Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 05:22 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Not me, but a family member

They are being seen weekly by cardiologist. Has blood work done weekly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 08:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "working" is 25%? Do you mean ejection fraction? If so, a 25% ejection fraction is considered heart failure and is fairly severe. However, you should keep in mind that normal ejection fraction range is something like 50%-75%.

With patients in heart failure, the goal is to try and reduce workload on the heart. So, that would include medications to do such things as lower blood pressure, thin the blood etc. It's a balance to try and use such medications that reduce the heart's workload without causing too many other issues.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-12-2022 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2022, 10:33 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
I don't know the answers but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry your family member is dealing with this. It sounds pretty serious. As far as what to expect goes, I would focus on trying to make things as easy as you can for them. I would ask the cardiologist if this will get any better with treatment and what the prognosis is.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:45 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
That was me. I am on Entresto and it has improved to the 45-50% range. Cut down on liquids. When I was in full HF I was told to drink only 1-1/2 liters daily. That includes any liquid, even soups. Your family member maybe a candidate for open heart surgery in hopes of correction to what may be causing the loss. I've had CABG and TAVR. After CABG I wore a life vest, a portable defibrilator 24/7 for 3 months. I'll be due for a echocardiogram early this fall which is how they determine what the ejection fraction is.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:31 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "working" is 25%? Do you mean ejection fraction? If so, a 25% ejection fraction is considered heart failure and is fairly severe. However, you should keep in mind that normal ejection fraction range is something like 50%-75%.

With patients in heart failure, the goal is to try and reduce workload on the heart. So, that would include medications to do such things as lower blood pressure, thin the blood etc. It's a balance to try and use such medications that reduce the heart's workload without causing too many other issues.
I'll have to review the notes my other sister took.

She is on 14 medications that include blood pressure and blood thinners. She is supposed to watch what she eats and drinks.

Sees the heart doctor at least once a week. Now has a nurse come check her vitals.

But it is becoming obvious that she needs to be watched/monitored constantly. She lives alone and we are not there to make sure she takes her meds correctly or doesn't eat all her usual fatty salty favorites.

The family is thinking of moving her into assisted living. We have already toured a very nice location. Thankfully she can afford the monthly cost. She is sort of on board with this.

She is not a good candidate for a heart transplant.

Another note was that she is in Stage 4 heart failure.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:46 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Does taking Entresto always mean a patient has heart failure? A 68 yr. old family member is taking it along with blood thinners,, statins and BP medicine. I think his doctor took him off blood thinners and wants to do a cardioversion at the end of next month instead to lower his heart rate, he's had one already. He's overweight, doesn't exercise, and I don't know if he follows a healthful diet, but he must not because he's overweight.

What can he do naturally and who can he see other than a cardiologist to help him improve his condition?

Old 06-13-2022, 12:37 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'll have to review the notes my other sister took.

She is on 14 medications that include blood pressure and blood thinners. She is supposed to watch what she eats and drinks.

Sees the heart doctor at least once a week. Now has a nurse come check her vitals.

But it is becoming obvious that she needs to be watched/monitored constantly. She lives alone and we are not there to make sure she takes her meds correctly or doesn't eat all her usual fatty salty favorites.

The family is thinking of moving her into assisted living. We have already toured a very nice location. Thankfully she can afford the monthly cost. She is sort of on board with this.

She is not a good candidate for a heart transplant.

Another note was that she is in Stage 4 heart failure.
Sounds like your family member has a lot of health issues and cardiology challenges above and beyond only a EJF of 25%. I hope everything works out for your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Does taking Entresto always mean a patient has heart failure? A 68 yr. old family member is taking it along with blood thinners,, statins and BP medicine. I think his doctor took him off blood thinners and wants to do a cardioversion at the end of next month instead to lower his heart rate, he's had one already. He's overweight, doesn't exercise, and I don't know if he follows a healthful diet, but he must not because he's overweight.

What can he do naturally and who can he see other than a cardiologist to help him improve his condition?
I don't know the answer to that question, but there are a lot of posters on here who seem to be fairly knowledgable about cardiovascular conditions, either from personal experience or that of a close family member, so hopefully some will chime in.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:02 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Sounds like your family member has a lot of health issues and cardiology challenges above and beyond only a EJF of 25%. I hope everything works out for your family.

I don't know the answer to that question, but there are a lot of posters on here who seem to be fairly knowledgable about cardiovascular conditions, either from personal experience or that of a close family member, so hopefully some will chime in.
Thanks, I did some reading about it and of course it said exercise a few days a week, yoga, meditating, dieting, etc. might help. I was thinking maybe a nutritionist or physical therapist would be helpful.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:18 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
in 2015 I had a heartattack. 3 bypasses, 9 weeks in the hospital. The ejection fraction was 12%. They talked about a donor heart, but there are about 3000 a year world wide. You have to be younger than 65. and there is a waiting list of about 300.000 plus.
Changed some habbits. stopped smoking, walk a lot. Eat small portions.
They gave me 3 /5 years. It is 7 years now. Feeling good. Living alone. Travel to europe 6 times a year.
The ejection fraction went up to about 32%. Just think positief.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:32 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post

Entresto is a heart failure drug.

AS THE #1 HEART FAILURE BRAND PRESCRIBED
BY CARDIOLOGISTS, ENTRESTO® HAS HELPED
OVER 1 MILLION PEOPLE WITH HEART FAILURE

ENTRESTO is a medicine specifically made for Heart Failure

The above taken directly from the www.entresto.com website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness