Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 07:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times

Advertisements

You've gotten a lot of great suggesting. I'm about your age. When I began having trouble sleeping I researched and then followed the recommendations. Meh...I guess it helped. I try not to fight it. I'm currently not working so sleeping in is glorious.
One thing that works for me, well you may have heard starting at the top and relaxing every muscle in your body. Eyes, mouth, neck, arms, fingers and on down. I use that theory but I start at the top of my brain. I try to feel that space and make it relax, emptying all the thinking out. Absolutely cannot go further until that happens. If I get down to my eyes and thoughts creep back in I have to start all over. After a few nights doing this it gets easier and I can get back to sleep quicker.
Reading helps me, too. Getting away from any screen time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 08:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 3,483,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You've gotten a lot of great suggesting. I'm about your age. When I began having trouble sleeping I researched and then followed the recommendations. Meh...I guess it helped. I try not to fight it. I'm currently not working so sleeping in is glorious.
One thing that works for me, well you may have heard starting at the top and relaxing every muscle in your body. Eyes, mouth, neck, arms, fingers and on down. I use that theory but I start at the top of my brain. I try to feel that space and make it relax, emptying all the thinking out. Absolutely cannot go further until that happens. If I get down to my eyes and thoughts creep back in I have to start all over. After a few nights doing this it gets easier and I can get back to sleep quicker.
Reading helps me, too. Getting away from any screen time.
That "relaxing" idea sounds like a good idea. The next time I have trouble sleeping, I think I'll give it a try... if I can think of it.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:52 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,778,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I haev a Magnesium supplement that contains the amino acid theanine, which is supposed to help sleep as well.
Theanine has also been studied to improve alertness and cognitive ability when mixed with small amounts of caffeine. Taking theanine at bedtime could actually make it more difficult to sleep if there is any caffeine left in the system from consuming it hours before.

My wife prefers gummies and tried a 3mg melatonin gummy, and she found it difficult to sleep. Oddly, she slept great taking one of my 3mg melatonin pills. Then I looked at the labels. The melatonin gummies also had theanine in them. She doesn't drink caffeine late in the day, but apparently it's late enough to interact with the theanine to make her alert at bed time.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:02 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,672,174 times
Thanks for that post. I think that's why the Magnesium supplement didn't work for me for sleep. I think the formula I have is more for athletes (magnesium for relaxing muscles, theanine for alertness). The Gummimi Hemp gummies I have really work fast, like within 5-10 mins. a few mins. ago I took 1 Midnite gummy and will see how that works. The Midnite instructions say no more than 2 gummies in a 24 hour period. I already feel a bit lightheaded and relaxed/ready for sleep.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:56 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,487,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
And......as 'new-agey' as it might sound, using a small bit of oil to massage the bottom of your feet before bed is very helpful, too. No special oil required and it doesn't have to be a long massage. 3-5 minutes will do. Put on some soft sox afterward.

All the other suggestions presented here are excellent.
Oooh...that sounds grrrrreat.
+

Old 07-10-2022, 04:27 PM

6,334 posts, read 4,050,972 times
What works best for me to quiet my mind is a little bit of THC oil on my tongue followed by a chewable 12mg of melatonin and I usually fall asleep quickly and get 7 hours of good sleep.

I’ve tried all different supplements and sleep aids and what I’ve mentioned above is what works best for me, as well as a consistent time when getting into bed.

Everyone’s body and mind are very different so you really need to experiment in order to determine what works best for you since we can’t revert back to our youth where sleep was never an issue!

Old 07-11-2022, 10:23 AM

23,783 posts, read 33,224,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I checked into "Midnite" and found that Amazon charges a lot more for it than Walmart. Usually their prices are fairly similar if not the same.

$18.95 for 45 gummies at Amazon
$9.95 for 36 gummies at Walmart

Thanks for the suggestion Roselvr. I need to try this. I have some Hemp gummies that worked for a couple days, then they didn't. Also, taking them within 3 hours of having to wake up produced a slight hangover (grogginess).

I occasionally use a small corner of a marijuana brownie for pain. The one I take works fast, as in minutes fast. It's very potent. I'm not the type that likes to be high so I have to be in a lot of pain to take it. Taking it upon going to bed works ok for sleep.

I take the one in the blue box that has tablets in it. I think it's about 30 tablets for about $8. Never tried the gummies, so I'm not sure how they work.

I recently got a medical pot card, I'm interested in how you do your brownies if you make it yourself. I don't want to get high off of it, just for pain, sleep would be a great benefit too. I haven't visited the store yet because I haven't been that interested in getting some if I'm going to be high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That is nothing more than melatonin. You can buy it most anywhere for far less than $8.

I have taken melatonin for years, along with my regular vitamins. I sleep really well, and generally get 8 hours, so I don't know whether or not it really does a lot for me but I figure it can't hurt.

Occasionally, if I am sleeping somewhere that I know I may get less sleep (at my BF's house for instance - his @#$% dog sleeps in the bedroom and I rarely make it through the night without her waking me up) I will take a diphenhydramine hcl (the drug in Benadryl - I just buy the generic as a sleep aid) and that will pretty much do it for the night. If I take it too late, it will make me a bit groggy in the morning so I really try to take it a couple of hours before bed.

I have taken Ambien a couple of times - my sister gave me a couple a few years ago - it knocks me out. I have a cousin that takes it every night, with his dr.'s blessing. So if you need it, I would think it is fine to take it.

Melatonin doesn't work for myself or my daughter any more but the midnite does work.

I've tried all different brands of melatonin, natures bounty 5mg eggs used to work best for us but stopped working. Our bodies have weird medication processing issues. Having it dissolve on the tongue seems to work the best.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:28 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,672,174 times
I use a pre-made brownie that we keep in the freezer (it was purchased). This one is very high potency so only a small bite works great, otherwise it's very stony which I don't like. One time I took a little too much and didn't have plans to drive, which was good.

This morning I woke up feeling pretty refreshed, I think the gummies are working. Maybe they have to build up in your bloodstream?

Old 07-13-2022, 05:22 AM

200 posts, read 106,482 times
I once took the amino acid l-arginine (1g three times a day). It made me very relaxed. I slept better during the day and at night. Try it. But I also became more sentimental. It probably relaxes the psyche completely.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:31 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,701,265 times
Melatonin or Benadryl before bed works for me. I read Benadryl is being used as an anti-anxiety medication in addition to treating allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness