U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:17 AM

762 posts, read 274,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Exactly - ONE persons truth, not everybody's.
I have a theory as to why it's not everyone's truth, and this has not been covered by any weight loss books.

From what I have been told by many overweight people, they became overweight because of inaccurate information like that provided by the U.S.D.A. food pyramid.

The only way they were able to stop their addiction to a high carb diet was by getting new information from diet books promoting a high protein/fat diet, starting with the Atkins diet almost 50 years ago.

After almost 50 years of multiple (copy-cat) diet books, the percentage of the overweight and obese has steadily increased. That suggests that, overall, those diets are not working, other wise the percentages would have been going down.

And here's why overweight people are stuck with nowhere to go. They can't go back to a high carb diet because that wouldn't make any sense, for obvious reasons.

They can't go to a vegan diet because their calorie needs would never be met. How would an overweight person ever be satisfied eating a salad or a big dish of cooked vegetables? It's never going to happen, especially due to the fact that fruit, vegetables, whole grains and legumes do not taste as good to them as the high protein and/or high fat diets they are now accustomed to.

And that's why, in my opinion, the China Study diet will not attract those who are overweight or obese. And that's why so many people say, "There's no one diet for everyone." And, to be fair, I never said a vegan diet is for everyone, but I would say the science behind it is the same for everyone. that's what I was trying to put across.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 11:35 AM

16,082 posts, read 11,334,169 times
The explanation certainly makes sense when your entire view is based on vegan vs completely unhealthy.

Reality of course is far different.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 08-09-2022 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-09-2022, 11:48 AM

45,244 posts, read 29,935,692 times
My sister was vegan for like 3 years. She has always run overweight, while she does over eat, a lot is just metabolism. We were raised with the same foods and eating habits, but different dads. I could eat everything in site and never put on weight, she would put on weight with normal food consumption.

Anyway, she was vegan for 3 years and it DID lower her cholesterol, her goal. But she put on tons of weight. She travelled like 2 weeks each month, and the travel made it hard. She ate a lot of bread and potatoes, kept vegan, but not healthy overall.

The inconvenience of that diet led to poor diet options/choices, while still maintaining her veganhood.

She DID eat lots of healthy food, she lived in San Fran where it's easier to get good vegan food, but that paired with the convenience of bread and potatoes didn't equal out to an overall "good" for her.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets

Old 08-10-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The explanation certainly makes sense when your entire view is based on vegan vs completely unhealthy.

Reality of course is far different.
It's amazing how people make assumptions, not realizing it's an assumption.

Health science applies to everyone and is based on risk. Of course anyone can ignore the science and do well. That's because risk means risk, not certainty.

So people should look upon Dr. Campbell's book as a way of lowering their risk, IF they are interested.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:29 AM

16,082 posts, read 11,334,169 times
My “assumption” is based on reams of your posts proving it so. I’m fairly certain there are many in agreement.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-10-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My sister was vegan for like 3 years. She has always run overweight, while she does over eat, a lot is just metabolism. We were raised with the same foods and eating habits, but different dads. I could eat everything in site and never put on weight, she would put on weight with normal food consumption.

Anyway, she was vegan for 3 years and it DID lower her cholesterol, her goal. But she put on tons of weight. She travelled like 2 weeks each month, and the travel made it hard. She ate a lot of bread and potatoes, kept vegan, but not healthy overall.

The inconvenience of that diet led to poor diet options/choices, while still maintaining her veganhood.

She DID eat lots of healthy food, she lived in San Fran where it's easier to get good vegan food, but that paired with the convenience of bread and potatoes didn't equal out to an overall "good" for her.
The microbiome is passed along from generation to generation at birth. Some of the good bacteria comes from the trip through the birth-canal. That's why some hospitals no longer make a big deal out of rushing to clean up the new born babies. So it is possible your sisters gut bacteria was not exactly the same as yours.
Also, some of the good bacteria comes from breast feeding, it's in the mothers milk. So differences can exist without you being aware of it. By the time another child is born, the mother may be concentrating on a somewhat different choice of foods, and that could make a difference. If her microbiom changes because of what she's eating, that will be passed along to the next child.

Also, stress can have an effect. A mother may be under stress during one pregnancy but not the next, and so on. Perhaps the mother occasionally had a soda, or whatever, during the first pregnancy but decided not to do that during the next pregnancy, or vice versa. Junk foods can alter the microbiome for the worse.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My “assumption” is based on reams of your posts proving it so. I’m fairly certain there are many in agreement.
Many will be in agreement because of what's known as "group-think."

What some thought they heard, and what they actually heard is something else. It's all to easy to remember something out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness