Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 02:22 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm aware that not everyone has someone to go with them. I probably wouldn't myself.

The minor issue I was referring to was the act of signing something before the fact in response to someone saying she would have found another facility to do the procedure. Again, having to sign something just wasn't a big enough deal to cause me to flounce out in a self-righteous huff and go to the inconvenience of finding another facility that wouldn't ask for a signature.

If you don't have someone, pay someone. There are services that do that. Or reach out to a community or religious organization; those over age 60 can access volunteer services through their local Area Agency on Aging. There are even some states where Uber and Lyft are allowed to provide medical transport. It's not some sort of hopeless situation in which the person without a ride is rendered a completely helpless baby who is victimized by "regulations."

https://www.uberhealth.com

Or weave a web of lies, and if you're lucky enough, you probably won't get caught, and then you can pat yourself on the back for "outsmarting the system." Just seems like it would be a lot less trouble to get proactive and find a legit ride, and by that I mean a paid service if you have NO ONE TO ACCOMPANY YOU, like I'd probably have to do in that situation.

Uberhealth, that's a good reference to remember ( I've bookmarked it). We know there are many people who'd have to look around for a ride to and from a medical procedure, and I'm sure the involved healthcare facilities, who see those people all the time, are taking steps to make provisions for those who need that transportation ( one would have to make their needs known to find out about it, though).

They are required to operate within state and federal regulations ( including ensuring the safety of their patients) as a condition of their certification/licensure, and I am certain they aren't out to make their patients' transportation issues as difficult as possible.

And enterprising businesses, also seeing those needs, seem to be stepping to to provide the transportation.

IMO the information in this thread has been valuable. Despite the roving detractors who claim its a travesty to comment on situations which, in their judgement, a poster has no first hand experience, any or all of us might well find ourselves in need of a ride. If not now, then in the future. It's nice to know there are options out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 02:32 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So if a patient were prescribed a certain test or procedure and simply told them they had no one to ask and perhaps couldn't even afford to pay someone, what would the medical provider do in that event - decide that test or procedure wasn't really necessary after all?
That's just silly. The provider would probably suggest social services that could help. I'm sure they've heard this before from other patients in a similar situation.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Uberhealth, that's a good reference to remember ( I've bookmarked it). We know there are many people who'd have to look around for a ride to and from a medical procedure, and I'm sure the involved healthcare facilities, who see those people all the time, are taking steps to make provisions for those who need that transportation ( one would have to make their needs known to find out about it, though).

They are required to operate within state and federal regulations ( including ensuring the safety of their patients) as a condition of their certification/licensure, and I am certain they aren't out to make their patients' transportation issues as difficult as possible.

And enterprising businesses, also seeing those needs, seem to be stepping to to provide the transportation.

IMO the information in this thread has been valuable. Despite the roving detractors who claim its a travesty to comment on situations which, in their judgement, a poster has no first hand experience, any or all of us might well find ourselves in need of a ride. If not now, then in the future. It's nice to know there are options out there.
Thanks. There's also a service called Seniors Helping Seniors in some places; I don't know much about it but I think they would help with something like this. It's not totally free, though.

Medicaid and Medicare will likely pay for medical transport for those who can't afford it.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:49 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It depends on the clinic and the state, but I've had to do it here for my father. Didn't see any reason to "find somewhere else to have the procedure done" over something so minor. I also had to meet with the surgeon in person prior to the procedure and listen to his instructions for aftercare.
only reason I can think of would be if you had a POA or healthcare proxy and your father couldnt take care of himself or make hisown decisions.
But otherwise, I have never heard of any OP surgical facility requiring the driver to sign even before the procedure is scheduled. Ive dropped people off and picked up and never left my car. I was told they would call me when the patient was ready to leave.I was to drive to the front door of the facility, call the number they gave me to tell them I was waiting, and they would bring the patient out. I never got out of my car.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
only reason I can think of would be if you had a POA or healthcare proxy and your father couldnt take care of himself or make hisown decisions.
But otherwise, I have never heard of any OP surgical facility requiring the driver to sign even before the procedure is scheduled. Ive dropped people off and picked up and never left my car. I was told they would call me when the patient was ready to leave.I was to drive to the front door of the facility, call the number they gave me to tell them I was waiting, and they would bring the patient out. I never got out of my car.
None of that was in place, and because he's 90, I wasn't going to just drop him off and pick him up outside even if it had been permissible. Why that would be a hill anyone would want to die on is beyond me. I think I also had to sign something saying I'd be with him for the next 24 hours. That's not uncommon either.

Like I've said several times, it varies by state, and what's true in one place may not be true in another. The kind of anesthesia/sedation also factors in. All anyone has to do is run the question of what to do if you don't have a ride for outpatient surgery through Google to see that the answers are all over the place, but there are some common denominators, like this one:

https://www.aclsonline.us/blog/what-...atient-home-1/

Quote:
You did your part and got your patient through surgery with flying colors. But, uh-oh, the ride your patient was expecting to get home is a no-show. What should your ASC do?

Well, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, your ASC has a legal obligation to only discharge patients to a responsible adult when they have been under the influence of sedation.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-12-2022 at 07:58 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 07:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
"...your ASC has a legal obligation to only discharge patients to a responsible adult when they have been under the influence of sedation."

So if a "responsible adult" didn't show up to drive you home, you'd just sit in the lobby until it wore off? I mean, what would they do with you???

Old 07-12-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
"...your ASC has a legal obligation to only discharge patients to a responsible adult when they have been under the influence of sedation."

So if a "responsible adult" didn't show up to drive you home, you'd just sit in the lobby until it wore off? I mean, what would they do with you???
Read the article and then you tell me (clue: it's why they go to some trouble to ensure that you really do have a ride in the first place). And the answer has already been addressed in this thread several times.

Edit: this article from several years ago seems relevant today and may be of interest to some of you:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ls-do-us-wrong

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-12-2022 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 05:26 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:

We refer to the surgeon…

If the surgeon is willing to sign off it is a done deal.

Every year the surgeon or someone from the Docs office will step in to make sure patient gets home safely.

If for whatever reason the center was unable to provide the level of care required the backstop is transfer to hospital… and all ASC I’m affiliated with are required to have transfer of care plan in place.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:05 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Sounds like a short stint in the military, preferably not during wartime, is one of the best things a person can do for his own old age/retirement and life leading up to that. I'm constantly amazed at all the perks veterans and their families get. It almost seems over the top!
Yep, i served 2 tours in Vietnam.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:58 PM

177 posts, read 108,084 times
Contact your local branch of the Iris Network. They should help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness