursday i think I collapse at work


at first i started to feel sleepy. sometimes when i feel sleepy a at work it is not strong enough to affect my abilities. but this Thursday.. i started to feel a slight sleepiness. eventuallly it got strong this is similar to beeing sleepy at nights and you try to fight it when you are watching a tv program or reading.


it became so strong that i could not continue working. i had to stop everything to rush to a break room and sit in a couch. i was out cold for over 20 minutes. for the rest of the day i was back to normal.




what caused this? sometimes during the day i feel a slight sleepiness that does not affect me
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Florida
9,071 posts, read 15,286,073 times
Reputation: 13568
Obviously you need to be seen by a Doctor now. If a doctor's office makes you wait for a future appt, tell them what happened and you don't feel its wise to wait. If they still don't help you which is common in today's world. Then go to an Urgent Care or ER and tell them exactly what has happened, and you don't want to take a chance on it happening again. The Urgent Care centers are filled with people, that simply cannot get a prompt appt with their Doctors so they are use to it. At least they can do some preliminary tests on you, and discuss what might have happened. Then they can probably speed up sending you to a proper specialist, so they can figure out what's going on. You can't let something this serious be left for it to happen again. Which most likely it will happen again.

Just tell them what happened but choose your words carefully, so that your driver's license doesn't come into play at some point. At least get a proper diagnosis and take it from there. It may be nothing at all is going on other than your exhausted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top