Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 01:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,344,047 times

Advertisements

Frankly, I did not want to take the vaccine because I felt it was developed much too quickly, and I was worried what negative results may result far down the line. However, it seemed the lesser of two evils as I did not want to end up in intensive care on a respirator. Most of my friends felt the same way. So, I had both Pfizer shots and a booster, and so did most of my friends. However, I know at least 10 people who have all contracted Covid despite having had both shots and a booster.

One of my friends contracted two strains of Covid at once. This was at the beginning of the pandemic. She had not had the shots at this point. She was quite ill for at least a month. She told me that by the end if she thought she would have had to suffer through two more weeks of it, she would rather have died. It was that miserable. Luckily, she began to recover at the end of four weeks. She did get the shots afterward. One man I know contracted it and recovered and then contracted it again a few weeks after his first recovery.

Anyway, now, they are advising anyone 50 or over to have a second booster shot. I am not keen to have it, and none of my friends are keen to have it either especially in light of how many people who contracted Covid after having had both shots and a booster. What do you think? If you had both shots and a booster, will you have a second booster now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/20/u...booster%20dose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 01:29 PM

1,161 posts, read 872,245 times
General guidelines are made because it is unpredictable how long any given individual's immunity against the virus will hold up.

Just to reiterate that the intended purpose of the vaccine was to prevent serious complications and death in people. There again certain segments of the population needed it more than others in general. Most had risk factors but not all.

As far as being developed too quickly no steps were left out and the argument about negative effects down the line with time is not really based on historical precedence since most vaccine reactions happen within 6 weeks of getting any vaccine. That's the case with the heart complications being reported in a few vaccine recipients. Moderna has more complications with regards to that aspect than Pfizer so take Pfizer if that is your concern and you are in that young age group.

In the end it's your call but if you have any risk factors then I would not hesitate.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:32 PM

23,391 posts, read 19,018,776 times
Not to mention that this is a step you can take to protect people other than yourself. Something too many people seem to forget...this is bigger than me, me, me. YOU may convince yourself you aren't at higher risk for complications but not everyone you come in contact with may share your good fortune.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-06-2022 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-06-2022, 04:27 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,109,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post

Anyway, now, they are advising anyone 50 or over to have a second booster shot. I am not keen to have it, and none of my friends are keen to have it either especially in light of how many people who contracted Covid after having had both shots and a booster. What do you think? If you had both shots and a booster, will you have a second booster now?

Negative efficacy is what you want to research
https://twitter.com/search?q=negativ...rc=typed_query
https://twitter.com/Lukathor/status/1533790736038207488

Some accounts to follow if you want the negative side of things
https://twitter.com/clarecraigpath
https://twitter.com/TexasLindsay/sta...82582712664070
https://twitter.com/JesslovesMJK/sta...49678806761476
https://twitter.com/OS51388957
https://twitter.com/storiesofinjury

Old 06-06-2022, 05:43 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,344,047 times
Thank you, Rom623.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not to mention that this is a step you can take to protect people other than yourself. Something too many people seem to forget...this is bigger than me, me, me. YOU may convince yourself you aren't at higher risk for complications but not everyone you come in contact with may share your good fortune.
That's correct and what I meant by doing a risk assessment. If you are a caregiver or live with the elderly then do it for them. Do it for others.

If you live alone and live a solitary lifestyle then it is less risky for you and others. If you go out all of the time and mingle with everybody then you will catch it and pass it.

Vaccination reduces transmission of the virus but one needs to be up to date and immunized. Too bad we still have these definitions of fully vaccinated vs recommended vaccines.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:17 PM

867 posts, read 727,692 times
I had two shots (Moderna), the first booster, and also the second booster. I live a reasonably unsocial life, but I do occasionally have to interact in person with relatives, friends, and colleagues, so I do whatever I can to keep my immune system prepared. I take the flu shot for much the same reason.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I had two shots (Moderna), the first booster, and also the second booster. I live a reasonably unsocial life, but I do occasionally have to interact in person with relatives, friends, and colleagues, so I do whatever I can to keep my immune system prepared. I take the flu shot for much the same reason.
I am the same as you. I just can't imagine just thinking about myself and solely concerned about myself. I wouldn't feel right and would feel terrible if I had not done my best to prevent myself from getting infected and thus capable of spreading it to any loved ones, relatives, or strangers. Eventually, it very well might end up costing someone's life if that happens.

Old 06-07-2022, 12:05 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,032,798 times
My hubby and I have received both initial vaccines and a booster. Two weeks ago we got the second booster (all Moderna) because we are in our 60's and have a couple of medical conditions. A week ago we went to a family funeral and the next day received a text from a relative (whom we sat next to for a period of time) that they tested positive. So far we have tested negative twice and do not feel ill at all. So I think we did the right thing for us by following the vaccine guidelines.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,697,298 times
I think Medical Lab Guy is providing excellent information. I discussed the second booster with my son who is a pulmonologist/critical care physician. He felt it was not critical that I get the second booster, but felt there was some advantage. I decided to hold off until this month to extend my immunity. My first three shots were Moderna, and I'm thinking about getting Pfizer for my second booster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness