U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 07:23 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,951,408 times

Advertisements

I got my "Midnite" from Walmart today andI will use it tonight. Last night the hemp gummies worked really well. I got sleepy right away. I always put them under my tongue and let them dissolve sublingually, even though the directions don't say to do that. The problem is, I always wake up around 4 a.m. to use the bathroom. It's too late to take a gummy then. I tried it and was a bit groggy when I woke up a couple hours later. You have to sleep them off.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 08:36 PM

6,404 posts, read 10,243,113 times
Smile Yes, see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Sleep apnea will do this, too. You stop breathing and your body jolts you back to breathe and that wakes you up. And yes it can happen many times through the night. You can get fitted with a monitor overnight to diagnose it and depending upon the doctor's recommendations you might have to get at C-Pap machine.

I too stay up til 1 or 2 a.m. but I sleep until about 11 a.m. because I can. I'm retired. I assume you still go out to work everyday.
Usually at work 9:30 AM - 10 AM but sometimes get up and do some remote work before then.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:44 PM

25,626 posts, read 25,517,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I've used all of these with success:

melatonin
L-tryptophan
chamomile
valerian root extract
Calea Zacatechichi (ebay)
Kava root extract
Glycine

I get tolerant to all of them if take same thing for long time so I mix it up. For melatonin (well, all of them actually) I recommend taking the smallest possible dose and increasing it until you find the sweet spot. If I take too much I'm tired the next day.

I tried ambien and lunesta many years ago and they created more problems than they solved.

Ambien has been used to wake people up out of a vegetative state, which is the opposite result of what one would expect. It does things to the brain that are not well understood.
I read a study on Glycine several years ago and it said it would help with sleep. Big dosage but I took the chance. It did not help me sleep. It DID cure my fibromyalgia 100%.

So I am looking at amino acids and apparently one that helps with sleep could be Glutamine. This is just an idea, something to investigate. People do become lower in protein as they age and these amino acids are the builders of protein.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:55 PM

I haev a Magnesium supplement that contains the amino acid theanine, which is supposed to help sleep as well.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:06 PM

3,701 posts, read 3,693,062 times
I forgot to mention, listening to ASMR audio (free on youtube) with headphones (doesn't work without them) helps induce sleep for a lot of people.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:24 AM

3,839 posts, read 1,679,537 times
Although many studies don’t show that melatonin works for sleep, this study found that 5 mg does increase sleep time….by a whopping 15 minutes! I don’t know if this is statistically significant….but does 15 minutes more of a sleep a night really matter! I always was amused by people who claim they have many issues and feel terrible when they lose an hour if a sleep with daylight savings change time. Since l never ever get 8 hours a night, I feel no difference losing an hour or two, or getting
15 minutes. Do you?

https://www.braintomorrow.com/higher...-older-adults/

Old 07-08-2022, 07:39 AM

6,609 posts, read 2,797,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
It was new agey about 50 years ago
Okay, old agey

Old 07-08-2022, 08:38 AM

35,596 posts, read 41,702,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There is a natural sleep aid called Midnite that Walmart sells for about $8, I suggest you try it.
That is nothing more than melatonin. You can buy it most anywhere for far less than $8.

I have taken melatonin for years, along with my regular vitamins. I sleep really well, and generally get 8 hours, so I don't know whether or not it really does a lot for me but I figure it can't hurt.

Occasionally, if I am sleeping somewhere that I know I may get less sleep (at my BF's house for instance - his @#$% dog sleeps in the bedroom and I rarely make it through the night without her waking me up) I will take a diphenhydramine hcl (the drug in Benadryl - I just buy the generic as a sleep aid) and that will pretty much do it for the night. If I take it too late, it will make me a bit groggy in the morning so I really try to take it a couple of hours before bed.

I have taken Ambien a couple of times - my sister gave me a couple a few years ago - it knocks me out. I have a cousin that takes it every night, with his dr.'s blessing. So if you need it, I would think it is fine to take it.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 07-08-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-08-2022, 08:53 AM

19,811 posts, read 16,881,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I read a study on Glycine several years ago and it said it would help with sleep. Big dosage but I took the chance. It did not help me sleep.
It DID cure my fibromyalgia 100%.
What? This needs to be bolded! Thanks, telling my friends!

Old 07-08-2022, 09:03 AM

Wonder if it would work on arthritis, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness