Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 08:51 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I feed my dog raw, frozen chicken feet....
Chicken feet are high in collagen so they make a very nutritious bone broth. It's the only way we use them. I wouldn't give all of them to the dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 08:52 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
ok so the Harvard School of Public Health is wrong and the CDC and other science experts. are you a rancher?
You mean the same Harvard School that got paid to shift blame for increase in heart related issues on fat instead of sugar?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...t-blame-at-fat

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...o-fat.amp.html

Old 07-26-2022, 02:02 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
With the high calories of meat, one could eat twice as much, or more, plant protein getting a LOT of vitamins and minerals for less calories.

Go drive by some factory farms, which I have, and then decide how healthy that might be on the table. Another real treat is to drive by a commercial chicken farm on a hot day. There is just something about filth that is a turnoff for me when it comes my diet.
Absolutley false information-^^^-- as I said in my earlier post-- 600 cal worth of meat will get you your 60 gm RMDA of protein and close to half of most vits & mins, while it would take 3000 cal worth of plant sourced food to acheive the 60 gm protein...The reason 10 servings of veggies are recommended each day is becaue plant sources have generally less than 10% of the RDA of vits & mins each-- Plants just aren't very dense sources of nutrition.
https://nutritiondata.self.com/ Look it up to prove it to yourself.

Re: "factory farms"-- Prior to roughly WWII, ALL farming was "organic"-- the average yield of corn was 40bu/ac...in the 50s, mechanization in ag and artificial fertilizers and increased use of pesticides/herbicides in farming increased until now when it's universal . Corn yield in the Corn Belt is now 200+bu/ac-- more food on less land-- VERY good for the environment....and, BTW, you're at more than 10x higher risk of E.coli food poisoning from organic food than from conventional food.....You may want to read this https://www.lifehack.org/373310/10-m...-food-debunked.

We can't argue about tastes, so I won't contest your opinion about the aroma associated with farming....It's been said that the world is divided into two camps of people-- those who don't like the smell of horse manure, and those who do.... I don't think it's genetic.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:11 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
[b]

Re: "factory farms"-- Prior to roughly WWII, ALL farming was "organic"-- the average yield of corn was 40bu/ac...in the 50s, mechanization in ag and artificial fertilizers and increased use of pesticides/herbicides in farming increased until now when it's universal . Corn yield in the Corn Belt is now 200+bu/ac-- more food on less land-- VERY good for the environment....and, BTW, you're at more than 10x higher risk of E.coli food poisoning from organic food than from conventional food.....You may want to read this https://www.lifehack.org/373310/10-m...-food-debunked.

What are your thoughts about factory farming animals for their meat?

Old 07-26-2022, 06:32 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Factory farmed meat and eggs are so gross, though, both how the animals are treated, and all the stuff the food is exposed to between slaughter and point of sale. (Even labels like "grass-fed" in the context of a grocery store are borderline meaningless, unfortunately.) I get my eggs from people I know, and my meat from a butcher who only deal with local small-scale farmers, and it's nice to know where the food is coming from. Tastes a lot better, too. But it's expensive and it's not scalable for everyone to eat only that sort of meat and eggs.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:53 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Let's note that there is a difference between health and philosophy. When vegans start losing the health argument, they always switch to their philosophy.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:13 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Carnivores go wrong, not by eating real grassfed meat and organic eggs, but by eating processed garbage, mainly carbs.
Carnivores eat raw meat, either from animals they've killed, or from scavenged leftovers that other carnivores have killed.

HUMANS ARE OMNIVORES.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:14 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Factory farmed meat and eggs are so gross, though, both how the animals are treated, and all the stuff the food is exposed to between slaughter and point of sale. (Even labels like "grass-fed" in the context of a grocery store are borderline meaningless, unfortunately.) I get my eggs from people I know, and my meat from a butcher who only deal with local small-scale farmers, and it's nice to know where the food is coming from. Tastes a lot better, too. But it's expensive and it's not scalable for everyone to eat only that sort of meat and eggs.
I dunno... To me, there is a very noticeable difference between quality organic chicken vs the $.99/lb whole fryer. Much less fat/skin, the meat is more dense, and more flavorful.
Similarly, a decent quality egg (Say, Nellie's or something) tastes different, and better, than the cheap cartons.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:53 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Let's note that there is a difference between health and philosophy. When vegans start losing the health argument, they always switch to their philosophy.
IMO they win both arguments, and I'm not a vegan or vegetarian.

Factory farmed meats puts its animals, workers and consumers at risk for many diseases. Salmonella, E. Coli, MRSA, etc. and perhaps even the next pandemic. https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...y-farming-meat

Old 07-26-2022, 08:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Absolutley false information-^^^-- as I said in my earlier post-- 600 cal worth of meat will get you your 60 gm RMDA of protein and close to half of most vits & mins, while it would take 3000 cal worth of plant sourced food to acheive the 60 gm protein...The reason 10 servings of veggies are recommended each day is becaue plant sources have generally less than 10% of the RDA of vits & mins each-- Plants just aren't very dense sources of nutrition.
https://nutritiondata.self.com/ Look it up to prove it to yourself.

We can't argue about tastes, so I won't contest your opinion about the aroma associated with farming....It's been said that the world is divided into two camps of people-- those who don't like the smell of horse manure, and those who do.... I don't think it's genetic.
What is not false is that the vast majority of corn grown is not used to feed people. AFAIK, Florida grows the most sweet corn for people to eat, not the corn belt states. They grow corn to feed other animals who may or may not do well eating corn as well as biofuel. We could actually do fine with the prior yield of corn, as we only eat about 10% of what is produced now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness