Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 08:26 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Baloney. I've had plenty of women co-workers in physical and outdoor jobs who would have killed to be hot flash free!
Well, that same sister also told the younger sister that when younger went into the hospital with COVID she didn't actually HAVE it. They faked the test and then inserted the COVID into her lungs when they put the ventilator down her trachea...so I wouldn't put much stock in her medical knowledge.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
MQ I hate to tell you this but I cry when I cut onions - I am almost incapacitated. But I have only had one hot flash, immediately following my hysterectomy. Then someone put a patch on my stomach, containing a very low dose of estrogen, and I had no more. Then a few years later I got off all the estrogen and still haven't had any hot flashes. I was in my early fifties then.

My doctor told me that even with the low level of estrogen in the patch, I might have hot flashes, but I never did. I am counting myself lucky in that regard.

But cutting up an onion will bring me to my knees! Also, I'm tall - but not as tall as you. Still...ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
MQ I hate to tell you this but I cry when I cut onions - I am almost incapacitated. But I have only had one hot flash, immediately following my hysterectomy. Then someone put a patch on my stomach, containing a very low dose of estrogen, and I had no more. Then a few years later I got off all the estrogen and still haven't had any hot flashes. I was in my early fifties then.

My doctor told me that even with the low level of estrogen in the patch, I might have hot flashes, but I never did. I am counting myself lucky in that regard.

But cutting up an onion will bring me to my knees! Also, I'm tall - but not as tall as you. Still...ugh.
That is funny. I wonder why onions don't bother me. I like them and eat them, raw or cooked.

But there goes my theory (which was only a joke). I don't know why some of us get hot flashes and some don't. It's interesting.

I bought my condo in 2010. I am not living there right now, but my brother is. He called one day to say there was a leak under the bathroom sink and he'd fixed it, but the stuff in the drawer below the pipe was all soggy and he wanted to know if he could throw everything out. He mentioned what was in there, including a box of tampons. And I thought, WOW, I guess when I moved in, I still needed them!

My last period was just before I turned 53, so that was 11 years ago, so yeah. It seems so long ago and yet not so long ago at the same time.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:38 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I'm not that tall, so I also cry when I cut up onions, though I find if I cut them up under the vent fan over the stove ( turned on high), it's much better.

I'm many years past menopause, so no hot flashes for many years. It seems the women in our family
go through the change relatively early, in their early to middle 40's. So it was with me, with irregular periods and hot flashes beginning around 42-43. I lived with them, HRT was contraindicated for me due to high blood pressure issues and a family history of DVTs ( I couldn't use birth control pills either, same reason), but I had no idea how long this perimenopausal baloney would last before it just called it quits.

But I think I must have had menopause brought about suddenly at age 45, thanks, I think associated with the traumatic events around Hurricane Andrew in 1992. This was a category 5 hurricane, our home was located in the northern eyewall, and we stayed in the back of the house as the front of it was destroyed, roof and all. We didn't think we would survive that night, though we did, and we rebuilt the house stronger than it had been. As bad as that night was, I couldn't say which was worse, that night, the year living like nomads, or the two year aftermath, trying to rebuild, settle the finances, and getting back to the semblence of normalcy.

I never had any periods after that, and I don't recall having any more hotflashes either.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:06 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The thing is, no one tells you about it ahead of time. Did your mother ever mention it? Typically, mothers just suffered through it silently. Or they got hormones from their doctor, but they were the kind that studies later showed were carcinogenic. So when their daughters went through it, it was as if a train hit them from left field.
My mom didn't tell me ANYTHING My best friend had older sisters and family in the medical field and sadly, that was where I learned everything when I was younger. I even had to figure out gyn appointments on my own.

Funny though, all through my childhood we joked that I'd get hot flashes while doing housework.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
My mother told me all about periods, and I was well prepared for that, but there was nothing for her to tell about menopause except that her periods stopped and that she, personally, gained weight around that time when she'd been painfully thin all her life until then. You can't impart an experience you haven't experienced.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm not that tall, so I also cry when I cut up onions, though I find if I cut them up under the vent fan over the stove ( turned on high), it's much better.

I'm many years past menopause, so no hot flashes for many years. It seems the women in our family
go through the change relatively early, in their early to middle 40's. So it was with me, with irregular periods and hot flashes beginning around 42-43. I lived with them, HRT was contraindicated for me due to high blood pressure issues and a family history of DVTs ( I couldn't use birth control pills either, same reason), but I had no idea how long this perimenopausal baloney would last before it just called it quits.

But I think I must have had menopause brought about suddenly at age 45, thanks, I think associated with the traumatic events around Hurricane Andrew in 1992. This was a category 5 hurricane, our home was located in the northern eyewall, and we stayed in the back of the house as the front of it was destroyed, roof and all. We didn't think we would survive that night, though we did, and we rebuilt the house stronger than it had been. As bad as that night was, I couldn't say which was worse, that night, the year living like nomads, or the two year aftermath, trying to rebuild, settle the finances, and getting back to the semblence of normalcy.

I never had any periods after that, and I don't recall having any more hotflashes either.
Interesting tale connecting menopause with a hurricane! I remember Andrew. Had family in Florida at the time, but they missed that one (Charley would get 'em some years later).

Glad you have a survival story to tell.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:00 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting tale connecting menopause with a hurricane! I remember Andrew. Had family in Florida at the time, but they missed that one (Charley would get 'em some years later).

Glad you have a survival story to tell.
Thanks. For sure, our experiences with Andrew and the two year aftermath with rebuilding really drove home the concept of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. There isn't much on this earth I fear anymore, or that I feel I couldn't handle and get through. It's a good place to be.

We now live where Charley went through. We have met lots of Charley survivors and can commiserate with them.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:19 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not hard to accept, just surprising. The women I have known who talked about hot flashes are few. Perhaps that's the reason--maybe 70-80% of those 70-80% of women just don't talk about it.

Per my own anecdote above, I did not even know my own oldest sister experienced them until I asked because of this thread. I only knew my younger sister did because she happened to mention one day that they would hit her at work sitting at her desk and she would leave the building in the winter to go outside and cool off.
I think that's the thing. Most women don't talk about it. It's not really an interesting topic for discussion. 50-somethings don't normally gather at the lunch table at work to discuss their menstrual cycles, loss of menstruation, menopause, vaginal dryness, hot flashes, etc. Once in awhile you might see a woman at work whose brow suddenly becomes covered in a sheen of sweat. You start to ask her if she's okay, she gives you "the look" and you know it's just a hot flash. No words need to be said.

I've been getting hot flashes sporadically since the onset of menopause around 11 years ago, my mom is 88 and still has them once in awhile.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
But 51 is hardly “senior citizen” territory.

Signed, a C-Der who also does not consider herself a senior citizen at 58.
I'll be 64 in a couple of weeks, and I don't feel like a senior citizen although I suppose I qualify

I was only 51 and not yet in menopause when I found City-Data, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness