Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 07:55 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Go to walmart- get the home test kit. You'll know in three minutes. And it's less costly

Mine was acquired when I donated to the American red cross. They sent my donor card with the info on it. It helped when they did blood drives and were seeking my blood type specifically.
One can do that for fun as far as buying kits online. Just don't take them seriously.

They are not for professional use and don't have a professional quality technique.

Per AABB manual requirements any slide testing for Rh must be done with warmed slides and at a temperature of 40-50 degrees centigrade (104-122 deg.F). We would have lighted boxes (viewbox) at that temperature for the testing.

One can bypass that technique with the test tube method that doesn't have that temperature requirement but it does require centrifugation and nobody has such a centrifuge at home. If you do you are weird. Putting it into an old sock and swinging it around in circles would also be weird.

Some people also have trouble distinguishing a blood clot from the expressed blood from blood agglutination due to antisera.

Yes, most people have a problem poking their own fingers. Lots of nerve endings are intentionally there because that is what we use to feel things with. So if you are going to do that then I would suggest somebody else stick your finger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 08:12 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My spouse doesn't. He also doesn't know if he had chicken pox as a child, so he won't get the shingles vaccines. My guess is that he did have chicken pox and he'll be in a world of hurt when the virus reactivates.
You can get the shingles vaccine even if you never had chicken pox, or don't know. I don't know because my mom forgot who did and who didn't (5 kids). I remember my younger brother having it, and I didn't get it at that time. I was 8, and I know I didn't have CP after that. I asked my doctor and she said get the vaccine, it doesn't matter if you never had CP. It won't hurt you, and you'll be sure not to get shingles because no one wants that!

Old 07-26-2022, 10:03 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I had surgery in January and obviously they had to know my blood type, so how can I find out what it is? Anyone in the medical industry know which office I should call? I emailed my surgeon but she didn't reply, I could call their office or do I call the hospital - but who do I talk to at the hospital? Medical records? That is thru the hospital not the surgeon's office right? Thank you
If they typed & crossed you (may not have happened on a routine pre-op), you should be able to find the results under "labs" on your patient portal.

I came up as O neg when I was tested during my first pregnancy (1986). My mom made me ask for it to be redone because both her & my dad were A & AB positive. Again; I was clearly O negative.

Don't know what my grandparents were but my maternal gma had 4 kids & my paternal gma had 6 kids & that was before Rhogam was available & no babies died in infancy. All 10 of my aunts/uncles were positive too.

A ton of genealogy research & then later, DNA; nailed the first likely suspect for at least one Rh negative ancestor as being FOUR generations back (followed the trail of who only had a firstborn surviving child back & nailed it) but only on my paternal side. There should be someone on the maternal side to have provided the other neg/neg but I can't find them. didn't realize blood type could skip multiple generations like that but I guess it did.

Continued to test as O neg with each subsequent pregnancy in 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2001 & 2003.

Continued to test as O neg for each of the 9 units of blood I had to have between 2015-2017 too. So I'm decidedly O neg.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
If they typed & crossed you (may not have happened on a routine pre-op), you should be able to find the results under "labs" on your patient portal.

I came up as O neg when I was tested during my first pregnancy (1986). My mom made me ask for it to be redone because both her & my dad were A & AB positive. Again; I was clearly O negative.

Don't know what my grandparents were but my maternal gma had 4 kids & my paternal gma had 6 kids & that was before Rhogam was available & no babies died in infancy. All 10 of my aunts/uncles were positive too.

A ton of genealogy research & then later, DNA; nailed the first likely suspect for at least one Rh negative ancestor as being FOUR generations back (followed the trail of who only had a firstborn surviving child back & nailed it) but only on my paternal side. There should be someone on the maternal side to have provided the other neg/neg but I can't find them. didn't realize blood type could skip multiple generations like that but I guess it did.

Continued to test as O neg with each subsequent pregnancy in 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2001 & 2003.

Continued to test as O neg for each of the 9 units of blood I had to have between 2015-2017 too. So I'm decidedly O neg.
It is possible as for what we know about type AB cis and trans allele. A Type A parent and a type AB parent can have type O offspring. Highly unlikely given the probability but the highest incidence is in Koreans with a 0.0354% incidence. Japanese and Chinese are rarer than that.

I don't know if I have mentioned this or not before but here it goes just in case. A parent can type A/O and another parent can type O/AB. From that, you can have a type O/O baby. It is cis- on the same allele and inherited together rather than the normal trans A/B that we were taught.

As far as the Rh again you inherit one gene from your mother and another from your father and so if both parents were Rh +/- then one can get the -/- type Rh negative out of that. The Rh is recessive phenotypically so a person who is Rh+/- is Rh positive.

Now you know why ABO blood grouping is no longer used in paternity suits or to identify paternity. I also want to warn people about DNA testing and mosaics where a person can genetically type one way or with one tissue blood but have another genetic typing from other sources like semen as in the vanishing twin syndrome. Microchimerism is another topic altogether.

One needs to be very careful about genetics because weird things can happen that are outside of Mendelian genetics.

"How a Man's Unborn Twin Fathered His Child"

https://time.com/4091210/chimera-twins/

There was a rapist out there that got away a few times based on it until they wised up and took multiple tissue samples and not just blood.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:58 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
They make you wear a disposable bracelet during surgical procedures which has your blood type right on it...noticed mine was AB- on a procedure I had years ago.

Not happening here and now. Just had a procedure and looked at the band. Name, Age, and lots of record numbers, but no blood type.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:03 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
One can do that for fun as far as buying kits online. Just don't take them seriously.
They are not for professional use and don't have a professional quality technique.
We bought the Walmart kit when they had all the discussion about A+ blood type being riskiest for Covid.

I have always known I was type O. I remember my mom telling me I have the type of blood that can be used in blood banks and would be compatible with others. In the blood type diet books and descriptions of people, I fit an O. I was concerned about husb. He did not know his blood type and I was concerned it would be an A.

So we tested and it turns out I am an A+ and he is an O+.

Oddly I felt this rush of envy when I looked at his reading and kept checking and rechecking mine.

I was crushed. I still am having somewhat of an identity crisis. I demand a refund!

Old 07-27-2022, 05:35 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
I had surgery in January and obviously they had to know my blood type, so how can I find out what it is? Anyone in the medical industry know which office I should call? I emailed my surgeon but she didn't reply, I could call their office or do I call the hospital - but who do I talk to at the hospital? Medical records? That is thru the hospital not the surgeon's office right? Thank you
You're entitled to a free copy of your medical records; just request them.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:09 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not happening here and now. Just had a procedure and looked at the band. Name, Age, and lots of record numbers, but no blood type.
Probably true now...my blood type was clearly listed on my hospital bracelet on a procedure I had...was about 30 years ago though back in the early 90's

Old 07-27-2022, 09:14 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
I don't know the answer to your question; however, if you donate blood, you will learn your blood group information for sure.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:29 AM

144 posts, read 186,381 times
I tried getting my blood type (and this was after TWO surgieries in 2020) but the hsopital didn't have it Last year, during my yearly physical, I insisted my Doctor put that on the script for my annual blood work. Got it from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness