Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 02:20 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,030,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
True, but they eat the WHOLE animal, it is not the meat and the fat that contain most of the nutrients. It's the organs, eyeballs, tongue and all the stuff we do not really eat as a society.
Beef tongue is one of my favorites. When my mother first came to the US from France in the 1940s, the butcher was giving her beef tongue for free. He had been discarding them because she was the only customer who had ever requested them. He couldn't imagine what she was doing with them but eventually he wised up and started charging her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 07:00 PM

48,296 posts, read 34,425,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Beef tongue is one of my favorites. When my mother first came to the US from France in the 1940s, the butcher was giving her beef tongue for free. He had been discarding them because she was the only customer who had ever requested them. He couldn't imagine what she was doing with them but eventually he wised up and started charging her.
I've had tongue and I do not hate it.... but yeah... still squeamish. I DO try to try everything once, though trips to Thailand and Hong Kong pushed those limits...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-25-2022, 07:19 PM

19,422 posts, read 22,342,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Smoked beef tongue is to die for!!

Old 07-25-2022, 08:12 PM

10,414 posts, read 7,514,566 times
Quote:
True, but they eat the WHOLE animal, it is not the meat and the fat that contain most of the nutrients. It's the organs, eyeballs, tongue and all the stuff we do not really eat as a society...
How about pickled pigs feet? Someone eats them in US.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:31 PM

48,296 posts, read 34,425,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I have never tried.... I'm west coast. I would try a nibble.... I feed my dog raw, frozen chicken feet.... I have many Thai and Filipino friends who are like "NO! those are awesome!".

So I'm at a Filipino party.... they are stir frying chicken hearts and gizzards outside with garlic.. and I'm like.. . Then I tried them.... then I started making them all the time.

I will NOT try balut. There IS a line a will not cross.

I've had fancy roasted bone marrow in the bone... I still buy the marrow bones... but give them to my dog.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-25-2022, 08:53 PM

28,573 posts, read 18,579,280 times
Quote:
I ate my share back in the day.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I have never tried.... I'm west coast. I would try a nibble.... I feed my dog raw, frozen chicken feet.... I have many Thai and Filipino friends who are like "NO! those are awesome!".

So I'm at a Filipino party.... they are stir frying chicken hearts and gizzards outside with garlic.. and I'm like.. . Then I tried them.... then I started making them all the time.

I've had fancy roasted bone marrow in the bone... I still buy the marrow bones... but give them to my dog.
Fried chicken gizzards are fine.

But I, too, drew a line at balut. Not enough nope in the room for that.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:03 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,007,983 times
Quote:

Yeah I wouldn't want to try balut. I'm fairly adventurous, but that's a big no for me.
Another one I haven't tried, and have no intention of trying, is chitlins. Oddly enough, I LOVE menudo, but something about the smell of chitlins... Maybe it's the way I've seen it prepared by African American cultures that just looked absolutely disgusting to me... I'm not a huge fan of lard, and Soul Food uses it as a base for LOTS of dishes. Maybe I'll give pig intestins a go one day if it's prepared by a different culture.

Aside from that, almost everything else goes.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't want to try balut. I'm fairly adventurous, but that's a big no for me.
Another one I haven't tried, and have no intention of trying, is chitlins. Oddly enough, I LOVE menudo, but something about the smell of chitlins... Maybe it's the way I've seen it prepared by African American cultures that just looked absolutely disgusting to me... I'm not a huge fan of lard, and Soul Food uses it as a base for LOTS of dishes. Maybe I'll give pig intestins a go one day if it's prepared by a different culture.

Aside from that, almost everything else goes.
I ate chitterlings as a kid, and enjoyed them.

But the only people whose chitterlings I would eat today are dead.

Lard is better for the body than canola oil. At least the body knows what to do with lard. With canola oil, the intestines say, "What is that? I'll let liver figure it out." Liver says: "I don't know what that is. I'll just tuck it to the side."

Old 07-25-2022, 09:21 PM

19,422 posts, read 22,342,846 times
Quote:
So my Dad, being from coastal SE North Cack-a-lacky, used to give me REALLY sour pickled pigs feet when I was teething. Yuppers, a little infant gnawing on a pig knuckle. He said it stopped me from crying, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness