Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 08:58 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times

Advertisements

https://www.forksoverknives.com/well...roteindangers/

1) Number one has to do with "Animal Protein And Fiber" (or total lack thereof)

2) Animal Protein and IGF-1 (Increased cancer risk)

3) Animal Protein and TMAO

4) Animal Protein and Phosphorous

5) Animal Protein, Heme Iron, And Free Radicals

6) Higher Sulfur-Containing Amino Acids And Bone Health Problems

7) Animal Protein And Cholesterol

My comment: I was a meat, dairy, and egg consumer for about 65 years. I tried different diets looking for the healthiest, even though I never needed to lose weight. I tried The Zone, Eat Right For Your Blood Type, and Paleo. Then I found the following books, "The China Study" (First & Second Edition) and became a vegan. Why? Because preventing cancer was number one on my list. But then I learned that a healthy vegan diet doesn't just help to prevent cancer, it also helps to prevent many other degenerative diseases of ageing.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-15-2022 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 09:00 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Dang those canine teeth! If only we weren't born with canine teeth. We are natural omnivores after all, so what the heck are we doing with canine teeth?

Old 07-15-2022, 09:07 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Dang those canine teeth! If only we weren't born with canine teeth. We are natural omnivores after all, so what the heck are we doing with canine teeth?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+...+meat+eaters%3

Many large population studies have found that vegetarians and vegans live longer than meat eaters: According to the Loma Linda University study, vegetarians live about 7 years longer and vegans about 15 years longer than meat eaters.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-15-2022 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-15-2022, 09:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
We are a species that is VERY adaptable to eating all different types of foods is what we are.

Look at our brothers and sisters up in the Arctic Circle. Eat mostly birds and seals and fish, all protein and fat. Never had to stare down a piece of broccoli in their lives.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:06 AM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times
I've been always curious in the "best" diet for us humans. I've watched countless documentaries on both sides of the vegetarian fence. Both have very valid and interesting points.

I definitely agree that it makes sense that most of us eat too much meat. Esp red meat.

Though some documentaries I've watched argued that it was high calorie meat that allowed for us to evolve such big brains. They are calorie intensive organs that needed high calorie foods involving meat / fat. Plus cooking of the meat allowed us to absorb (digest) the nutrients faster.

I personally know a family of vegetarians, a friend's daughter is a vegan and I knew a girl who was a Pescatarian. I respect all their choices and yes they are all healthy and strong even though they don't eat meat.

If you look at some of the healthiest people on the planet (live to old age), a lot of them eat mainly vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains and seafood.

The main problem with us in N America is that a lot of us has normalized highly processed foods as part of everyday life. And of course eating way too much volume. Bigger is better concept.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:16 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I was a vegetarian for a couple of years. Added back fish, then meat, but still have lots of meatless days and my food choices grew exponentially because of the vegetarian years. There are lots of good vegan/plant-based choices out there.

For those who want to improve their health by cutting down on animal products, you don't have to be an extremist. Start by having meatless meals or meatless days. Unless you're one of those Arctic people, you probably already consume tons of plant-based foods. We're just conditioned to think that a hunk of dead animal must always be the center of the meal, and that way of thinking can be changed. Let the meat be the appetizer or a side dish.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:18 AM

314 posts, read 195,676 times
Love me some fruit, nuts, and veggies, always had my own garden, even went vegetarian for a year in my youth. I've cut way down on my meat consumption but have zero interest in denying myself the pleasure of a small amount of animal protein when the desire hits... balances out the flavors and textures for a nice variety on the plate.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:20 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=Who+...+meat+eaters%3

Many large population studies have found that vegetarians and vegans live longer than meat eaters: According to the Loma Linda University study, vegetarians live about 7 years longer and vegans about 15 years longer than meat eaters.
Yeah, I am not buying that propaganda.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:08 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We are a species that is VERY adaptable to eating all different types of foods is what we are.

Look at our brothers and sisters up in the Arctic Circle. Eat mostly birds and seals and fish, all protein and fat. Never had to stare down a piece of broccoli in their lives.
I think we're omnivores.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Yes, every time someone pressures us to go vegan, I think of the Inuits traditional diet. No veggies for them, lol.
And the Masai in Africa. Meat, milk and blood.

Both very healthy and fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness