U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 07:24 PM

8,908 posts, read 4,905,836 times

Advertisements

The problems with having someone accompanying you to cataract surgery is not limited to just the surgery IME. I just went through this in the past two weeks. The medical transport service I engaged was excellent; they showed up on time and the driver came in with me and gave the surgi-center personnel her card and then stayed in the parking lot until they called her when I was ready to be discharged. I had a follow-up appointment the day after surgery with Lyft, which cancelled my ride literally at the time I needed to leave. After calling 5 cab companies (I was looking up their phone numbers on the computer with my good eye with a magnifying glass), none of them had a driver available. I finally banged on my neighbor's door and begged a ride with her.

The following week's surgery also went well with the same transport company. Alas, my ride for the follow-up the day after informed me that he had been diagnosed with Covid, so he was out. Again, I asked my lovely neighbor, at least this time in advance. Hopefully my ride for my one week appointment for my second eye will stay healthy and show up on time. I hate to bother my neighbor yet again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 07:28 PM

15,944 posts, read 8,622,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnfarm1947 View Post
Contact your local branch of the Iris Network. They should help.
Looks like it's only in the state of Maine, unless I'm missing something? Sounds like a great service, though! Something like that could have helped my mother a lot and also saved ME a lot of work!

Old 08-08-2022, 07:30 PM

6,756 posts, read 2,985,627 times
Having outpatient surgery tomorrow, and have already scheduled Uber to pick me up at home and, post op, pick me up at surgical center and bring me back home.

It's a 15 minute ride, $40 approx each way.

It's the only option I have.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:32 PM

24,295 posts, read 15,977,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Having outpatient surgery tomorrow, and have already scheduled Uber to pick me up at home and, post op, pick me up at surgical center and bring me back home.

I would do it for much cheaper than that if you were local. My EV only cost $6 a month to drive clive...

Old 08-10-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Someday someone should calculate all the money a person saves over a lifetime by having a support group.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:00 PM

2,523 posts, read 1,369,727 times
Quote:

When I was in Austin, I had the choice of Lyft & Uber & Lyft was 1/2 the cost. I know some smaller places have no choice, but it's just an FYI in case you'd like to explore Lyft.

I also lucked out & got 50% off my 1st 6 rides for joining, which was incredible cuz I'd had an accident with a handful of follow-up visits, all 45-min from home, so I saved a lot... I think my highest cost was $15. Perhaps they're still offering a discount for new members?

Old 08-11-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfgg View Post
That's rough, in our town a cab is often less than uber, that little trip would cost about $25 or so. Can you offer $25 to a friend to pick you up.
If he had a friend, he wouldn't have to pay him $25, much less $40.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:12 PM

6,756 posts, read 2,985,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If he had a friend, he wouldn't have to pay him $25, much less $40.
Oh, I actually do have friends, and we respect each others time. Plus, since we are all over 70 (some 80 or so), our driving skills are not so hot. So, I'd rather pay Uber and leave my friends alone. And whether it's $25 or $40 doesn't really matter, does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness