U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 11:41 AM

7,177 posts, read 2,573,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've been wearing my diamond studs for years. I change them out once in a while for some hoops that I've also had for years. All of a sudden, I'm getting infections in my left earlobe (piercing hole) now with any of the earrings. I've had to stop wearing them all together. Absolutely nothing has changed. Any idea of what is causing this? TIA
I became allergic to metal in recent years, especially in the summer. Even 14k gold bothers my ears. So now I usually wear earrings with hypoallergenic wires -- stainless steel, niobium or titanium.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 12:07 PM

20,467 posts, read 26,097,518 times
Thanks for all the info. I wore the studs yesterday and by end of day my left ear was bothering me so out they went. I had cleaned them with alcohol and cleaned my ears with HP. I'll try the clear coat idea. These were given to me by my mother at 16 so very sentimental meaning.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:16 PM

15,176 posts, read 24,345,130 times
Quote:
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I've been wearing my diamond studs for years. I change them out once in a while for some hoops that I've also had for years. All of a sudden, I'm getting infections in my left earlobe (piercing hole) now with any of the earrings. I've had to stop wearing them all together. Absolutely nothing has changed. Any idea of what is causing this? TIA
Sounds like a nickel allergy.

White gold is often an alloy of nickel and zinc and gold. Especially older jewelry.

Gold is always yellow, it’s the things it’s alloyed with that give it its color. It is also often rhodium plated to make it bright white. I would take the earrings to a jeweler and ask them if they were rhodium plated if they could re-rhodium plate them. That way the nickel is away from your skin. The rhodium plating does last for a long time.

Switch the earrings out to something that might be 14 karat yellow gold and use some antibiotic ointment to clear your ears and once you get those earrings back replated, you should be good to go.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:54 PM

7,133 posts, read 3,501,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
gold ones were in bad shape from being punched in the ear in 1991. I had the four, 14K gold diamond studs in my 4 cartilage holes in my left ear when I was punched. My ear swelled, my posts were a little bent, they also were stained from the blood. Since then, I have not been able to wear any earrings in those four holes because they will start hurting like an infection is starting.
You all are slippin'

There's a back story to this, and I'd like to know it.

Iron Mike Tyson involved? (He has an affinity for ears, ya know!)

Old 07-25-2022, 10:21 PM

35,594 posts, read 41,702,341 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

They're white gold. Again, I've literally been wearing these since I was 16. I'm 47 now. It's just started in the past couple of months so it's just very odd. I'll clean the posts with alcohol and clean my ears with hydrogen peroxide.

Old_cold---are you able to wear earrings anymore?
White gold has nickel in it. If you have developed a nickel allergy, then you won't be able to wear white gold.

I could wear any kind of jewelry - cheapo stuff, no problems - until I got my ears pierced. That triggered a severe nickel allergy, so now only 14kt yellow gold (or higher), or sterling silver, platinum, titanium. I even had to order watches with a titanium back - otherwise I would develop a horrible itchy spot, and it would turn into a rash. I mostly wear yellow gold 14 or 18kt, and occasionally a sterling piece or two. As much as I love white gold, I just can't wear it.

I have heard of this allergy occurring many years later after a piercing - my guess is that is what has happened to you.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:18 PM

5,524 posts, read 3,281,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I had my ears pierced a long time ago. Usually I wear small gold hoops. I usually leave them in because if I take them out for more than a day or two my left hole starts to close, weird, right? I have other earrings but can't sleep in them. Otherwise there's been no infections so far.

Not weird at all. I had that problem for decades after I got my ears pierced. I also had the reaction behind my white gold diamond studs. I used Neosporin, which helped, and had to find something to keep in my ears or they'd close. I finally got some stainless steel hoops on a beading website and just change out what I dangle from them. No problems for many years now.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:09 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,933,205 times
there's a website called Simply Whispers that sells hypoallergenic earrings. I got a pair from them many years ago, I have worn them 24/7 for weeks on a road trip, no problem.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:53 AM

13,501 posts, read 10,150,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
there's a website called Simply Whispers that sells hypoallergenic earrings. I got a pair from them many years ago, I have worn them 24/7 for weeks on a road trip, no problem.
I think titanium is an inert metal that generally does not cause allergies.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:18 AM

20,467 posts, read 26,097,518 times
I spoke to a local jeweler who said they would plate the posts with iridium. If that doesn't work, they'll replace the posts themselves. I'll keep you guys posted

Old 07-28-2022, 11:36 AM

9,067 posts, read 4,803,457 times
Nearly all gold is alloyed; 14kt means it is 14 parts gold, 10 parts something else.
24kt is pure gold, but very, very soft; it would just bend if you used it for studs or earwires, and doesn't hold up well in jewelry.

So your earrings are alloyed with something, probably nickle. Sounds like you've got a good plan to fix the problem.

Surgical steel posts and wires tend to be non-allergenic, and cheaper than some other solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness