Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 03:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Who could they prove someone lied? Maybe their ride home couldn't make it at the last minute. Are they going to interrogate that person; hook him/her up to a polygraph (not that it's reliable or admissible in court)?
No, they're just going to cancel the procedure if you show up without a ride. Depending on the state and on the facility, they can/will charge a cancelation fee, which you would have agreed to in writing at the time the surgery was scheduled. The ride typically has to sign something as well before the surgery is scheduled — it might be easier to find an actual ride to find someone willing to lie about it for you with the understanding that you're only trying to circumvent their rules. Seems like an awful lot of lying to do just to get out of lining up a legit ride or actually being honest and telling them that transportation is an issue. They may have solutions you don't know about.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-10-2022 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 07:54 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
If you served in the military, the VA hospital/clinic has volunteers who will drive you to the procedure & back.
They drove me to Eugene, OR & back.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Patient said it was her uncle just being funny...

At some point you do what you can especially if the patient pre arranged transport.

For some this may their first time ever having surgery so the expectations can very a lot compared to those with prior experience.

Often with plastic cases the home overnight nurse and transport are included with the procedure.

Patients appreciate this and one less thing to worry about or a burden on friends and family...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-11-2022 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 04:37 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,543,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, they're just going to cancel the procedure if you show up without a ride. Depending on the state and on the facility, they can/will charge a cancelation fee, which you would have agreed to in writing at the time the surgery was scheduled. The ride typically has to sign something as well before the surgery is scheduled — it might be easier to find an actual ride to find someone willing to lie about it for you with the understanding that you're only trying to circumvent their rules. Seems like an awful lot of lying to do just to get out of lining up a legit ride or actually being honest and telling them that transportation is an issue. They may have solutions you don't know about.
Ive never heard of anything like this! "The ride has to sign something as well before the surgery is scheduled". Ive never had to sign anything when Ive picked up my husband or friend from OP procedures. Ive never even gone inside! Id find somewhere else to have the procedure done. This is nonsense.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
If you served in the military, the VA hospital/clinic has volunteers who will drive you to the procedure & back.
They drove me to Eugene, OR & back.
Sounds like a short stint in the military, preferably not during wartime, is one of the best things a person can do for his own old age/retirement and life leading up to that. I'm constantly amazed at all the perks veterans and their families get. It almost seems over the top!

Old 07-12-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Ive never heard of anything like this! "The ride has to sign something as well before the surgery is scheduled". Ive never had to sign anything when Ive picked up my husband or friend from OP procedures. Ive never even gone inside! Id find somewhere else to have the procedure done. This is nonsense.
It depends on the clinic and the state, but I've had to do it here for my father. Didn't see any reason to "find somewhere else to have the procedure done" over something so minor. I also had to meet with the surgeon in person prior to the procedure and listen to his instructions for aftercare.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-12-2022 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-12-2022, 10:42 AM

It's "minor" if it's not an issue for you. However, if you have NO ONE TO ACCOMPANY YOU (see: thread title), then it's an issue and not "minor"...

Old 07-12-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's "minor" if it's not an issue for you. However, if you have NO ONE TO ACCOMPANY YOU (see: thread title), then it's an issue and not "minor"...
I'm aware that not everyone has someone to go with them. I probably wouldn't myself.

The minor issue I was referring to was the act of signing something before the fact in response to someone saying she would have found another facility to do the procedure. Again, having to sign something just wasn't a big enough deal to cause me to flounce out in a self-righteous huff and go to the inconvenience of finding another facility that wouldn't ask for a signature.

If you don't have someone, pay someone. There are services that do that. Or reach out to a community or religious organization; those over age 60 can access volunteer services through their local Area Agency on Aging. There are even some states where Uber and Lyft are allowed to provide medical transport. It's not some sort of hopeless situation in which the person without a ride is rendered a completely helpless baby who is victimized by "regulations."

https://www.uberhealth.com

Or weave a web of lies, and if you're lucky enough, you probably won't get caught, and then you can pat yourself on the back for "outsmarting the system." Just seems like it would be a lot less trouble to get proactive and find a legit ride, and by that I mean a paid service if you have NO ONE TO ACCOMPANY YOU, like I'd probably have to do in that situation.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-12-2022 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 02:06 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post

You might be looking for a while. These days, I don't know of any ambulatory surgery centers that don't require their patients to have someone drive them home ( at least if any anesthesia is involved). I don't recall their requiring a signature by the driver when the patient comes into the center, but they do ask for the name and contact information of the driver, so they can call when it's time to pick up the patient.

In my experience, ( as both a patient, and a designated driver) they asked for the signature of the driver, and patient both on the patient's discharge papers. Though if you refused to sign those papers as the driver, my guess is they'd probably release the patient anyway.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:18 PM

So if a patient were prescribed a certain test or procedure and simply told them they had no one to ask and perhaps couldn't even afford to pay someone, what would the medical provider do in that event - decide that test or procedure wasn't really necessary after all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness