Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2022, 09:50 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Robinwomb, I suggest you work with your doctors/nutritionists/counselors on an eating plan.
Thank you, I appreciate your concern, kind tone, and for not tearing me down. I am under a lot of stress right now and confused about a lot of things. Unfortunately, an increasing number of medical professionals are pushing a plant based diet. I've had at least one nurse and two doctors try to convince me to cut out dairy and severely limit eggs, that it's bad for your health (in general, not for me specially), KNOWING my eating disorder history.

Also, health insurance is notorious for denying coverage for a dietitian or eating disorder treatment. The last time I went through treatment I walked away from it far too soon due to insurance denials and racking up $9000 in out of pocket costs. I am currently seeing a therapist but not specifically for eating disorder.

It just seems that more and more medical professionals are pushing either extreme, Keto or vegan. I AM concerned about my LDL increasing but no one else seems to think it's a big deal because it's still in healthy range and better than they see with most people. I guess I will spend more time exploring my true motives for wanting to go back to being full out vegan. I feel the medical establishment is not as objective as it used to be, that even there everyone has their agenda and opinions about what is healthiest, regardless of the patient. Frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 09:58 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
Thank you, I appreciate your concern, kind tone, and for not tearing me down. I am under a lot of stress right now and confused about a lot of things. Unfortunately, an increasing number of medical professionals are pushing a plant based diet. I've had at least one nurse and two doctors try to convince me to cut out dairy and severely limit eggs, that it's bad for your health (in general, not for me specially), KNOWING my eating disorder history.

Also, health insurance is notorious for denying coverage for a dietitian or eating disorder treatment. The last time I went through treatment I walked away from it far too soon due to insurance denials and racking up $9000 in out of pocket costs. I am currently seeing a therapist but not specifically for eating disorder.

It just seems that more and more medical professionals are pushing either extreme, Keto or vegan. I AM concerned about my LDL increasing but no one else seems to think it's a big deal because it's still in healthy range and better than they see with most people. I guess I will spend more time exploring my true motives for wanting to go back to being full out vegan. I feel the medical establishment is not as objective as it used to be, that even there everyone has their agenda and opinions about what is healthiest, regardless of the patient. Frustrating.
Your numbers are FINE. There's nothing wrong with them, as they are presently according to your report. They're all totally normal.

You seem to be trying to justify giving in to your illness. Your illness is trying to order you to get that LDL as close to 0 as possible. Your illness is lying to you. The illness of anorexia nervosa isn't an "eating" disorder. It's a mental disorder that manifests by convincing you that you need to eat - or not eat - in an unnatural, inhumane way. Changing your diet isn't a treatment for anorexia. It is actually a tool that the illness uses to trick you into a slow, agonizing death by organ failure.

If your levels are healthy, then they're healthy. You provided the numbers. They are healthy numbers.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:29 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I am very sorry about your ill-health and your wife's.

Would you say your love of meat and finding "life not worth living without it" as an addiction?

When I used to smoke I felt that way about cigarettes. It took me several attempts before I was successful in quitting (26 years ago) so I understand about addiction.

Wishing you great good luck.
Diet is as much enjoyment as it is sustenance. That doesn't translate into an addiction.

A truly healthy diet, in my opinion, involves the inclusion of a variety of foods.

I also find life not worth living if I couldn't enjoy foods that I love (or reasonable substitutions).

Old 07-21-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post

Not meaning to be rude, so please forgive me. But I am glad that you are seeing a mental health professional. I say this as the parent of someone who is suffering from mental illness. I think that the mental needs to be addressed foremost.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:08 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Diet is as much enjoyment as it is sustenance. That doesn't translate into an addiction.

A truly healthy diet, in my opinion, involves the inclusion of a variety of foods.

I also find life not worth living if I couldn't enjoy foods that I love (or reasonable substitutions).
I was rather hoping the original poster would comment. But welcome your take on the matter, too.

My question was if something is harming you and you cannot quit--food--or otherwise, is it an addiction?

I mean someone might really enjoy shooting heroin, so if they really enjoy it and don't want to quit, is it from the enjoyment (the high)--or is it an addiction?

Trying to wrap my mind around this food thing. There are some foods I dearly love, but....

I mean, I dearly love chocolate and usually have a small square of it daily--but if it caused an illness I could quit in a heartbeat--though I'd very much miss it.

Not saying I'm better than anyone else, just trying to understand.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:45 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I don't think any can say definitively "if you eat a chicken breast, you are doing damage to your body". Heroin, yes.

Little Dolphin and I have similar eating outlooks IIRC, though I'm a bit looser with meat. I had bacon once in the last year and that was like 3 pieces during camping, and I do not feel the least bit bad.

The OP had asked if I had tried vegan and I said "no", but thinking back to when I aggressively tried juicing, that was probably all but vegan for 2 months, and no change (at that point the downward progression continued with no abatement).

I think BECAUSE I have tried so many very restrictive diets, and found no quantifiable benefit, I am more of generalist now with diet. I still eat probably 70% fruits, veggies, grains and legumes, and little to no processed food.

I am happy at that place, I can still enjoy food, not have every social occasion be an "issue", and maintain my health.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-21-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I was rather hoping the original poster would comment. But welcome your take on the matter, too.

My question was if something is harming you and you cannot quit--food--or otherwise, is it an addiction?

I mean someone might really enjoy shooting heroin, so if they really enjoy it and don't want to quit, is it from the enjoyment (the high)--or is it an addiction?

Trying to wrap my mind around this food thing. There are some foods I dearly love, but....

I mean, I dearly love chocolate and usually have a small square of it daily--but if it caused an illness I could quit in a heartbeat--though I'd very much miss it.

Not saying I'm better than anyone else, just trying to understand.
I totally get about trying to wrap your head around food. The plethora of 'studies' and diets and stuff is enough to make a person's head explode.

I had gestational diabetes. I was told either to curtail my carb intake or my baby would suffer. And yes, as hard as it was, I did lower my carb intake. HOWEVER, though, I made reasonable substitutions so that I was still getting my daily ice cream. I'd just balance it with a protein, adjust throughout the day, etc.

Taking an austere approach would only sabotage my efforts and I'd quit. My balanced approach resulted in a healthy baby girl.

We all know ourselves. Not wanting to quit doesn't mean that one CANNOT quit. The poster made the conscious choice not to deny himself the pleasure of eating meat. Food gives us pleasure and there's nothing wrong with that.

Actually, it's simple (but maybe hard in practice). Eat what you love, but eat it in moderation. Moderation varies individually. But doing the proverbial inner struggle when it comes to food only makes things worse in my opinion and if that you're healthy physically you won't be healthy mentally.

Why do you think so many dieters end up failing at some point down the road.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:56 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Low cholesterol is a marker for mortality in the elderly:

https://agsjournals.onlinelibrary.wi...5.2005.53106.x

(Full text available from that link)

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-21-2022, 01:59 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have to wonder how carefully all other factors are equalized in these studies. i.e. Things like equal percentage of smokers vs. non-smokers, equal percentage of those who get regular exercise vs. those who don't, etc., etc., etc. ...........................?
When they advertise that they are looking for people to join the study, they might just say in the ad that they are looking for non-smokers. I think that would be an easy thing to do. As far as exercise etc. I believe they would ask in depth questions about all aspects of a person's lifestyle.

A few years ago I replied to an ad in the newspaper because they were looking for study participants in central Florida. I qualified because I don't take any prescription drugs and I'm in good health. They let that be known upfront in the ad. Then when I went to their office they had a staff of workers and many computers that were programmed to ask lots of questions. I was amazed at all the questions. They want to know everything. Not only that but I had to sign papers giving them permission to access my medical records. They will not just accept your word that you don't take drugs and are healthy. When they get your medical records, they will know for sure what your health status is.

By the way, the Loma Linda University might not have done the study themselves. I don't know if they did or not but there are companies that go around doing studies for others.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:10 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
[QUOTE Why do you think so many dieters end up failing at some point down the road.[/quote]

Wow, if we knew the answer to that, we'd be billionaires!

Once I was doing PR for a physician-managed weight loss program for the morbidly obese. It was instructive learning about the program. There were three main components--psychological, physical, and spiritual. Plus the nutrition, of course.

The first step for a new member was to bring a full front and back photo of themselves in their underwear. The reason was that some didn't really know how heavy they looked--they never really viewed themselves--and some avoided the scale altogether.

Then the psychological part often revealed a background of abuse--physical, mental or sexual. The added weight was protection & self-comfort. A psychologist was part of the staff.

There might have been spiritual support like AA, calling on a higher power...I don't recall exactly.

The nutritional cravings were identified and analyzed and a custom diet plan was designed for each member.

Until these aspects were addressed, the doctors told me dieting success was doomed to failure--the emotional component had to faced and understood.

This all made a lot of sense to me. My smoking had a lot of emotional connections for me. When I quit, it was losing a close friend--albeit a close friend who was trying to kill me. lol. Nevertheless, I went through a depression without my buddy, the cigarette. It made me face some past demons to get t the other side.

Humans are complicated, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness