U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 12:37 PM

4,756 posts, read 2,402,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've been wearing my diamond studs for years. I change them out once in a while for some hoops that I've also had for years. All of a sudden, I'm getting infections in my left earlobe (piercing hole) now with any of the earrings. I've had to stop wearing them all together. Absolutely nothing has changed. Any idea of what is causing this? TIA

Like me, you are allergic to nickel which is found in most earrings even expensive ones.

Your earrings are likely gold plated and the gold has worn down in some spots exposing the base metal which is nickel.

Did you replace the original post holders (backs) recently? The metal from the replacements is irritating your skin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 01:14 PM

20,483 posts, read 26,111,513 times
The main earrings are not gold plated. They are white gold. I have not done anything to any of the earrings. It just all started with the studs one day, so I stopped wearing them for about two weeks. I put the white gold hoops in and later that day started to get that annoying pain.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:49 PM

18,285 posts, read 11,894,488 times
Quote:
The main earrings are not gold plated. They are white gold. I have not done anything to any of the earrings. It just all started with the studs one day, so I stopped wearing them for about two weeks. I put the white gold hoops in and later that day started to get that annoying pain.
Unfortunately, once your body has "decided" it will no longer tolerate something, the sensitivity can continue for a very long time if not permanently. The pump's been primed so to speak, and your resulting tolerance can end up being much lower than it was before.

FWIW, some years ago I developed an allergic reaction to synthetic wicking fabrics while on a very long wilderness trip. I had to basically live in the stuff for weeks in spite of it. Not pleasant, but there were no other options. After I got home, it took a month or more for the reaction to settle down. To this day, I can't wear these fabrics against my skin at all. It reacts almost immediately.

I'd ask a dermatologist whether you have a true infection versus reaction.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-23-2022 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-23-2022, 05:03 PM

2,293 posts, read 881,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's what it sounds like--I have to be careful about what kind of earrings I wear. No nickel-plated posts. You can also wipe the posts with rubbing alcohol to make sure that they're clean when you put them on.
an allergist told me that nickel allergies can go systemic, not just with your skin. and that every metal alloy used in earings, except platinum ,has nickel in it! Redness, itchiness, blisters even. not fun!

Old 07-23-2022, 05:10 PM

21,997 posts, read 5,928,052 times
I had my ears pierced a long time ago. Usually I wear small gold hoops. I usually leave them in because if I take them out for more than a day or two my left hole starts to close, weird, right? I have other earrings but can't sleep in them. Otherwise there's been no infections so far.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:43 PM

5,398 posts, read 2,616,245 times
My ears can be picky. When I was somewhere around middle school or high school age, my mom gave me a pair of gold earrings and I wore them a lot (I'm not always good about changing earrings day to day and tend to wear the same ones constantly unless changing for a special event). For a good while after that (years), I couldn't wear anything but gold earrings (and it doesn't have to be high-content gold... 14k or maybe even 10k is fine). Now it's hit-or-miss. I'm usually good with silver and stainless, but not always. Other metals (like brass) and sometimes the aforementioned two will make my ears itch within a minute of putting them in and I'm usually glad to take them out at the end of the day (mild annoyance).

Gold is always still good for me, though. To the point that if I've worn another metal for too long and have an infection, I have gold or gold-plated/filled earrings that I consider my "hospital" earrings to wear until the ears heal because my ears have absolutely no problem with gold (I was dumb once and wore cheap crappy earrings for WAY too long despite irritation until they were pretty well infected, so I didn't want to just remove earrings outright and let the infection seal up in there).

(I don't think I've ever tried titanium.)

My other piercings... not at all picky and stainless or silver is usually what's in them (then again, they've never been introduced to gold...). But they're all cartilage piercings, not fleshy like earlobe-- don't know if that makes a difference. And absolutely no issues with metals for any other sort of jewelry not worn in a piercing (although I'm one of those people who turns green from copper and I think black from brass).

Quote:
They're white gold. Again, I've literally been wearing these since I was 16. I'm 47 now. It's just started in the past couple of months so it's just very odd. I'll clean the posts with alcohol and clean my ears with hydrogen peroxide.
How are they with yellow gold? "White" gold is that color because of the alloys used.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:27 PM

9,077 posts, read 4,813,376 times
You can develop a nickle allergy after years of getting along just fine.

You could clean the wires and studs with alcohol, then coat them with clear nail polish. Maybe 2 coats. Let it dry completely before wearing the earrings. That reportedly prevents problems with nickle allergies. You'll have to recoat if problems start up again.

I have one problem piercing in the side of my ear (pierced about 35 years ago). I don't wear an earring there, but it still gets swollen a couple times a year. I coat an earwire with triple antibiotic cream and slide it into the hole, then remove the earwire. Clears it right up.
I usually treat my other piercings (just boring old lobe holes, had them for about 50 years) with triple antibiotic cream at the same time, just as a preventative.

Last edited by steiconi; 07-23-2022 at 07:45 PM..

Old 07-24-2022, 02:18 PM

7,182 posts, read 3,511,985 times
Quote:
Have you moved to a different area? Environment?

Allergies can flare up after menopaws. (See what I did there? LOL)

You could be experiencing a reaction. The inflammation only makes it worse.

Have you recently changed hand lotions?

Have you recently changed shampoo's or conditioners?

Has your hair stylist changed their products they use on you?

Did you recently get an animal in your life? (Dog/cat/etc?)

Change nail polish color or remover brand?

If you've had these same earrings for many years, and now, all of a sudden you are getting pain/discomfort, then there's something causing it and the earrings are only completing the pathway, or it's something environmental. Or, it could be "hereditary" but that's a long shot.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 07-24-2022 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 07-24-2022, 08:47 PM

21,346 posts, read 29,048,647 times
Quote:
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've been wearing my diamond studs for years. I change them out once in a while for some hoops that I've also had for years. All of a sudden, I'm getting infections in my left earlobe (piercing hole) now with any of the earrings. I've had to stop wearing them all together. Absolutely nothing has changed. Any idea of what is causing this? TIA
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

They're white gold. Again, I've literally been wearing these since I was 16. I'm 47 now. It's just started in the past couple of months so it's just very odd. I'll clean the posts with alcohol and clean my ears with hydrogen peroxide.

Old_cold---are you able to wear earrings anymore?

Quote:

I'm 10 years older than you. I also wear white gold diamond stud earrings. They used to be 14K gold, my hub reset them for me because my gold ones were in bad shape from being punched in the ear in 1991. I had the four, 14K gold diamond studs in my 4 cartilage holes in my left ear when I was punched. My ear swelled, my posts were a little bent, they also were stained from the blood. Since then, I have not been able to wear any earrings in those four holes because they will start hurting like an infection is starting.

Every now and then since then, I'll try putting my white diamond studs in, but can't.

My hubs niece got married about 5 years ago, now I'm now having issues with sterling silver in my main holes that have been pierced since I was 10. The only earrings that do not bother them are my white gold diamond stud earrings.

I haven't worn 14K earrings since the diamond studs were reset, so I have not tried to do a test to see what bothers what holes.

It is only my ears that have this issue, not my body piercing which I have titanium in or a gold hoop which most likely is plated.

I have an aunt who can only wear gold earrings. I figured at some point, I've gotten some sort of allergy to various metals.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:37 AM

22,906 posts, read 24,303,130 times
Just to be clear, no infection is involved, just a reaction...slight swelling and irritation.
I wear earrings infrequently now but when I do, they're whatever. since they all cause it and it clears up in a day or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness