Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 08:44 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

I too wonder why some women get them and some don't, especially looking at, for example, my own family of four sisters, with two having hot flashes and two not. The second-oldest sister claims it's because she did physical work, but I worked in an office.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:48 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, in fairness... If they "slapped an estrogen patch on you," that would explain why you had only one hot flash; you immediately began taking HRT. I haven't had them, either, since beginning HRT (except for the times I've tried to wean off it and they returned). It's caused by the lack of those hormones, and it's remedied by replacing those hormones.

I'm much more mystified as to why women DON'T have them when they lose those hormones than why they DO, as it seems perfectly logical when you think about it...
There have been some studies done about this and apparently women who tend not to have them as often may have diets that contribute with foods like soy that contain phytoestrogens. Some countries tend to have lower rates of complaints; however, it seems like people who move from China to the US and adopt more of an American diet will then develop the symptoms of menopause. It isn’t that one group is more likely than others to get it just due to genetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 09:30 AM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I once thought menopause was and old woman thing too. Like Grandma stuff. Came along with retirement

Imagine my surprise when......
The thing is, no one tells you about it ahead of time. Did your mother ever mention it? Typically, mothers just suffered through it silently. Or they got hormones from their doctor, but they were the kind that studies later showed were carcinogenic. So when their daughters went through it, it was as if a train hit them from left field.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:34 AM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There have been some studies done about this and apparently women who tend not to have them as often may have diets that contribute with foods like soy that contain phytoestrogens. Some countries tend to have lower rates of complaints; however, it seems like people who move from China to the US and adopt more of an American diet will then develop the symptoms of menopause. It isn’t that one group is more likely than others to get it just due to genetics.
I have a friend who said, she was given Chinese herbs from an acupuncturist/herbalist in perimenopause, which helped mitigate the effects of menopause, when she went through it. There are herbs that help balance the hormones, some of which are used in the OTC remedies for the condition.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:47 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I too wonder why some women get them and some don't, especially looking at, for example, my own family of four sisters, with two having hot flashes and two not.
Well, if we had a "Woman's Health" forum here on City-Data, perhaps some knowledgeable people, medical types, etc. would chime in there and solve the mystery for us!

Old 07-11-2022, 11:08 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I get hot flashes a lot almost everyday. I keep the AC in my office at 68 and my boss says he's always chilly LOL. It's just 2 of us so I tell him put on a sweater, I say the same thing to my husband at home LOL.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:28 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, if we had a "Woman's Health" forum here on City-Data, perhaps some knowledgeable people, medical types, etc. would chime in there and solve the mystery for us!
If only!

Well, if that many women get hot flashes, I guess I've been lucky and just didn't know it, same as that other thing I always thought was an old wives' tale because it doesn't happen to me--people "crying" from cutting onions. I brought it up once at work because it always sounded so stupid, and to my shock, this is something that actually happened to pretty much everyone else in my office. Maybe because I am too tall--the onions might be far from my eyes, lol.

I wonder if there is a correlation between people who have hot flashes and people who cry from onions...somebody better get on that one real quick.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:11 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I honestly was guilty of thinking it was all in women's heads because my mother never had them, and I fully expected the same experience; imagine my surprise!

Old 07-11-2022, 01:19 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The thing is, no one tells you about it ahead of time. Did your mother ever mention it? Typically, mothers just suffered through it silently. Or they got hormones from their doctor, but they were the kind that studies later showed were carcinogenic. So when their daughters went through it, it was as if a train hit them from left field.
Not always. I'd heard about menopause-related hot flashes from other women before I ever experienced mine "for real". My mother wasn't one of them as she died quite young. I also remember talking about it with women of my own age who'd heard their older female relatives, co-workers, or a friend grouse about them. Maybe I heard more about it at a younger age because I went through chemically-induced menopause in my 30s and maybe that made the older women I happened to know or work with open up. I had already been inducted into their club; sympatico.

Which generation we're talking about plays into this too. Women of our parents' age didn't talk about such things nearly as freely as women who are reaching that age do now. Part of it was the social reticence to discuss reproductive/hormone issues so publicly, part of it was reluctance to accept they were no longer able to do the one thing women do that men can't. They're also past their "prime". I know my parents were reluctant to discuss the whole birds and bees thing when their kids reached adolescence, but they didn't leave us in the dark either. They dodged the bullet by enrolling us in community personal health classes. The class instructors got to bear the brunt of it. Menopause came up there.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-11-2022 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-11-2022, 01:21 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The second-oldest sister claims it's because she did physical work, but I worked in an office.
Baloney. I've had plenty of women co-workers in physical and outdoor jobs who would have killed to be hot flash free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness