Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 09:25 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times

Advertisements

Just idle curiosity...but my question is whether one of our national favorite meals--cheeseburger, French fries, soda--has the worst health/nutritional outcomes for our well-being?

I wonder how this meal compares with other nations' favorite meals??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 12:44 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just idle curiosity...but my question is whether one of our national favorite meals--cheeseburger, French fries, soda--has the worst health/nutritional outcomes for our well-being?

Well, the profile of one meal itself doesn't really matter in isolation does it? If someone eats that cheeseburger/fries/soda meal once a year it probably has no impact on their health regardless how unhealthy some pundit tells us the ingredients happen to be. If they eat that same meal every day for multiple years it probably does.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-08-2022 at 01:01 PM..

Old 11-08-2022, 09:32 PM

1,555 posts, read 777,355 times
You can make a healthy burger at home but fast food and even restaurants are all processed. People eat outside because of the taste. This is what sells. Just don’t eat it on a regular basis. It doesn’t matter what country you are in. They are all the same.

Old 11-09-2022, 07:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:

Not sure if that would even be a favorite meal to most.

I'll take a filet mignon, bleu cheese salad, roasted veggies and water to drink.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:06 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:

I have never had that and have no intentions of doing so. The Nation will have to do without me.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:38 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Not sure if that would even be a favorite meal to most.

I'll take a filet mignon, bleu cheese salad, roasted veggies and water to drink.
Well yes, but look at the number of fast food burger places vs fast food joints serving your meal! lol

Old 11-09-2022, 09:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Wow, my favorite meal would have grass fed skirt steak, baked potato with a little sour cream, salt and pepper all over...shrimp cocktail on the side. (I'm eating shrimp again, wild caught.)
KaraG, yes Bleu cheese salad.
I've sworn off filet mignon...too tasteless...I refuse to have to add things to make it better.

Burger and fries? Sorry, LD, I do get your point.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The typical burger and fries is definitely right up there with the worst meals for your health, with the amount of cholesterol and saturated fat in the burger, salt and trans fat in the fries. I love them as much as the next person, but limit my intake to maybe once a week. In my case fast food burgers are very infrequent, though. We prefer sit-down restaurants, especially bre-pub types like BJ's, Hops & Drops, or the Ram where they also serve beer, and the burgers are much better. Yes, I know that excessive alcohol can lead to chronic diseases, but I limit myself to one.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:18 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
You can make a healthy burger at home but fast food and even restaurants are all processed.
At our local family restaurant chain, every Monday they offer a cheeseburger/fries plate for $6.

The patty is local-sourced ground beef, fresh lettuce, onions and tomato, and a slice of swiss cheese. I order mine without the bun, as I need to avoid wheat. I substitute the fries for steamed veggies [usually string beans].

Which part of such a meal, are you thinking is 'processed'?

Old 11-09-2022, 11:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Well yes, but look at the number of fast food burger places vs fast food joints serving your meal! lol
Well, we cook burgers (no buns) and steaks at home, didn't realize you were talking about fast food places only.

Interesting - what are the favorite fast food meals in other countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness