Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 12:01 PM

550 posts, read 340,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
But 51 is hardly “senior citizen” territory.

Signed, a C-Der who also does not consider herself a senior citizen at 58.
I think AARP starts sending out booklets to people when they turn 55. Many places give a Senior Discount starting at age 55.

51 is not that far from 55, and as we all know the older one gets the faster times goes by.

Update: Ok just checked it's 50 AARP that someone can join.

Last edited by bellamax2; 07-17-2022 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 12:59 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,175,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
I think AARP starts sending out booklets to people when they turn 55. Many places give a Senior Discount starting at age 55.

51 is not that far from 55, and as we all know the older one gets the faster times goes by.

Update: Ok just checked it's 50 AARP that someone can join.
My husband and I are both 51, and AARP has already mailed membership packets to us, with a free trunk/tailgate organizer thrown in! I didn't respond because I've been warned that if they hear back from you, they completely inundate you with marketing information. Can't confirm that though.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 12,916,978 times
If the conversation is about grandkids, I'm gonna try to change it to menopause. Or ANYTHING else. EVERY time. Just sayin'...

And many places offer a senior discount beginning at age 50. There's so much variation that you just have to ask literally anywhere and everywhere you spend money.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:18 PM

15,138 posts, read 27,747,332 times
AARP is apparently in cahoots w/the SSA - they start mailing out TONS of mailings starting before 50. I am so angry that SSA shares this info.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:12 AM

9,837 posts, read 7,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I put it in quotations marks for just that reason.

It's not ME who is "ashamed" of menopause, but women who deny it.

And probably those who won't or can't talk about it... PLENTY of women talk about it on lots of forums and message boards devoted to the subject. They commisserate and laugh and exchange information and share tips for dealing with it... They're not ashamed of it, and that you equate it with vomiting is frankly rather odd!
Not ashamed here, I just don't really get what you want to talk about. A few days ago at work, one employee walked by and said whew, just had a hot flash. Yep. What else is there to say? It's not that interesting, it's just something we all go through. She wasn't interested in talking about it anymore either.

I could've suggested that she quit eating all the sweets and eat a healthier diet and exercise a bit so she could lose 40 pounds to see if that would help, but pretty sure that's not the kind of information she would receive positively. And she never complains about her menopause symptoms anyway.

One thing I'm not going to talk about is what medications or hormones anyone is taking. That is between them and their doctor. I don't take anything myself, but that's me.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:33 AM

10,086 posts, read 6,413,509 times
I never talked about hot flashes at work, but everyone knew when I had them because my face would turn beet red and sweat would stream down it. I had a total hysterectomy at 43 where my ovaries were removed as well, and even having a low-dose HRT patch didn't prevent having severe menopause afterwards. It was miserable for a while, both physically and emotionally, but I worked in an otherwise all male office so had to buck up and shut up. The guys would tease me whenever I grabbed a file folder and started fanning myself furiously. Fun times.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:30 AM

I wasn't necessarily referring to "talking about" hot flashes in a professional office setting; I had more in mind close friends over wine or on message boards - such as this one. Sigh!

Old 07-18-2022, 09:45 AM

9,837 posts, read 7,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wasn't necessarily referring to "talking about" hot flashes in a professional office setting; I had more in mind close friends over wine or on message boards - such as this one. Sigh!
My employee is my close friend and we have a group of girlfriends that meet once a week. But again, it's still not a topic that anyone ever brings up. We're all in our 50's-60's. I'm just seconding the opinion that we're not ashamed to talk about it, there's just really not much to talk about unless you have serious issues to discuss with your doctor.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
...there's just really not much to talk about unless you have serious issues to discuss with your doctor.
I would say the same for pregnancy, but in most people's experience, pregnant women talk and post about it - especially with each other - AD NAUSEUM. Whatevers!

Last edited by otterhere; 07-18-2022 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-18-2022, 11:31 AM

3,091 posts, read 992,989 times
I think it's OK to talk/write about it if you feel the need.

In general, people are kind and want to help. I had/have a very hard time with hormones since puberty. Collapsing/fainting on the street, at work, in the shower. And many other severe unpleasant symptoms. Most of the people that helped me (strangers too) were women. But men also. I had coworkers men, my boss too one time, who would dropp everything and drive me home back to my parents.

People are kind, concerned for others. There is always someone with more empathy that offers to help. Or just to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness