Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 02:48 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times

Advertisements

I am less concerned with how long I live than with the daily enjoyment of my life. I spend very little time thinking about how proteins are broken down and what the hell is in that meatloaf.

I salivate at the thought of a filet mignon, with a crust made by searing the meat on a wonderfully hot grill. Or a juicy pastrami sandwich with just the right amount of fat, nestled between two slices of real rye bread. Ummm.

Rather I eat what I enjoy and am very satisfied with my choices. If I had to give up the foods I enjoy in order to live another 5 or 10 years - ain't happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 02:49 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Dang those canine teeth! If only we weren't born with canine teeth. We are natural omnivores after all,
so what the heck are we doing with canine teeth?
Gorillas have some scary-looking canine teeth:
www.storytrender.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2_CATERS_SMILING_KIONDO_03-1024x829.jpg

Yet they don't eat flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We are a species that is VERY adaptable to eating all different types of foods is what we are.
Look at our brothers and sisters up in the Arctic Circle. Eat mostly birds and seals and fish,
all protein and fat. Never had to stare down a piece of broccoli in their lives.
Yes, that's true -- there are parts of this world which humans could not have inhabited
w/o consuming animals: the Arctic, the Great Plains, etc. The people who settled those regions
had no choice about what to eat. But in the modern US, we have countless choices.
So the question is, what diet is best for us? (especiallly when we're not as physically active
as the people who live off the land).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Pressured you to go vegan?

Does that happen to you often? Are you approached by people who put a gun to your head
or twist your arm behind your back?

I'm curious: Who are these "someones" who pressure you to go vegan and what are their methods?
They say, "if you don't go vegan, we'll tell your friends that you hate animals!"

Old 07-15-2022, 03:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
www.storytrender.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2_CATERS_SMILING_KIONDO_03-1024x829.jpg

A good example of a body structure that has probably served multiple purposes over time. If the structure really no longer had a function or provided an advantage, chances are it disappeared. Sure, maybe at one time during the gorilla's evolution (not to mention baboons, other primates, and herbivores like hippos) they used those canines to hang on to struggling prey or to inflict damage on some other animal, but don't forget...just the sight of them leaves a serious impression: "I'm bigger and fitter than you are...if you try messing with me, you're going to suffer for it!!" Gorillas and other animals don't yawn just because they're sleepy, they yawn to display their teeth.

In evolutionary terms, the amount of time humans have had access to the widely diverse diet we do now is a blink of an eye. Canine teeth are going to persist for a while longer unless individuals who have more noticeable ones become disadvantaged or rejected as potential mates for some weird reason. But even evolution doesn't hold true nearly as often for humans anymore. We have in place too many protective countermeasures that allow survival and reproduction of less fit individuals.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-15-2022 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-15-2022, 03:57 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
The problem isn't the beef, and all of the things the op laid out.

The problem is the amount of beef vs other foods

Beef (esp cow meat) is high in saturated fat, acidic forming (that doesn't mean it's bad), does not have any fiber, and does not have other nutrients your body needs.

The op's art says it well:

Many people, in their effort to “get enough” protein, tend to eat large amounts of animal foods, which displaces plant foods that have these important nutrients.

The remedy here is actually pretty easy: don't allow the beef to displace plant foods. Eat smaller amounts of beef, and larger amounts of vegetables. Instead of a 16oz ribeye, with mashed potatoes on the side (improper food combining - this makes the "beef issue" worse than it needs to be) and a small plate of iceberg lettuce and tomato, eat a 6oz piece of beef, with a large portion of broccoli, or asparagus. Or a large salad with spinach, red leaf lettuce, kale, dand. greens, red cabbage and sprouts. Now you have: 1) all the protein you need in one sitting (and for the average person, almost all the protein you need in one day), 2) a smaller amount of saturated fat, 3) proper food combining, and 4) proper balance between acid and alkaline.

People are in fact under the impression that you need to take in large quantities of beef on a daily basis - this is wrong. A small piece, 3-4 times per week, with eggs, salmon and cod as alternate proteins, is plenty.

Cheers.
Agree. Just about everything a person consumes can end up being bad for them under the right circumstances. Even something as innocuous as water. Too much water = drowning. Personally, I get heartily sick and tired of people who preach endlessly that this or that particular food is bad or good. Living a life, especially a longer one, is more complex than that. No action you take, nothing you ingest exists in isolation.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-15-2022 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-15-2022, 04:35 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I have been eating a mostly plant based diet for about 5 years now, and I have to say thee are some days that I definitely feel that I am eating way too much fiber. I honestly jus don't know what to eat at this point since ethically I cannot go back to eating meat.
Ethically - wait til you learn how many animals were slaughtered in the process of harvesting your plant-based diet. All those rabbits, squirrels, chipmonks, other garden-dwellers and farm animals that get stuck in the combines.

If you REALLY want to go the "ethical" route - you'll respect the food chain. Hunt for your dinner. Grow your own vegetables and fruits. Pick them by hand, not by machine. Avoid plastics. Re-use, recycle, have a compost heap, and a compost toilet. And a water-barrel/cistern system to provide your house with fresh rainwater instead of causing the death of millions of fish and other animal life every day in the public reservoirs and water treatment plants. Have a rain-based irrigation system for your garden.

If you're not going that route - then your "ethics" are not really ethics. They're just a platform you've chosen to stand on, that has no base.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:43 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

Yes, that's true -- there are parts of this world which humans could not have inhabited
w/o consuming animals: the Arctic, the Great Plains, etc. The people who settled those regions
had no choice about what to eat. But in the modern US, we have countless choices.
So the question is, what diet is best for us? (especiallly when we're not as physically active
as the people who live off the land).

They say, "if you don't go vegan, we'll tell your friends that you hate animals!"
Most Gorillas eat mostly shoots, leaves, fruits, and other plant matter. But Lowland Gorillas also like termites, especially termite larvae - which is most decidedly animal. The Silverback Gorilla is mostly vegetarian, but also eats meat in the form of small mammals and birds.

Humans are omnivorous. Vegetarianism and Veganism is a food choice and/or a lifestyle choice, not a biological or anatomical necessity for the human species.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:02 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+...+meat+eaters%3

Many large population studies have found that vegetarians and vegans live longer than meat eaters: According to the Loma Linda University study, vegetarians live about 7 years longer and vegans about 15 years longer than meat eaters.

My mom, who has eaten meat all her life, is 80 and still doing well. Are you saying she might live to be over 115 if only she hadn't eaten meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I am less concerned with how long I live than with the daily enjoyment of my life. I spend very little time thinking about how proteins are broken down and what the hell is in that meatloaf.

I salivate at the thought of a filet mignon, with a crust made by searing the meat on a wonderfully hot grill. Or a juicy pastrami sandwich with just the right amount of fat, nestled between two slices of real rye bread. Ummm.

Rather I eat what I enjoy and am very satisfied with my choices. If I had to give up the foods I enjoy in order to live another 5 or 10 years - ain't happening.

This^^

I'm not looking to live as long as possible. We all die in the end. I'm looking to enjoy life as much as possible while I'm here.

Too much of anything isn't good for you, including meat. But meat is simply delicious and is a part of my diet every day. To me, it is a part of living well and a satisfying life.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:40 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+...+meat+eaters%3

Many large population studies have found that vegetarians and vegans live longer than meat eaters: According to the Loma Linda University study, vegetarians live about 7 years longer and vegans about 15 years longer than meat eaters.
Don't the Japanese live longer than everyone else? I am pretty sure they consume meat.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, every time someone pressures us to go vegan, I think of the Inuits traditional diet. No veggies for them, lol.
And the Masai in Africa. Meat, milk and blood.

Both very healthy and fit.
There is a difference between how we eat vs how the Inuits or Masai eat.

The traditional societies eat the whole animal, including organs. We tend to forego the organs because of the taste, and eat only muscle meat.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Written awhile ago but still relevant:

Quote:
And yet despite the fact that the high-fat Arctic diet may sound like a heart attack waiting to happen, the Inuit tend to have low rates of heart disease and diabetes.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-be-good-genes

The relatively low life expectancy of Inuits has little to do with diet.

By the way, much of the planet's population doesn't really have the privilege of making a healthy diet a priority — I suppose it's easy to wag fingers at others when you're sitting within a stone's throw from some trendy little "natural food co op."

There are also plenty of people even in the modern U.S. who still consume a traditional diet — and not necessarily from lack of proximity to a supermarket, although that's often the case as well.

There's been more than one summer when I've eaten little else but salmon, berries, beach greens, and whatever is in the garden. No real time or desire for standing in line at the local grocery store.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-15-2022 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness