Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 07:15 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

Many of you are equating meat eating with burgers (typically consumed with fries), fried chicken (typically consumed with mashed potatoes) and other fast foods. While it’s a convenient way to make vegetarianism look much better, it says nothing about meat itself.

Meat - red, pork, chicken and fish - alone provides all the nutrients and/or building blocks necessary for a healthy, thriving human. Water is the only other required input, though I eat eggs, cheese and use salt and butter as well.

Veganism requires supplementation, as even the OP reluctantly admitted, because it cannot provide all the human body needs to sustain life.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 07:17 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Traditional Chinese foods used animal protein as a condiment (along with plentiful vegetables and rice)--very sparingly, if at all. Meat was too pricey for their incomes.

The Chinese did not eat 1/2 pound steaks and buckets of fried chicken and cheese burgers.

Google "traditional Chinese cuisine" to see more...
Why do you keep bringing up fast food? lol...

Everything I have read indicates that Chinese have always had a meat-heavy diet, consisting of all sorts of things such as pork, chicken, duck, pheasant, dog, bears, tons of fish, etc. The wealthy had access to a wider variety, but the poor also ate lots of fish and pork.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:18 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Canine teeth? What "canine teeth"? You call those stubby little things "canine teeth"? Have you seen REAL canine teeth? Have you checked out a wolf or bear lately? Those are fully functional canine teeth! Ours are more of the vestigial type. Remember, homo sapiens' predecessors were vegetarian before they became carnivores or omnivores. They didn't need canine teeth.
The human race has existed for around 300,000 years. During this time, we have ALWAYS been omnivorous. There has never been a time when homo sapiens has been herbivorous or carnivorous.

And again - since it hasn't sunken in yet..

Vegetarian is a dietary CHOICE, not a biological affect. People who CHOOSE to not eat meat are either vegetarians or vegans. Animals that CANNOT efficiently digest meat and MUST get their primary nutrients from plant matter are herbivores. Animals that CANNOT efficiently digest plant-matter and MUST get their primary nutrients from flesh are carnivores.

Humans are neither carnivores nor herbivores. We are omnivores. We lack the short digestive track required for efficient processing of a meat-exclusive diet, and we lack the nutritional absorption abilities of an herbivore for efficient processing of a plant-exclusive diet. With the right supplements we can CHOOSE a plant-exclusive diet, but we have to supplement in order to do that. Why? Because we are not herbivores. We are omnivores.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:19 AM

1,136 posts, read 614,378 times
Quote:
If that were true, we wouldn't be dealing with Covid today. Covid arose from the demand in Chinese meat markets for wild animal meat (because it's cheap).

The Chinese have always eaten less expensive forms of animal protein; the type of food most Westerners won't eat. Various forms of offal. There's a Chinese restaurant in my town, that definitely is not for Westerners. The menu looks like it came from those rumored back rooms of Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, San Francisco, where the Chinese go for their traditional fare. Brains, intestines and various other internal parts of a variety of animals are served.
Lol, you really don't know any Chinese people do you?

Chinese traditionally eat much more vegetables and fruits and yes meat is more of a "garnish".

The vast majority of people in the mostly rural China were quite poor and developed a diet of mainly foods that they can grow on their farms.

Yes "bush meat" was traditional. But even then it was minor in volume compared to mostly rice and vegetables.

The Covid virus probably came from bats. There are many other places in the world where bats are eaten too. The problem is that bats are known for carrying a lot of viruses (they bodies can handle them will little ill effects).

And it's true that now the "affluent" Chineses populations is eating much more meat and junk food. It would be a very interesting study in how this affects the newer generation's health.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:35 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
If that were true, we wouldn't be dealing with Covid today. Covid arose from the demand in Chinese meat markets for wild animal meat (because it's cheap).

The Chinese have always eaten less expensive forms of animal protein; the type of food most Westerners won't eat. Various forms of offal. There's a Chinese restaurant in my town, that definitely is not for Westerners. The menu looks like it came from those rumored back rooms of Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, San Francisco, where the Chinese go for their traditional fare. Brains, intestines and various other internal parts of a variety of animals are served.
I worked with a Jain, who went on a tour of China with a larger group. The Jains brought their own cook with them, since their diets are restricted because of their beliefs (don't kill bugs, don't eat meat or root vegetables).

He said he got into a conversation with the tour guide about dogs and told them that in the USA, people keep them as pets, while the guide grinned and said, "We like them on the table" and then went on to say, "If it walks with its back to the sun, we will eat it."

My daughter first became a vegetarian when she spent a semester in Chengdu at Sichuan University. It was easy to eat rice and vegetables, and when she went out at night, everybody went to McDonald's after the clubs, and she would get French fries.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:05 AM

932 posts, read 543,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
https://www.forksoverknives.com/well...roteindangers/

1) Number one has to do with "Animal Protein And Fiber" (or total lack thereof)

2) Animal Protein and IGF-1 (Increased cancer risk)

3) Animal Protein and TMAO

4) Animal Protein and Phosphorous

5) Animal Protein, Heme Iron, And Free Radicals

6) Higher Sulfur-Containing Amino Acids And Bone Health Problems

7) Animal Protein And Cholesterol

My comment: I was a meat, dairy, and egg consumer for about 65 years. I tried different diets looking for the healthiest, even though I never needed to lose weight. I tried The Zone, Eat Right For Your Blood Type, and Paleo. Then I found the following books, "The China Study" (First & Second Edition) and became a vegan. Why? Because preventing cancer was number one on my list. But then I learned that a healthy vegan diet doesn't just help to prevent cancer, it also helps to prevent many other degenerative diseases of ageing.
Its all about moderation.
Being omnivore means that we can eat meat once a week.
But people eat lot more than that.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:22 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Soon, with the way the world population grow and climate change, soil depletion - we won’t have to worry which diet gives us cancer - we would be lucky to eat any natural food vs chemically ”raised” meat and other creations from the lab

Old 07-20-2022, 09:25 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Meat lovers will continue to eat their meat and manufactured convenience and snack foods. Drink their sodas. Eat their wings & French fries.

Of course this Standard American diet hasn't proved too healthy for us. Hence the obesity epidemic, heart disease, increased cancer, high cholesterol, high blood pressure.

Health lovers will curtail or limit their animal consumption. Or not. Some will opt for surgeries and medications.

Is the Whole Food, Plant-based diet the way to go? Read the studies, the results and make your own decision.

I've made mine. Best of luck with yours.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:32 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Meat lovers will continue to eat their meat and manufactured convenience and snack foods. Drink their sodas. Eat their wings & French fries.

Of course this Standard American diet hasn't proved too healthy for us. Hence the obesity epidemic, heart disease, increased cancer, high cholesterol, high blood pressure.

Health lovers will curtail or limit their animal consumption. Or not. Some will opt for surgeries and medications.

Is the Whole Food, Plant-based diet the way to go? Read the studies, the results and make your own decision.

I've made mine. Best of luck with yours.
LOL... Why are you correlating eating meat with french fries (VEGETARIAN FOOD), sodas, and manufactured snack foods (also eaten by vegetarians/vegans?)

Old 07-20-2022, 09:45 AM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Many of you are equating meat eating with burgers (typically consumed with fries), fried chicken (typically consumed with mashed potatoes) and other fast foods. While it’s a convenient way to make vegetarianism look much better, it says nothing about meat itself.
Right, It's a distraction. If you really want to know "about meat itself" or animal protein in general, try reading, "The China Study"

Quote:
Meat - red, pork, chicken and fish - alone provides all the nutrients and/or building blocks necessary for a healthy, thriving human. Water is the only other required input, though I eat eggs, cheese and use salt and butter as well.
The average person in the U.S. eats pretty much the way you have just described. Also, the average person is overweight and the average person takes one or more medications per day. Even some overweight teenagers are taking medications. High blood pressure pills, high cholesterol pills and others. And by age 75 the average person takes 3 or more medications per day, and 5 or more is not uncommon.

Quote:
Veganism requires supplementation, as even the OP reluctantly admitted, because it cannot provide all the human body needs to sustain life.
As a vegan, I'd rather have to take a B12 supplement once a day than end up like "the average person" as described above.

https://hpi.georgetown.edu/rxdrugs/

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-20-2022 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness