U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2022, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
12,219 posts, read 8,983,483 times
Reputation: 15674

Advertisements

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the 45% for plant based protein, it may be better for us to need our digestive systems to work a little harder. Too easy to go for the quick fix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2022, 03:32 PM
Status: "Be a good person" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: West Florida
14,796 posts, read 12,033,137 times
Reputation: 20030
Throughout human history, there have been (and still are) meat-only societies/tribes who continue to thrive. There has not been one vegan society that consumed only natural foods, meaning no supplements, no processed foods, no fortified foods (meaning no tofu, no cereal, etc.) ever. If I am mistaken, point me to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 03:57 PM
 
26,669 posts, read 16,082,618 times
Reputation: 28858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Throughout human history, there have been (and still are) meat-only societies/tribes who continue to thrive. There has not been one vegan society that consumed only natural foods, meaning no supplements, no processed foods, no fortified foods (meaning no tofu, no cereal, etc.) ever. If I am mistaken, point me to them.
You are correct. There are meat-only and very-nearly-meat only societies, and there has never, ever been a vegan natural culture.

This is even more interesting that it's even true in locations in which plants are plentiful and meat is extremely hard to obtain.

And it appears that "meat-eating" has been synonymous with "homo sapiens" for as long as there has been "homo sapiens." Nobody has found homo sapiens without evidence that they ate meat.

Even in natural cultures that have developed no-kill philosophies, like the Jain, they are still permitted to eat eggs and drink milk (as long as they can ascertain that the animals are being treated humanely).

Veganism is impossible in any natural culture. No place that humans live is naturally supports a local capability of producing a sustaining plant-only menu year-round. Technology is always necessary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 06:15 PM
 
Location: USA
6,484 posts, read 3,258,943 times
Reputation: 19919
Pot meet kettle.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...ging-your.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2022, 10:41 PM
 
3,898 posts, read 1,690,040 times
Reputation: 7266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Soooo….. the gist of all this is to eat a balanced diet like the USDA recommendation.

Got it. I’ll go eat some mule deer now.
The USDA doesn’t know what they are doing. According to them you should consume up to 225-325 carbs per day, and that is outrageous. I’m a firm believer that nobody should be eating more than 100 carbs per day. I’m not a huge fan of keto and the less than 20 carbs per day, because I don’t think that is sustainable for the vast majority of people.

Anyway, that’s just one thing they get wrong.

But where animal protein helps is that as you meet your macros per day, by eating right and skipping processed garbage and sugar and bread/pasta and all of those worthless carbs, you also need to ensure you are getting all your vitamin and mineral needs met, too. Plant protein just doesn’t have enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2022, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
16,917 posts, read 19,666,855 times
Reputation: 19070
Got it. Ignore professionals, scientists and dieticians in favor of a blogger and an anonymous poster on a real estate forum.

Will do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2022, 07:58 AM
Status: "Without Freedom, You have nothing!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Kansas
22,494 posts, read 18,875,714 times
Reputation: 21831
With the high calories of meat, one could eat twice as much, or more, plant protein getting a LOT of vitamins and minerals for less calories.

Go drive by some factory farms, which I have, and then decide how healthy that might be on the table. Another real treat is to drive by a commercial chicken farm on a hot day. There is just something about filth that is a turnoff for me when it comes my diet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2022, 08:12 AM
 
2,340 posts, read 906,826 times
Reputation: 4553
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The USDA doesn’t know what they are doing. According to them you should consume up to 225-325 carbs per day, and that is outrageous. I’m a firm believer that nobody should be eating more than 100 carbs per day. I’m not a huge fan of keto and the less than 20 carbs per day, because I don’t think that is sustainable for the vast majority of people.

Anyway, that’s just one thing they get wrong.

But where animal protein helps is that as you meet your macros per day, by eating right and skipping processed garbage and sugar and bread/pasta and all of those worthless carbs, you also need to ensure you are getting all your vitamin and mineral needs met, too. Plant protein just doesn’t have enough.
Id rather follow this advice.. much better for one
https://www.bluezones.com/2020/07/bl...-lived-people/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2022, 08:13 AM
 
26,669 posts, read 16,082,618 times
Reputation: 28858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Got it. Ignore professionals, scientists and dieticians in favor of a blogger and an anonymous poster on a real estate forum.
Actually, no. It's a matter of finding "professionals, scientists, and dieticians" who are actually reading the studies that are available.

And also a matter of recognizing where and how various food industries impact those studies and government regulations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2022, 08:17 AM
 
26,669 posts, read 16,082,618 times
Reputation: 28858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Id rather follow this advice.. much better for one
https://www.bluezones.com/2020/07/bl...-lived-people/
An American can eat the same foods and still get fat. The "secrets" of those blue-zones go far beyond the specifics of what they eat. It's a matter of their total lifestyles, including such factors as work hours and family lives. For instance, it makes a huge difference that they tend to eschew eating at their desks, eschew snacks, and instead take two-hour lunches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top