Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 09:12 AM

253 posts, read 283,926 times

Advertisements

I'm always reluctant to post on this forum because there's always someone who says to go to a doctor. Please don't be that person. If it was an option, I'd already have done it and wouldn't be asking here as a last resort.

For the last 3 weeks, 24 hours a day, I have been tortured with the feeling that there is something in one of my eyes. The only thing I can remember happening that may be connected is that about the time this started, I was driving an something flew into my left eye. It hurt and because I was driving, I couldn't really do anything about it other than quickly rubbing my eye to try and get it out. I thought it was gone. By the time I got to where I was going, I had forgotten about it.

For the last 3 weeks ever since then I have tried everything. I've spent hours holding a flashlight, magnifying glass, tried trimming eyebrows, plucking lashes, using an eye cup, pulling my upper eyelid down over my lower eyelid, washing my open eye in the shower, using warm compresses, etc.....and no matter what I've done it just stays just as bad or gets worse. My eye is swollen and sore and driving me crazy from the feeling that something is in it like a hair, lash, piece of glass, etc......

Has anyone had something like this happen before and if so - what was it and how did it resolve? I've had a scratched cornea before (when I could and did see an eye doctor for it) but it was nothing nearly as bad or long-lasting as this nightmare. Is it possible for something to be lodged under my upper eyelid because that is what it feels like but it has been so long that I figured if that was the case, it would have come out by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 09:31 AM

310 posts, read 323,617 times
I guess I am going to be 'that' person. Get yourself to an ophthalmologist. Don't take chances with your eyes.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:36 AM

732 posts, read 601,693 times
I have had this experience, but it never lasted more than a couple days. I don't know what it was but have to imagine it was some small eyelash or dust mote or something like that. I tried all the things you've tried, and honestly they never seemed to work, but just time and my eye socket doing what it does to clear itself out eventually resolved the issue. So, I appreciate how awful this feels and I have experienced it, but really never as long as you have been.

May I ask why seeing a doctor is out of the question?

Old 05-23-2022, 09:40 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
(I'm not a doctor)

I believe its unlikely that you have physical debris in your eye - if it was loose, your eyes would flush it out. What did you flush the eye with? tap water? Have you tried saline? Side note, all the fussing has probably additionally irritated the eye an added to the issue.
What is more likely that you have an infection on your eyelids which are rubbing on your eyes themselves. Could be allergies, could be dry eyes or blocked tear duct. Have you tried eye drops?

does this sound like what you're experiencing? https://www.optometrists.org/general...nburned%20eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
I guess I am going to be 'that' person. Get yourself to an ophthalmologist. Don't take chances with your eyes.
I 2nd this.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:11 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
OP,
You do not mention your age, but, if you are over 50 it might be eye floaters. Happened to my left eye about 8 months after I had cataract surgery. Took about 3 months to start to feel better. It took about 6 months before they were no longer bothered my range of vision. Same thing happened to my right eye about 18 months after cataract surgery. Started about 2 months ago, but, this time I started getting flashes of light along with the floaters after a month. Called my eye doctor for an emergency appointment the next day - to be sure it was not associated with a retna detachment - which can be serious.

The retna was OK, you can sometimes get flashes of light with floaters. It can easily take 6 months for the floaters to settle out of your line of vision - so that you are not so bothered by them. Presently I am using over the counter single use refresh eye drops multiple times a day to keep the eye lubricated. Dry eyes make the eye feel worse so the refresh eye drops help temporarily.

I did go to my eye doctor for the left eye right away and determined it was eye floaters. At that time he said that if I experienced flashes of light as well to come back in immediately. So, when it happened eventually to my right eye I was not too concerned. As soon as the flashes of light started to happen in the right eye I knew enough to know I needed do get an emergency appointment to see him right away.

I do not mess around when it comes to my vision. So, another vote for getting in to see an eye doctor.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:09 PM

23,305 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
(I'm not a doctor)

I believe its unlikely that you have physical debris in your eye - if it was loose, your eyes would flush it out. What did you flush the eye with? tap water? Have you tried saline? Side note, all the fussing has probably additionally irritated the eye an added to the issue.
What is more likely that you have an infection on your eyelids which are rubbing on your eyes themselves. Could be allergies, could be dry eyes or blocked tear duct. Have you tried eye drops?

I 2nd this.
OK, back up. The problem isn't going away, right? What you've tried up until now obviously isn't working. It could be making the whole problem worse. Time for Plan B. Another vote for seeing a doctor. Just because you don't want to hear something doesn't make it any less valid.

I also agree that there may have been something in your eye originally, but that's probably long gone. All the manipulation and fussing around you've done over the past 3 weeks () has probably irritated your eyelid more, resulting in inflammation, swelling, and possibly infection. So, the swollen lid rubs on your cornea and makes it feel as if something is still in your eye.

If you want to take the chance of scarring your eyelid and/or cornea and impair your vision permanently, that's your choice. OTOH, an ophthalmologist could examine your eye with instrumentation you don't have and hand you a targeted medication (something you can't get OTC for yourself) that could heal the damage and clear up the whole problem in a few days. Or at least tell you what NOT TO DO in terms of self care. Take your pick.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-23-2022 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 01:16 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
OP, you can actually get lumps inside your eyelid. I get them and have been told it’s because I wore contacts for many years. I’ve stopped now because they get exacerbated during allergy season and I eventually found it too irritating to continue with them. Even without them, there are times when I feel like something is stuck in my eye. I have been using the pataday eyedrops, which helps. However, you may have a scratch on your eye or eye infection that will require some sort of antibiotic eyedrops to heal. I think you need to make an appointment to see an eye doctor ASAP.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:04 PM

253 posts, read 283,926 times
>>> "If it was an option, I'd already have done it." <<<

It is a shame that this forum is such a wasted resource for those who might be able to benefit. I really just don't understand. I am sure I was quite clear and courteously and respectfully asked for what should be the default - to operate within the parameters of the question.

Perhaps someone can clarify the point of this forum for me. Why would anyone post a health question here if they hadn't already exhausted all other options - including seeking medical treatment (for those who have such an option)? I was asking for experiences that others may have had.

Unless an OP asks some variation of "Do you think I should go see a doctor for this?" I can't think of anything someone would ask here where that would be a useful reply.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
No one on here can give medical advice. There's a million different things that could be going on. The best advice is seeing a doctor. When your car breaks down do you bring it to a mechanic or post on a forum? When your house has a problem with the plumbing or electrical do you call a plumber or electrician or post on a forum after you've been sitting in the dark without water for 3 weeks? 3 weeks with a problem with an eye and it's swollen? Of course you should see a doctor. No one here can see your eye or know your medical history. Why can't/won't you see a doctor?

Old 05-23-2022, 03:17 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Doctors are NOT on this forum!! The point of the thread is how people have reacted, etc. to treatments - NOT to diagnose anything. No idea why an actual exam isn't an option but what does the OP think strangers would have to offer? OP hasn't exhausted all other options (i.e., not actually seen a doctor!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness