U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 10:49 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,852,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
in 2015 I had a heartattack. 3 bypasses, 9 weeks in the hospital. The ejection fraction was 12%. They talked about a donor heart, but there are about 3000 a year world wide. You have to be younger than 65. and there is a waiting list of about 300.000 plus.
Changed some habbits. stopped smoking, walk a lot. Eat small portions.
They gave me 3 /5 years. It is 7 years now. Feeling good. Living alone. Travel to europe 6 times a year.
The ejection fraction went up to about 32%. Just think positief.
Great story!

I was diagnosed with a low EF rate several years ago as well, somewhere in the 30's. I also have another very, rare condition (like 11 people in the whole world) called "short qt syndrome." Long qt is pretty common, but short is extremely rare, and there is nothing they can do about it. I also have a myocardial bridge, where one of the arteries actually grows through the heart muscle instead of on top of it. As the heart continues to grow throughout your life, they told me eventually one day the muscle will cut off the blood flow to that artery, but it's too dangerous to operate on unless I have an "event."

The doctors told me stop eating meat, eat more "plants" and start taking a statin every day, blah, blah, blah.

I did my own intensive research, because I don't trust the standard protocols that follow outdated information. I also intend to live whatever life I have left to the fullest.

I started keto and intermittent fasting. I take L-Arginine and Pycnogenol (also used to recover from long haul covid symptoms which I had) which can actually heal artery and vein walls. My EF rate is back in the normal range. My weight is down 40 lbs., and I have more energy and stamina than I did 10 years ago. Just finished a big landscaping project in the ferocious heat over the past week.

I attribute the biggest % of my current condition to IF and keto, thanks to Dr. Berg who I found on YouTube.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 12:31 PM
'M'

1,918 posts, read 3,017,563 times
myrc60 - I would feel better hearing from a number of patients who have taken this medication. The drug companies are good with word salads that don't necessarily tell me what I need to hear. BTW, am not a heart failure patient but this thread caught my eye as I'm always curious about heart failure.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:56 PM

2,487 posts, read 926,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Entresto is a heart failure drug.

AS THE #1 HEART FAILURE BRAND PRESCRIBED
BY CARDIOLOGISTS, ENTRESTO¬ģ HAS HELPED
OVER 1 MILLION PEOPLE WITH HEART FAILURE

ENTRESTO is a medicine specifically made for Heart Failure

The above taken directly from the www.entresto.com website.
Yes, I read it too,, but sometimes the doctors use drugs off-label, so I wanted to know if taking Entresto always means there is heart failure. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:28 PM

6,772 posts, read 21,576,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Yes, I read it too,, but sometimes the doctors use drugs off-label, so I wanted to know if taking Entresto always means there is heart failure. Thanks.
I have an appointment with cardio later this month. I'll ask.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I have an appointment with cardio later this month. I'll ask.
That's so nice, thanks! I don't want to ask my family member because if he has heart failure and his doctor didn't tell him, I don't want to agitate him with worry. He just told me he's going to TGIF to have dinner and I told him he's nuts to eat all that salty food with his HBP and heart problems! I told him to exercise or at least walk a little everyday and eat healthy!

Old 06-16-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
That's so nice, thanks! I don't want to ask my family member because if he has heart failure and his doctor didn't tell him, I don't want to agitate him with worry. He just told me he's going to TGIF to have dinner and I told him he's nuts to eat all that salty food with his HBP and heart problems! I told him to exercise or at least walk a little everyday and eat healthy!
To follow up, my family member didn't listen to me, went to TGIF for dinner, woke up the next day with a swollen ankle and limping. his doctor told him it's probably sodium. He didn't iisten to my warning about not eating out and he is paying the price for it.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:55 AM

1,878 posts, read 862,247 times
There are many nutrients that will save an injured heart some work
https://www.healthydirections.com/ar...r-heart-health

-CoQ10
-L Carnitine
-2-3 grams Omega3s + full spectrum E(omegas deplete vitamin E)
-DRibose
-Magnesium
-multivitamin

Old 06-17-2022, 06:56 AM

6,372 posts, read 3,571,173 times
Entresto is a drug that combines an ACE inhibitor (valsartan) with a fancy new drug that inhibits a small hormne that causes sodium retention. The goal in treating CHF is to lower BP so it's easier for the heart to push out blood, and to reduce the amount of blood (so to speak) by getting rid of extra salt & water.

Entresto costs $4,500/yr, while valsartan + Hctz (common diuretic) costs <$100/yr....Entresto is said to improve RELATIVE risk of death in CHF pts by 5%-- but that's only a 1% improvement in ABSOLUTE risk.

That 1% difference may mean the difference in continuing a happy, unmolested practice for your doc vs getting sued for $$multi-millions. What do you think he will prescribe?

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2018/0...ure-guidelines

Old 06-17-2022, 11:58 AM

6,772 posts, read 21,576,131 times
Quote:
My appointment is in late July. Your family member has to be willing to follow salt restrictions. I hope he doesn't wait until his symptoms get worse.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
My appointment is in late July. Your family member has to be willing to follow salt restrictions. I hope he doesn't wait until his symptoms get worse.
Thanks to all for the responses, he usually doesn't listen to my advice when I pass along the good info I get from posters here, but if he gets scared enough he might!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness