U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-17-2022, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Michigan
29,297 posts, read 52,923,406 times
Reputation: 21835

Advertisements

More than 407,000 pill bottles fail to meet child safety standards.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced Thursday the recall of more than 407,000 over-the-counter pill bottles, citing the products do not meet the child resistance packaging required by the Poison Prevention Packaging Act (PPPA).


https://abcnews.go.com/US/pill-bottl...ry?id=85441762
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2022, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Full Time: N.NJ Part Time: S.CA, ID, Coastal GA
5,145 posts, read 10,736,347 times
Reputation: 6146
We have toddlers who are very adventurous and try (usually successfully) to open everything. We don't assume anything is childproof....

That said - this is probably something that should be monitored and recalled if not working correctly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2022, 02:14 PM
 
23 posts, read 8,338 times
Reputation: 45
I am very familiar with packaging problems. My product had plastic packaging. I knew that plastic is dangerous in certain situations, but I didn't think that I would be presented with a bunch of claims. I only recently learned that in 2010 it was officially recognized that there were doubts about the safety of bisphenol A for human health. However, despite this, bisphenol A is still used in the production of plastic packaging, tableware, sports equipment, medical equipment, contact lenses, dental fillings and sealants, internal coating in the packaging of juices and other products. But for some reason I received a very large fine. After this incident, I decided to completely change the packaging, both the material and the design. I turned to Deuce design agency London so that everything would be fine this time for sure and in the future I would not receive another fine. It is very strange that some can work with plastic, and others can't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2022, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Puna, Hawaii
3,702 posts, read 3,701,789 times
Reputation: 6419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
We have toddlers who are very adventurous and try (usually successfully) to open everything. We don't assume anything is childproof....

That said - this is probably something that should be monitored and recalled if not working correctly.
Unfortunately, childproof caps are also frequently elderproof caps when old arthritic hands can't get past the lid any easier than a child can. Not a problem with Rx medicine because they can put easy open caps on them upon request, but my mom struggles with OTC meds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 05:51 AM
 
6,462 posts, read 3,679,290 times
Reputation: 29586
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Unfortunately, childproof caps are also frequently elderproof caps when old arthritic hands can't get past the lid any easier than a child can. Not a problem with Rx medicine because they can put easy open caps on them upon request, but my mom struggles with OTC meds.
My arthritic hands can't open most child-proof bottles. I'm thankful I can receive the regular bottles on request.

I suppose it's too much to expect parents to keep poison out of their child's reach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 01:37 PM
 
2,300 posts, read 884,199 times
Reputation: 4459
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Unfortunately, childproof caps are also frequently elderproof caps when old arthritic hands can't get past the lid any easier than a child can. Not a problem with Rx medicine because they can put easy open caps on them upon request, but my mom struggles with OTC meds.
so true. and sometimes you cant get those easy open caps for Rx meds either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 04:19 PM
 
2,583 posts, read 1,607,193 times
Reputation: 5947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
My arthritic hands can't open most child-proof bottles. I'm thankful I can receive the regular bottles on request.

I suppose it's too much to expect parents to keep poison out of their child's reach.
you can make those OTC bottles easier to open


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjKxES_WhU

another way is to just put the lid against a counter top and leverage off the safety cap leaving just the under cap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Full Time: N.NJ Part Time: S.CA, ID, Coastal GA
5,145 posts, read 10,736,347 times
Reputation: 6146
Are you guys really advocating for easier to open bottles so grown, mature adults, who can think through problems have an easier time vs. toddlers who have no idea who dangerous the contents might be?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 04:58 PM
 
6,462 posts, read 3,679,290 times
Reputation: 29586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Are you guys really advocating for easier to open bottles so grown, mature adults, who can think through problems have an easier time vs. toddlers who have no idea who dangerous the contents might be?
Naw. But we'd like to see an end to stupid parents who keep dangerous meds within reach of a child. Seems to me stupidity and laziness are the reason for inconvenience to everyone else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2022, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Full Time: N.NJ Part Time: S.CA, ID, Coastal GA
5,145 posts, read 10,736,347 times
Reputation: 6146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Naw. But we'd like to see an end to stupid parents who keep dangerous meds within reach of a child. Seems to me stupidity and laziness are the reason for inconvenience to everyone else.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the parents aspect, I struggle with punishing kids for parents "stupidity and laziness". That, and as as dad of two toddler boys who can and do get into anything that isn't secured by lock and key (and some things that are), every layer of protection is welcomed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top