U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 04:43 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,960,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
I once took the amino acid l-arginine (1g three times a day). It made me very relaxed. I slept better during the day and at night. Try it. But I also became more sentimental. It probably relaxes the psyche completely.
That's interesting. Never heard that about Arginine. I can't take Arginine because it causes shingles to reactivate. I had shingles in my 30's so I have to watch Arginine intake (food).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's interesting. Never heard that about Arginine. I can't take Arginine because it causes shingles to reactivate. I had shingles in my 30's so I have to watch Arginine intake (food).
Yes, that's right. Arginine has such quality. It can cause herpes and supports inflammation in the body. It is recommended to take it together with the amino acid lysine. But if I were you I wouldn't take it at all.

I also slept well when I was taking the amino acids lysine, proline, glycine and collagen. It supports the skin. I didn't notice the effect on my skin, but I slept well and had a good mood.

I was taking glycine and lysine separately, I mean only glycine during the month and only lysine during the next one, but there was no effect. I guess they only work together. I also read that proline produces arginine. Perhaps you need to be careful with proline too.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:08 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,960,114 times
Oh, thank for that info. I'm going to try it. Once in awhile I take some lysine if I know that I've been exposed to arginine for whatever reason. (For example, I have to watch certain protein powders; many of them have arginine.)

I don't think there is anything that can keep me from waking up in the middle of the night (usually bladder) but I've noticed that getting back to sleep after going to the bathroom has become easier.

Tonight I'm going to try the Midnite again. Have been taking the Hemp gummies for a few nights now. Trying to switch it up and trick my body into responding. (Kind of like when you switch shampoos your hair behaves better until it gets used to the product, then you switch again.)

Old 07-13-2022, 05:55 PM

141 posts, read 137,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We have a marijuana brownie around 8 pm. It takes a couple hours to kick in so it's perfect for sleep. I used to wake up after a few hours and not get back to sleep until dawn, but not anymore. Really deep, satisfying sleep for us. No "hangovers" or after-effects.

We often go to bed late and it doesn't matter. We don't get up early either...more like 9:00 a.m.

I exercise an hour a day, but he doesn't and that doesn't seem to matter either.

ETA: I used to think it didn't work for pain (for me), but when I didn't have one the other night, I lay awake with my arthritic arms aching all night. So I guess it does work!
Some strains for sleep:

• Tahoe OG Kush
  • Granddaddy Purple
  • Sweet and Sour Widow
  • Northern Lights

Old 07-13-2022, 06:00 PM

141 posts, read 137,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
And......as 'new-agey' as it might sound, using a small bit of oil to massage the bottom of your feet before bed is very helpful, too. No special oil required and it doesn't have to be a long massage. 3-5 minutes will do. Put on some soft sox afterward.

All the other suggestions presented here are excellent.
The skin on the bottom of your feet is very thin and can absorb things easily.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:40 PM

6,408 posts, read 10,245,758 times
Smile Thanks for all the suggestions

I'm reading all these.

I've been watching what I eat since July 4th.

I'm making a more conscious effort to get to bed by 1 AM. It's a bit hard some nights but I'm trying.

I'm also trying to have dinner before 7 PM. And then, that's it.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and report back.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:44 PM

4,848 posts, read 1,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Bette,

My suggestions:

1. Get regular exercise every day... morning AND afternoon, 7 days per week. Walking, swimming, whatever you're able to do.

2. Start going to bed no later than 11 PM whether you're sleepy or not.

3. Get up by 6:30 or 7 AM even if you have to set the alarm to do so.

4. Do NOT take any naps during the day... not even for 5 minutes. If you feel yourself starting to nod off, get up and walk around for 10 minutes or so.

5. Do not eat after dinner (about 6 pm).

6. Do not drink any alcohol after 7 pm.

It will take your body a few days to adjust to this new routine, but by the end of the 5th day, you'll be sleeping well and waking up refreshed. You MUST stick to this schedule. Even if you don't sleep well one night, get up at the regular time and tough it out through the day with no naps.
Thanks for the advice

Old 07-15-2022, 07:03 AM

5,089 posts, read 3,763,524 times
No one has mentioned Unisom. This is the only otc sleep aid that works for me, usually. But you have to read the label. The active ingredient in the original formula caplets is doxylamine succinate. Unisom also has sleep-gels, supposed to act faster. But the active ingredient is diphenhydramine, which is benedryl.

I guess it’s 6 of one, half dozen of the other, but benedryl leaves me very drowsy the following day, while unisom does not.

I do tend to build up resistance to it if I take it for more than a few nights in a row.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:06 AM

35,597 posts, read 41,716,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
No one has mentioned Unisom. This is the only otc sleep aid that works for me, usually. But you have to read the label. The active ingredient in the original formula caplets is doxylamine succinate. Unisom also has sleep-gels, supposed to act faster. But the active ingredient is diphenhydramine, which is benedryl.

I guess it’s 6 of one, half dozen of the other, but benedryl leaves me very drowsy the following day, while unisom does not.

I do tend to build up resistance to it if I take it for more than a few nights in a row.
Doxylamine succinate is of course, an antihistamine, similar to diphenhydramine (Benedryl) but it is supposed to have a much stronger sedation effect. It's odd that it would leave you less groggy in the morning.

That said, diphenhydramine is the only antihistamine (for sleep) that I can take that won't bounce me off the ceiling all night. I guess I have a strange reaction to antihistamines, but until I discovered Benadryl, I just could not take them at night.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:03 PM

5,089 posts, read 3,763,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Doxylamine succinate is of course, an antihistamine, similar to diphenhydramine (Benedryl) but it is supposed to have a much stronger sedation effect. It's odd that it would leave you less groggy in the morning.

That said, diphenhydramine is the only antihistamine (for sleep) that I can take that won't bounce me off the ceiling all night. I guess I have a strange reaction to antihistamines, but until I discovered Benadryl, I just could not take them at night.
Well, funny thing. I always noticed when I gave my son benedryl as a little kid, he would get hyper, which was contrary to what was expected. Many years later, I gave my husband benedryl because he was having sleep problems, same effect.

Weird that unisom gives me less of a “hangover” effect than the benedryl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness