U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 10:06 AM

6,404 posts, read 10,243,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There is a natural sleep aid called Midnite that Walmart sells for about $8, I suggest you try it. You put it on your tongue, let it dissolve, you should be asleep within the hour. If you wake up, take one then close your eyes. You should drift off again unless your internal clock says it's time to wake up. That's been my issue for the last year or so.

It's 2AM I've already been awake a few hours. No matter what time I go to sleep, I'm up around midnight to 1AM. I decided to let my body sleep when it needs sleep, so most days I'm dead by 4 or 5 PM. Some times I'll wake up a few hours later, stay awake a bit, then take a sleeping pill (generic lunesta) to go back to sleep. Other times I'll fall asleep 30 minutes to an hour, then will take the pill to go to sleep.

When my internal clock says it's time to get up, midnite won't work for me. I still keep it on hand for those times when it will work. It's all natural. My daughter also has sleep issues, she does the same as me with generic lunesta and midnite.

There are a few generic lunesta's, we've found CVS has the best working one, I think it was by Dr Reddy.

I've tried Ambien, doesn't work for me. My daughter took it for a while but changed to lunesta years ago. It works better.
Good to know some help is out there.

I kept a journal during the infection (62 days) and I just went back and read it.
When I was on the CIPRO and the first one (started with an M, I think), I slept straight through.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 10:17 AM

17,640 posts, read 6,274,996 times
I am guessing it's hormonal. It's a big issue for post menopausal women. I got kicked into menopause by chemo and hormone blockers. Sleep is a BIG problem for me.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:53 PM

6,404 posts, read 10,243,113 times
Default About 4-5 years now

Post menopausal for about 4 years I think.

I never even had many hot flashes.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:50 AM

6,605 posts, read 2,797,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Chas:
I will show this to my husband as he is struggling a bit also. We go to bed together.

The 11 PM will be tough but I'll shoot for midnight.

#4 is easy for me. I do not take naps. My husband does though (sometimes, I'll see his office light off for 20 minutes).

#5 - I'm working on this.

#6 - Easy. I do not drink.

Thanks for these suggestions.
And......as 'new-agey' as it might sound, using a small bit of oil to massage the bottom of your feet before bed is very helpful, too. No special oil required and it doesn't have to be a long massage. 3-5 minutes will do. Put on some soft sox afterward.

All the other suggestions presented here are excellent.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:15 AM

4,496 posts, read 2,951,408 times
I checked into "Midnite" and found that Amazon charges a lot more for it than Walmart. Usually their prices are fairly similar if not the same.

$18.95 for 45 gummies at Amazon
$9.95 for 36 gummies at Walmart

Thanks for the suggestion Roselvr. I need to try this. I have some Hemp gummies that worked for a couple days, then they didn't. Also, taking them within 3 hours of having to wake up produced a slight hangover (grogginess).

I occasionally use a small corner of a marijuana brownie for pain. The one I take works fast, as in minutes fast. It's very potent. I'm not the type that likes to be high so I have to be in a lot of pain to take it. Taking it upon going to bed works ok for sleep.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:32 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,651,192 times
Things I use for help with sleep.

Lavender essential oil on wrists, sides of neck and tip of nose.
Dreamsleeppillow mix of dried mugwort from my garden and lavender flowers for tea bought online from german pharmacy, my plant did not survive last summer heatwave.
Tried lavender tea once but no.
Valerian tincture smells horrible but a little on wrists helps to get drowsy.
Used to take herbal sleep baths but due to OA no baths anymore.
Online you can find herbal sleep baths recipes. I used a diy handsewn muslin bag to avoid messy tub full of herb bits.

https://blog.mountainroseherbs.com/herbal-bath-recipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZYbU82GVz4

Magnesium 500 night time tablets with melatonin and hops.

https://www.medikamente-per-klick.de...30stk-16808425

In the past used sleepytimetea by celestialseasonings.
Warm milk with a tiny bit of freshly grated nutmeg before sleep.
Herbal teas.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,397,534 times
Sleep apnea will do this, too. You stop breathing and your body jolts you back to breathe and that wakes you up. And yes it can happen many times through the night. You can get fitted with a monitor overnight to diagnose it and depending upon the doctor's recommendations you might have to get at C-Pap machine.

I too stay up til 1 or 2 a.m. but I sleep until about 11 a.m. because I can. I'm retired. I assume you still go out to work everyday.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:44 PM

9,377 posts, read 6,202,427 times
I've been lucky most of my life and sleep pretty well.

There are times, though, that I have insomnia. What works for me are one of several things.

1. I discovered Advil PM, and things like that a couple of yrs ago. These work well for me, even during times of high stress.
2. Nyquil's Zzzzzzz liquid works well for me. Tasty, too.
3. A shot or two of my favorite liqueur mixed with skim milk...a small alcoholic content mixed w/melatonin = good sleep & tasty, too.

Things to do during the day that help sleep:
1. Mild to moderate exercise. A tired body = a sleep-ready body. Walking 20 minutes or yoga or workout early in the day at a gym...whatever. These things tire the body, use the muscles, plus help relieve stress and affect the brain.
2. Not focusing on stressful things going on, whether by listening to favorite upbeat music, dancing while doing house chores, whatever.
3. Taking a super duper full-range multi-vitamin supplement; some vitamins directly affect stress and of course general health.
4. Avoid caffeine at night.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:20 PM

3,701 posts, read 3,693,062 times
I've used all of these with success:

melatonin
L-tryptophan
chamomile
valerian root extract
Calea Zacatechichi (ebay)
Kava root extract
Glycine

I get tolerant to all of them if take same thing for long time so I mix it up. For melatonin (well, all of them actually) I recommend taking the smallest possible dose and increasing it until you find the sweet spot. If I take too much I'm tired the next day.

I tried ambien and lunesta many years ago and they created more problems than they solved.

Ambien has been used to wake people up out of a vegetative state, which is the opposite result of what one would expect. It does things to the brain that are not well understood.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:15 PM

598 posts, read 1,123,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
And......as 'new-agey' as it might sound, using a small bit of oil to massage the bottom of your feet before bed is very helpful, too. No special oil required and it doesn't have to be a long massage. 3-5 minutes will do. Put on some soft sox afterward.

All the other suggestions presented here are excellent.
It was new agey about 50 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness