U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2022, 09:38 AM
 
744 posts, read 365,455 times
Reputation: 986

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Maybe not broccoli but they certainly consumed many other plants! Fireweed and other summer greens, seeds, berries, tubers, roots, lichens, moss, fungi. I have a "traditional" cookbook compilation of Inuit and Athabascan recipes. Half of the book covers plant foods. Let me tell you about freshly gathered fireweed greens mixed with seal oil, sewn into a seal stomach. The vegetation retains much of its nutritional value for months. What about consuming the stomach contents of large herbivorous mammals? They did that too.
Wow, this is very interesting!! Thank you for this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2022, 09:38 AM
 
Location: USA
6,492 posts, read 3,263,770 times
Reputation: 19924
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+...+meat+eaters%3

Many large population studies have found that vegetarians and vegans live longer than meat eaters: According to the Loma Linda University study, vegetarians live about 7 years longer and vegans about 15 years longer than meat eaters.


A plant based diet was only one part of the results from that study. The study concluded that a plant based diet, combined with eating nuts, being active, not smoking, and being ideal weight all combined added years to a person's life. While this is an interesting report, these were not random people selected for the study. There were many other factors that influenced and impacted longevity. Maybe having a strong religious belief added to their lifespan?

"For 14 years, Loma Linda researchers tracked the diets, lifestyle and diseases among 34,000 Seventh-day Adventists. This Christian religion encourages a vegetarian diet and abstaining from alcohol and smoking. Adventists are ideal participants for large population studies, because most don’t smoke or drink. This makes it easier to see how their other lifestyle choices, particularly dietary choices, impact their health and longevity.

The study found that there were 5 key habits that could add years to your life. They were:
  1. Eating a plant-based diet,
  2. Eating a handful of nuts regularly (around five times a week),
  3. Being active,
  4. Not smoking, and
  5. Being a healthy weight.
The research found on average these lifestyle factors could each provide an extra 2–3 years to your life and what’s better is they add up — so if you follow them all you could enjoy an extra decade."


https://www.sanitarium.com.au/health...20on%20average.


Don't confuse causal with correlation.

"So it goes with vegetarianism and longevity. It’s absolutely true that vegetarians live longer (at least among Seventh Day Adventists, the target group of the study). In fact, in this study, vegetarians live six to nine years longer, which is a huge effect. But vegetarians are also more likely to exercise, be married, smoke less and drink less alcohol—all factors that also contribute to a longer life. The actual causal relationship between becoming vegetarian and living longer is unclear, and is certainly smaller than the correlation might seem to suggest."

https://qz.com/91123/vegetarians-liv...dont-eat-meat/


And not all vegan diets are nutritious and life-extending

"Vegan diets tend to be rich in nutrients that may protect against illnesses and boost your lifespan. Many people who follow this eating pattern also make lifestyle choices, such as exercising regularly and avoiding processed foods, that may aid longevity. A healthy vegan diet is typically defined as one that’s rich in minimally processed plant foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, with very few processed junk foods.

Meanwhile, a poorly planned vegan diet may rely heavily on sweets, processed items, and other foods that are technically vegan but very poor in nutrients.

For instance, one study claims that plant-based diets as a whole may lower your risk of dying from heart disease by 8%. However, nutritious plant-based diets lower this risk by 25% — while unhealthy ones increase it by 32%.

This may explain why a recent review found that while vegetarians are more likely to live longer than the general population, their life expectancy is no higher than that of similarly health-conscious meat eaters."


https://www.ecowatch.com/vegan-diet-...645964913.html

Exchanging kale for hamburger is only one part of a plan to extend one's lifespan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 09:40 AM
 
10,465 posts, read 14,497,230 times
Reputation: 27155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
He enjoyed his 100 years with smoking. I'm sure that throughout his life, his doctors kept telling him to stop smoking. "It would be better for his health."

I can only imagine the exact words he used in responding to all those well-meaning, but clueless people.

Well, I say those same words now to the people who insist on telling me that I'm living my life the wrong way. I should do this, and I shouldn't do that.

"Should" is not a word to use to adults. I find people who proselytize about religion, eating habits, or lifestyles are very tedious.

Now- if I could only get really good pastrami here in the Gulf coast of Florida.

I wasn't suggesting that George Burns should have given up smoking; I was merely using the fact that he lived to be 100 while doing so every day as what I thought was an obvious rebuttal to the poster who used their mother's meat-eating lifestyle as "evidence" that eating meat is healthy.

And for the record, I've never proselytized about veganism or even suggested to others that they should give up eating meat. In fact, I despise the vegans who do so. Not to mention the people who do so about religion and try to get me to pray to an invisible man in the sky, or go on and on about how "Lucifer" was involved in the creation of the Covid vaccine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 09:45 AM
 
1,227 posts, read 703,548 times
Reputation: 5474
I'm quite healthy and in good shape with my pescatarian way of eating and when I consider the appearance of the average American I'm not inclined to want to listen to anything others have to say in regard to food consumption.

Not in favor of the whole "body proud" movement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 09:47 AM
 
762 posts, read 274,959 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
He enjoyed his 100 years with smoking. I'm sure that throughout his life, his doctors kept telling him to stop smoking. "It would be better for his health."

I can only imagine the exact words he used in responding to all those well-meaning, but clueless people.

Well, I say those same words now to the people who insist on telling me that I'm living my life the wrong way. I should do this, and I shouldn't do that.

"Should" is not a word to use to adults. I find people who proselytize about religion, eating habits, or lifestyles are very tedious.

Now- if I could only get really good pastrami here in the Gulf coast of Florida.
Some people don't seem to understand how science works. If someone smokes a cigar, it doesn't mean they will be certain to shorten their lifespan. It's not about certainty, it's about risk.

It's like driving a car and always going twice the speed limit. It's not certain to end your life prematurely, it raises your risk.

Here's another example, George Burns smoked cigars and lived to 100 but another famous person, Rush Limbaugh, smoked cigars and died from lung cancer at age 70.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 09:52 AM
 
8,575 posts, read 3,608,789 times
Reputation: 6270
It is easy to say modern day vegans and vegetarians are so healthy,dont forget their parents and grandparents eat animal protein,dairy products and produce healthy offsprings,also some vegans and vegetarians may not be such all their life,in their younger days they could be consuming meat and dairy.
In my younger days,I have seen plenty of malnutrition folks whose diet lack animal protein,iron,calcium,potassium,they often lack muscle tones,they are anemic and lack stamina to do physical work.
And they dont mind eating chicken,pork,beef,fish,eggs and milk if they can afford it.
It is easy for us to sit in front of a keyboard and denouce animal protein as we have had our fair share in our younger days,as we age,we have less digestive enzymes to digest certain food and our teeth are not as strong and as we become less physical,we dont need to eat as much,so veggies sounds good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 09:55 AM
 
8,575 posts, read 3,608,789 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Some people don't seem to understand how science works. If someone smokes a cigar, it doesn't mean they will be certain to shorten their lifespan. It's not about certainty, it's about risk.

It's like driving a car and always going twice the speed limit. It's not certain to end your life prematurely, it raises your risk.

Here's another example, George Burns smoked cigars and lived to 100 but another famous person, Rush Limbaugh, smoked cigars and died from lung cancer at age 70.
some have lung cancer and they do not smoke,so is this second hand smoke?
I just use Irobot floor sweeper to sweep up all kinds of dirt and dust,and then use a wet mop to clean the floor,it is so filthy,so how much goes into our lungs ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 10:20 AM
 
762 posts, read 274,959 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
A plant based diet was only one part of the results from that study. The study concluded that a plant based diet, combined with eating nuts, being active, not smoking, and being ideal weight all combined added years to a person's life. While this is an interesting report, these were not random people selected for the study. There were many other factors that influenced and impacted longevity. Maybe having a strong religious belief added to their lifespan?

"For 14 years, Loma Linda researchers tracked the diets, lifestyle and diseases among 34,000 Seventh-day Adventists. This Christian religion encourages a vegetarian diet and abstaining from alcohol and smoking. Adventists are ideal participants for large population studies, because most don’t smoke or drink. This makes it easier to see how their other lifestyle choices, particularly dietary choices, impact their health and longevity.

The study found that there were 5 key habits that could add years to your life. They were:
  1. Eating a plant-based diet,
  2. Eating a handful of nuts regularly (around five times a week),
  3. Being active,
  4. Not smoking, and
  5. Being a healthy weight.
The research found on average these lifestyle factors could each provide an extra 2–3 years to your life and what’s better is they add up — so if you follow them all you could enjoy an extra decade."


https://www.sanitarium.com.au/health...20on%20average.


Don't confuse causal with correlation.

"So it goes with vegetarianism and longevity. It’s absolutely true that vegetarians live longer (at least among Seventh Day Adventists, the target group of the study). In fact, in this study, vegetarians live six to nine years longer, which is a huge effect. But vegetarians are also more likely to exercise, be married, smoke less and drink less alcohol—all factors that also contribute to a longer life. The actual causal relationship between becoming vegetarian and living longer is unclear, and is certainly smaller than the correlation might seem to suggest."

https://qz.com/91123/vegetarians-liv...dont-eat-meat/


And not all vegan diets are nutritious and life-extending

"Vegan diets tend to be rich in nutrients that may protect against illnesses and boost your lifespan. Many people who follow this eating pattern also make lifestyle choices, such as exercising regularly and avoiding processed foods, that may aid longevity. A healthy vegan diet is typically defined as one that’s rich in minimally processed plant foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, with very few processed junk foods.

Meanwhile, a poorly planned vegan diet may rely heavily on sweets, processed items, and other foods that are technically vegan but very poor in nutrients.

For instance, one study claims that plant-based diets as a whole may lower your risk of dying from heart disease by 8%. However, nutritious plant-based diets lower this risk by 25% — while unhealthy ones increase it by 32%.

This may explain why a recent review found that while vegetarians are more likely to live longer than the general population, their life expectancy is no higher than that of similarly health-conscious meat eaters."


https://www.ecowatch.com/vegan-diet-...645964913.html

Exchanging kale for hamburger is only one part of a plan to extend one's lifespan.
I was not at all offended by your post because I realize that you don't know very much about me.

I'm very conscientious about my whole lifestyle, not just the eating part. This thread was about animal protein, and not meant to encompass every important lifestyle aspect.

But since you brought it up:

1) My diet consists of a "whole-foods-plant based" diet, and is very nutritious.

2) I eat a small measured amount of nuts everyday - a good variety

3) I'm active. I get both daily aerobic exercise and I workout with weights.

4) I don't smoke or drink

5) I'm a healthy weight (BMI 19)

6) Your list forgot to include stress control. I seldom have any reason to be stressed but still I meditate every day, which I enjoy.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 10:36 AM
 
762 posts, read 274,959 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
some have lung cancer and they do not smoke,so is this second hand smoke?
I just use Irobot floor sweeper to sweep up all kinds of dirt and dust,and then use a wet mop to clean the floor,it is so filthy,so how much goes into our lungs ?
Lung cancer can be caused by a combination of many things. I've been exposed to smoke, dust, paint spray, asbestos, and toxic fumes from chemicals. So, I should be dead by now at age 81.

But I changed my life quite a bit when I got older. And this whole-foods-plant-based diet is supposed to counteract many of those previous exposures. Studies that have been done by doctor Campbell seem to indicate that it's possible. You could see evidence of that in his first book, "The China Study". His second book is also very good, it's an expanded edition of the first book "The China Study - Revised Edition."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2022, 11:17 AM
 
Location: The Bubble, Florida
2,116 posts, read 1,066,741 times
Reputation: 6169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
and those animals that are killed by combines harvesting plants for a plant based diet, are also killed in hayfields by combines. that hay then feeds livestock and guess where the livestock goes- into your meat based diet. So lets not criticize ethics. You are doing the same thing.
I'm not the one claiming to eat a certain way because of my ethics. I have no ethical attachment to my food. I'll eat bambi if it's cooked right, and I'll eat sauteed veggies on the side, with beef-stock-based French onion soup, and not lose a moment's sleep over it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top