Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 05:08 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 12 days ago)

43,470 posts, read 44,203,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This rule applies to any medical-procedure where you have anesthesia, not just a
vision-related procedure.

I have no problem with the requirement of having a ride home/no-driving after a
medical-procedure that involves anesthesia.....beyond that, it is just stupid overreach, IMHO.
Well I think they want someone picking you up so the medical facility can say that the person picking the patient is responsible in any case anything unusual happens before the anesthesia wears off. This is problematic for single people with no immediate family members or very good friends (willing to take a day off of work) living near to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM

11,170 posts, read 15,968,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Just turned 59 so it will be another year to qualify. Maybe they will tell me I can wait on surgery until next year. Thanks for the link!
FWIW, it's your decision, not theirs. Having a cataract is not like having an inflamed appendix; there's no urgency to having the surgical procedure done. If you vision isn't being impacted yet, you should be able to wait. Here's a Q&A from the Mayo Clinic on that: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...-surgery-wait/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Can you fly a couple of days after this surgery? I'm thinking of having my cataract surgery done in another city/state, where my sister lives, for precisely the reason OP discussed. At least then my sister could take care of me. But I don't think I could stay gone a full week.
Yes, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, it is generally safe to fly the day after surgery.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/ask-o...taract-surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
First, verify the exact rules for the exact surgeon/clinic who is doing the procedure. There are general industry standards and guidelines and then there are what the actual rules are for where you are having this done.

For friends and family who I have discussed this with (I am a candidate for cataract surgery), each of them was required to have a ride set up for afterward - it could not be a taxi service or taking public transit. Someone pre-identified had to come into the clinic, present ID, sign papers and walk them out to the car. This was the same requirement for colonoscopies that I have had. For the people I know who have had cataract surgery, the followup was not needed the following day but later (two weeks?) when they could drive themselves (this surgery amazes me as I still have memories of my grandmother having it in 1970 - the days of scalpels - and being in a hospital bed for two weeks with her head immobilized while it healed ... I know that was 50 years ago, but ...).
That's highly unusual. Again, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, "almost all ophthalmologists require their patients to be examined the first day after cataract surgery..." (see link above). And as a personal anecdote, follow-up appointments the day after surgery also is what is done at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, the #1 rated hospital for ophthalmology in the U.S.

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi.../ophthalmology

Old 06-23-2022, 07:16 AM

10,078 posts, read 6,377,710 times
Quote:
At this point the eye has slightly blurred vision and it bothers me slightly. I have a month and a half until I get it evaluated but I want to see what they say.

I will ask them at the evaluation what I need to do about this rule. I'm sure I am not the first person with this problem. I just wondered if someone else figured out a solution.
I have the exact same problem. The usual person I use (one of my garden helpers) isn't available on the two days that I'll be having my surgeries. I found a medical transport agency in town that is licensed, bonded, and insured that will drive me there and back and will stay during the procedure as required by the surgical facility. It's not cheap ($250 each procedure), but they're very experienced at doing this. In fact, from now on I will be using them for my colonoscopies and endoscopies as well.

BTW, I had signed up for Care.com, but I thought twice about it and just wasn't comfortable about picking someone off of the Internet. They say they "vet" their people, and it's only driving me to a surgical procedure, but I'm not that comfortable dealing with strangers when I'm stressed and anxious anyway. BTW, you will also need transportation for your follow-up visits. I have a follow-up visit for each surgery the day after the procedure, and the week after as well. However, I can Uber or take a taxi for those. It's not far.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
No anesthetic and no bandages or impaired vision. Surgery center is playing CYA. No Driver needed.
They may be playing CYA, but many surgery centers will NOT perform the surgery unless you have a driver bring you and stay will the surgery is performed. I just registered for my cataract surgery and had to give to name and phone number of the driver (in my case, transport company) who would be accompanying me.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:00 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,698,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I have the exact same problem. The usual person I use (one of my garden helpers) isn't available on the two days that I'll be having my surgeries. I found a medical transport agency in town that is licensed, bonded, and insured that will drive me there and back and will stay during the procedure as required by the surgical facility. It's not cheap ($250 each procedure), but they're very experienced at doing this. In fact, from now on I will be using them for my colonoscopies and endoscopies as well.

BTW, I had signed up for Care.com, but I thought twice about it and just wasn't comfortable about picking someone off of the Internet. They say they "vet" their people, and it's only driving me to a surgical procedure, but I'm not that comfortable dealing with strangers when I'm stressed and anxious anyway. BTW, you will also need transportation for your follow-up visits. I have a follow-up visit for each surgery the day after the procedure, and the week after as well. However, I can Uber or take a taxi for those. It's not far.
That sounds like an option. I'm wondering why they require a driver for the follow up visit since (hopefully) they wouldn't put you under a second time.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:12 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,527,019 times
After reading these comments, Im glad I live where I live! Ive never heard of general anesthesia for cataract surgery. Usually just a sedative but even that can be extremely light to just take the edge of anxiety away, like a valium maybe. Patch for only a few hours. No visit the next day. No all day hospital stay, just a few hours if that. Driving might be a problem or not. If someone is with you, just drop off and pick up. You don't always get 20/20 vision afterward.
And esp there is no need to have the surgery unless there is something that is unusual about the eye. Glasses can correct blurred vision. People have cataracts for years before they are removed if at all.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
That sounds like an option. I'm wondering why they require a driver for the follow up visit since (hopefully) they wouldn't put you under a second time.
The driver just doesn't need to stay. My follow-up visit is the next day so I don't expect to feel like driving anyway. I will be having my near vision corrected, so I've been told I won't be driving for about a month (); however, I will still have my current bifocals that correct for distance vision so if I really NEED to I will use them to drive. And I'll have new glasses after the surgery as well.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:48 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,698,786 times
New question. I am questioning the need to drive all the way to Chattanooga and I found a local clinic that offers cataract surgery in a nearby town. The question is how do I know if they are any good? Maybe my eye doctor has a deal for referrals to the Chattanooga place so that's why he suggested it?

Does anyone know of a website you can get honest reviews of medical results? If I went to the local place I wouldn't need a hotel, or a kennel stay for my dogs and would probably be able to get a friend to drive me.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
FWIW, it's your decision, not theirs. Having a cataract is not like having an inflamed appendix; there's no urgency to having the surgical procedure done. If you vision isn't being impacted yet, you should be able to wait. Here's a Q&A from the Mayo Clinic on that: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...-surgery-wait/
An inflamed appendix needing an appendectomy usually requires some monitoring (an overnight stay?). So one won't be released until the anesthesia has worn off in any case (meaning one won't need someone to pick one up).

Old 06-23-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
An inflamed appendix needing an appendectomy usually requires some monitoring (an overnight stay?) and removed appendix will be checked unusual bacteria. So one won't be released until the anesthesia has worn off in any case (meaning one won't need someone to pick one up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness