Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 07:20 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the comments, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You should really get a PCR test because if it was omicron, you may not test positive, my daughter and grandson had negative rapid tests but PCR was positive.

Thanks! I would if I strongly felt that I may have it, but (since starting to feel ill on Thurs) I really started feeling pretty good already on Sat & even better since Sun & have had NO headache, body ache, swollen neck glands, runny nose, cough, congestion, nausea, & no fever nor sore throat since Sun morning. (Most of what I listed, I never had even when I started feeling ill.) & always had sense of taste all along too.

So it seemed to be the beginning of what I said I have here: //www.city-data.com/forum/healt...red-spots.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
She only does aerobics 3x/week...not much else...still drives there...a few friends also in 80's there...I think it really keeps her going...the socialization aspect good too. She doesn't really use computer...maybe TV thing? I've seen a group doing outside yoga...may look into that? Feel much more comfortable if she can do something outside. Will ask her doctor about omicron. She also was at a few doctor appointments (masked up though) the week She caught it (on the 24th)...still think aerobics most likely spot got it. She wants to go back in a few days 12 days out. Will decide soon...thanks for the reply!

Sorry your mom got COVID. My almost 84 yr old mom's still very spry too...still drives, goes walking almost daily, still lives in her 2-story home she hared w/ my dad, etc. My mom uses the computer/internet.

The difference btwn your mom & mine is that she doesn't need that in-person social interaction really. She knows how to keep going & stay happy.

She used to go to this exercise class called Silver Sneakers & play Scrabble up at her community ctr, but when things 1st shut down back on March 19, 2020 due to COVID, she still hasn't been back to play since. Sure, she played for fun, but certainly not if it's going to risk her health. She's always talked to her sister & a couple of other people & since not playing Scrabble w/ them anymore, she talks to 2 or 3 Scrabble ladies via phone, so she's good. (She's not vaxxed & never caught COVID.)

As Roselvr said, she can do aerobics at home or out on her own in the wide open space of the outdoors at the park or something at the very least until she's all cleared from COVID at least, right?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 07-05-2022 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 01:27 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Thanks! I would if I strongly felt that I may have it, but (since starting to feel ill on Thurs) I really started feeling pretty good already on Sat & even better since Sun & have had NO headache, body ache, swollen neck glands, runny nose, cough, congestion, nausea, & no fever nor sore throat since Sun morning. (Most of what I listed, I never had even when I started feeling ill.) & always had sense of taste all along too.

So it seemed to be the beginning of what I said I have here: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hea...red-spots.html

Sorry your mom got COVID. My almost 84 yr old mom's still very spry too...still drives, goes walking almost daily, still lives in her 2-story home she hared w/ my dad, etc. My mom uses the computer/internet.

The difference btwn your mom & mine is that she doesn't need that in-person social interaction really. She knows how to keep going & stay happy.

She used to go to this exercise class called Silver Sneakers & play Scrabble up at her community ctr, but when things 1st shut down back on March 19, 2020 due to COVID, she still hasn't been back to play since. Sure, she played for fun, but certainly not if it's going to risk her health. She's always talked to her sister & a couple of other people & since not playing Scrabble w/ them anymore, she talks to 2 or 3 Scrabble ladies via phone, so she's good. (She's not vaxxed & never caught COVID.)

As Roselvr said, she can do aerobics at home or out on her own in the wide open space of the outdoors at the park or something at the very least until she's all cleared from COVID at least, right?
Thanks...just looked at that low ceiling, windowless, "new" stuffy aerobics room...terrible!! Having 10 or more maskless people in there with no ventilation...no way! Pulling mom out and looking at that "Silver Sneaker" YMCA class, some other ones around in much bigger rooms with hepa filters...maybe I'll have her do on her own as well? There are a few outside yoga groups also...feel better if outside...we shall see!

Old 07-05-2022, 08:01 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:

So it seemed to be the beginning of what I said I have here: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hea...red-spots.html

Omicron doesn't have the loss of taste and smell that the other COVID had. You could have COVID because everyone gets it different. Look at one of the symptoms threads, you'll see how some barely are sick but test positive.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:06 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,183,073 times
Quote:
Now today (Sun) is day 3 & current temp's 97.8 & I'd say I feel pretty much back to normal. Anyone know what in the world that could have been? I really don't think it was COVID. I'd think I would have felt a lot worse. I do have those 15-min at-home tests, but never used it (but thought about it). My breathing & sense of taste was always good. Was able to purely rest these few days & still slept through the whole nights. Never really any coughing.
That belief is the fault of the information we've been pounded with the last two years by the media. Sounds to me like you had COVID. I am not vaccinated either and I have had COVID. Twice (the OG strain and omicron). Each time was far less worse than what you experienced. I did lose my smell and taste the first time around, but only had a fever one evening, at about 101F.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:57 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Thanks...just looked at that low ceiling, windowless, "new" stuffy aerobics room...terrible!! Having 10 or more maskless people in there with no ventilation...no way! Pulling mom out and looking at that "Silver Sneaker" YMCA class, some other ones around in much bigger rooms with hepa filters...maybe I'll have her do on her own as well? There are a few outside yoga groups also...feel better if outside...we shall see!

Do they call it Silver Sneakers there too by any chance? I haven't gone to the gym myself since before COVID. No way. I won't take the chance when I can exercise some at home, walk around in the park, OR e-biking, which I've started doing a year into COVID.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:16 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:

What good is good health for your mom if she isn't doing the things she enjoys? I'm not trying to be unkind, but if I were still as concerned about Covid as you seem to be, I might as well just be dead. Life is for living!

Do you know that your lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are 1 in 107? (I know, sounds shockingly high, but you can Google it if you wish). You need to keep the things you're worried about in perspective. Covid is not worth living in fear over. I say this as a person taking an immunosuppressant twice a day and was not vaccinated. I got Covid last December. Yeah, I was sick, but we all get sick sometimes.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:55 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Do they call it Silver Sneakers there too by any chance? I haven't gone to the gym myself since before COVID. No way. I won't take the chance when I can exercise some at home, walk around in the park, OR e-biking, which I've started doing a year into COVID.
Smart to do that! Yep...is silver sneakers. Not doing that for mom though...found an outdoor yoga group at the beach now which I'm more comfortable with.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:43 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Your symptoms sound like the most recent strain of covid. Our whole family just got it (started with my oldest child, and then our youngest and then myself and my wife). Oldest came home from camp saying he didn't feel well and his head hurt (very abnormal for him). We ended up taking him to the ER simply because we thought it was a concussion from playing with the neighborhood kids earlier in the day (he was tackled at one point). Anyways, they did a covid test and it was positive. He had a high fever and was lethargic but was back to normal within 24hrs. Same story for our 4 year old. For my wife and I it was a bit worse. We both got body aches/chills and had a fever for one day and then most of our symptoms have been congestion/sinus related. For the record we haven't had any of the other covid strands before this one.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:22 PM

841 posts, read 553,150 times
I think I saw where this ended up being HFM or maybe you had that, too.

Where I work, they do free tests every week on asymptomatic people. Just voluntary to do if you want to. I live someplace where no one really took Covid seriously. Life just kept on going like normal. But my father started having some heart problems, so I started getting tested.

For background, I got the J&J vax in May of 21, but never did get any boosters. After we came back from winter break, on my first test in January of this year, the results came back as unreadable. Did the test the next week as well. That was on a Wednesday. Friday morning I got notified that I was positive. We already had Monday off, so basically I just got to leave work early on Friday and then I was cleared to come back on Tuesday. Either I never had any symptoms (and really did currently have it) or it all goes back to one day in December when I ran a fever for about 8 hours and was then completely fine (but continued to test positive for it which I have read some people will do for weeks). I was concerned about continuing to test positive and having to miss work again, so I just stopped getting tested. (I did get the flu later and tested at that time.)

Just wanted to throw it out there that not everyone gets sick from it or matches what you 'expect' it to feel like. No one I was around during that time ever showed any symptoms that suggested they go and get tested. I didn't have the at-home tests then or I would have made my bf take one just out of curiosity.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:40 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Silver Sneakers refers to the name given to the fitness program included in many Medicare insurance plans. Many gyms participate in the program (free/reduced membership for those Medicare receipts) but don't necessarily call it Silver Sneakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness