U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2022, 06:30 AM
 
13,579 posts, read 11,700,314 times
Reputation: 25516

Advertisements

It took a year for my sinuses to recover from COVID.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2022, 07:47 AM
 
Location: NJ
21,327 posts, read 29,030,576 times
Reputation: 25098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Then I'm puzzled why you haven't received the booster...I'm on day 6 (Day 5 as the CDC counts) and (knock wood knock wood again) I haven't experienced anything (knock wood) that bad (knock wood).


Your font in the last post is horrible to read, the font is smallish.

I honestly doubt they need the booster. I would not bother until new versions come out

I'm also vaccinated with J&J, wasn't going to get one, I was forced to get it when my daughter had a friend over for the weekend October 2021. They tested positive. Interestingly, she never tested positive, no vaccine either.

I'm happy you started this thread. No one talks about J&J unless they have something bad to say about it. It's like a huge government conspiracy against J&J to get the other two. I'm thankful for the least of all evils being available, the side effect didn't scare me with the odds.

I was allergic to it, so will not get a booster. My throat went numb but never closed like with the shingles vaccine.

Anyway. i had my grandson the weekend of Martin Luther Kings birthday, brought him back Monday about 3pm. Daughter called next morning to pick him up she had COVID symptoms from helping my granddaughters father set up her room at his new place. I picked him up to quarantine since he was sort of exposed to her.

I was at her house off and on for the next 7 days with and without a mask. Day 7 I brought them for a PCR COVID test at CVS. She felt semi-decent so I gave him back. She called me 2 days later to rush him to the peds because he had COVID. Rapid test was negative, doctor said it's typical with omicron.

I started having symptoms, same exact symptoms. Took my grandson back to the peds a week later on a Friday, so it was going on 3 weeks of my daughter having COVID) because school wanted a note that he was not ready to go back to school. I got tested that day, I ended up keeping him that weekend. My test was back early Monday morning, negative.

I still don't believe I was negative because I had symptoms pretty bad for over 2 weeks. If I was feeling better it would have occurred to me to redo the test, called my GP to have her send me for a test to see if I did have COVID antibodies because I'm sure I had to have had it, I had every symptom my unvaccinated grandson and daughter had.

I also think we had COVID January and February 2020 whenb people could not get tested.

I really did not want a vaccine due to my bad allergic reactions and I wish I never had gotten one but I can't change the events.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 08:34 AM
 
4,567 posts, read 2,847,825 times
Reputation: 9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I honestly doubt they need the booster. I would not bother until new versions come out

Well compare their unboosted "Thursday- Saturday are a blur. I thought I was dying." to the fact that I never even felt very sick and its clear that my boosted self came out ahead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 08:52 AM
 
Location: NJ
21,327 posts, read 29,030,576 times
Reputation: 25098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well compare their unboosted "Thursday- Saturday are a blur. I thought I was dying." to the fact that I never even felt very sick and its clear that my boosted self came out ahead.

I haven't looked into how the J&J vaccine is compared to omicron or the new strains but the other 2 vaccines do not stop omicron. Omicron doesn't cause the same type of illness the other strains used to cause with lung issues.

I know vaccinated and unvaccinated, some people get sick, some not so much. The one person my daughter was originally exposed to only lost his taste with regular COVID, he only had one vaccine that he just got the day he tested at CVS.

I had the same symptoms as my daughter and grandson except I threw up pretty bad, yet I tested negative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 11:47 AM
 
4,567 posts, read 2,847,825 times
Reputation: 9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I haven't looked into how the J&J vaccine is compared to omicron or the new strains but the other 2 vaccines do not stop omicron. Omicron doesn't cause the same type of illness the other strains used to cause with lung issues.

I know vaccinated and unvaccinated, some people get sick, some not so much. The one person my daughter was originally exposed to only lost his taste with regular COVID, he only had one vaccine that he just got the day he tested at CVS.

I had the same symptoms as my daughter and grandson except I threw up pretty bad, yet I tested negative.

You shouldn't get boosted because of your allergy issues perhaps, but most people are going to benefit. I don't plan on getting any additional shots, and I went against the grain in deciding to boost my JJ with another JJ instead of Pfizer or Moderna. So far I don't regret it. I have no underlying conditions however, and I'm not in any high risk group, which is why I decided to go against the grain. The other reason is I had zero side effects the first time and wanted it to stay that way.

My worst symptoms were also GI, but the other end from yours.

I feel fine today but still tested positive. I can smell fresh crushed garlic if I shove it right against my nostril. I can smell Listerine mouthwash and menthol pain spray, faintly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 01:02 PM
 
390 posts, read 337,939 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well compare their unboosted "Thursday- Saturday are a blur. I thought I was dying." to the fact that I never even felt very sick and its clear that my boosted self came out ahead.
I didn't even know J&J had a booster. Anyway it took a lot for me to get the one shot. I was very leery of getting a new shot no one really knew much about. Anyway, I survived and got through it. I still have no smell and still blowing my nose a lot. By the way my youngest had both shots and 2 boosters and has still had Covid twice. I know it doesn't stop Covid but the first time she had little to no symptoms. The 2nd time she was very sick for a week.

I don't think any of us really know the long term effects of either Covid or any vaccine/ booster.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 01:35 PM
 
4,567 posts, read 2,847,825 times
Reputation: 9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
I didn't even know J&J had a booster. Anyway it took a lot for me to get the one shot. I was very leery of getting a new shot no one really knew much about. Anyway, I survived and got through it. I still have no smell and still blowing my nose a lot. By the way my youngest had both shots and 2 boosters and has still had Covid twice. I know it doesn't stop Covid but the first time she had little to no symptoms. The 2nd time she was very sick for a week.

I don't think any of us really know the long term effects of either Covid or any vaccine/ booster.



Well like I said the recommendation is to boost the JJ with Pfizer or Moderna but you can also use the JJ as its own booster.



I think there is some risk in over-boosting and that's why I don't plan to boost again unless new information comes along. But that's not the same as long term adverse effects, of which there are none.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2022, 01:22 AM
 
Location: NJ
21,327 posts, read 29,030,576 times
Reputation: 25098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You shouldn't get boosted because of your allergy issues perhaps, but most people are going to benefit. I don't plan on getting any additional shots, and I went against the grain in deciding to boost my JJ with another JJ instead of Pfizer or Moderna. So far I don't regret it. I have no underlying conditions however, and I'm not in any high risk group, which is why I decided to go against the grain. The other reason is I had zero side effects the first time and wanted it to stay that way.

My worst symptoms were also GI, but the other end from yours.

I feel fine today but still tested positive. I can smell fresh crushed garlic if I shove it right against my nostril. I can smell Listerine mouthwash and menthol pain spray, faintly.

Same. I had times where I was almost falling asleep in the bathroom.

Yeah, I won't push my luck to get another COVID vaccine unless something happens where COVID is very deadly again, I have to be out in it. I don't work, I don't have to go out except to drive grandson to and from school. If COVId got bad again, school would be online again, so no risk for me except my hub and son working. My hub has been boosted, not sure if once or twice. I advised him to mix, he stayed with moderna. My son got pfizer, not sure if he boosted.

If I was going to boost, it would be with J&J again because of my allergies, plus I had side effects, I would not get one of the others due to how bad those side effects could be. I also won't put those in my body.

I've read that with the other vaccines, people get better results when they mix the brands.



Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
I didn't even know J&J had a booster. Anyway it took a lot for me to get the one shot. I was very leery of getting a new shot no one really knew much about. Anyway, I survived and got through it. I still have no smell and still blowing my nose a lot. By the way my youngest had both shots and 2 boosters and has still had Covid twice. I know it doesn't stop Covid but the first time she had little to no symptoms. The 2nd time she was very sick for a week.

I don't think any of us really know the long term effects of either Covid or any vaccine/ booster.

Thanks, I can't rep you again.

We don't know long term effects of either, and anyone who says that testing these vaccines on the number of people they have makes up for years of testing is wrong. Things happen years later as damage from a vaccine. Who knows, we may have young men and women who are sterile. It could either be from gardasil, COVID vaccine or combo of both.

Interesting that you guys both lost smell, you must have one of the newest strains. Omicron doesn't have that symptom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2022, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
35,400 posts, read 37,451,876 times
Reputation: 42255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I've read that with the other vaccines, people get better results when they mix the brands.
Link?

Quote:
We don't know long term effects of either, and anyone who says that testing these vaccines on the number of people they have makes up for years of testing is wrong. Things happen years later as damage from a vaccine. Who knows, we may have young men and women who are sterile. It could either be from gardasil, COVID vaccine or combo of both.
Please specify which vaccines are known to cause damage "years later". Of the few serious adverse effects from vaccines the majority happen 7 to 42 days after receipt of the vaccine.

Gardasil does not cause sterility and there is no evidence that the covid vaccine affects fertility. Gardasil may help preserve fertility by reducing the need for treatments of precancer and cancer that can have adverse effects on fertility.

Large populations can indeed identify potential adverse effects. If those effects are rare, they may not show up in clinical studies because it is impossible to do such studies in hundreds of thousands of participants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2022, 04:50 AM
 
Location: NJ
21,327 posts, read 29,030,576 times
Reputation: 25098
I heard on the radio yesterday that the CDC is not suggesting the 2nd booster for people 50 and younger. They're saying to wait until the new doses come out in the fall. It's for Pfizer and Moderna. I don't know if J&J will have an updated booster. They rarely include J&J unless they're trash talking it.

According to the article below, they're still suggesting everyone else ages above 50, especially vulnerable adults to get their 2nd booster, then go get the new one when it comes out which is crazy to me for someone healthy. Most people I know are done getting COVID vaccines or boosters. I guess they have to "sell" whatever they have left to someone... You know the vaccine companies don't want to eat all of those doses...

Only you know yourself and your risk factors and whether you should get another booster or wait for the new version. Do some google searches so that you know how long that will be. The article below says they should be ready by September. Make the decision that you are comfortable making. Anyone's opinion does not matter, it's what your opinion is.

I also suggest you look into mixing the J&J with one of the updated ones from Pfizer and Moderna to read what they say about mixing the vaccines since I'm not seeing that J&J is coming out with a new one. It looks like the only way to get the new dose is to get either Pfizer or Moderna. It's been talked about many times in these COVID threads, there are a lot of articles online.

Google search mixing covid vaccine types. Click on news to get more articles.


'Mix and match' Covid vaccine boosters are effective, NIH study finds - Oct. 13, 2021, 2:02 PM EDT / Updated Oct. 14, 2021, 1:28 PM EDT
The research will be presented Friday to the Food and Drug Administration's advisory committee as it reviews data about Moderna and J&J booster shots.

Quote:
A highly anticipated study of “mixing and matching” Covid-19 vaccines found the approach to be safe and effective, although the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines were found to spark stronger immune system responses than Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine.

“Mixing and matching” refers to giving a booster dose of a vaccine different from the vaccine type that was used for the initial vaccination series.


U.S. not considering second boosters for all until updated vaccine is ready

Quote:
U.S. regulators said Friday they are no longer considering authorizing a second COVID-19 booster shot for all adults under 50 this summer, focusing instead on revamped vaccines for the fall that will target the newest viral subvariants.

Pfizer and Moderna expect to have updated versions of their shots available as early as September, the Food and Drug Administration said in a statement. That would set the stage for a fall booster campaign to strengthen protection against the latest versions of omicron.

The announcement means the U.S. won’t pursue a summer round of boosters of the current vaccines for adults under 50



Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Link?



Please specify which vaccines are known to cause damage "years later". Of the few serious adverse effects from vaccines the majority happen 7 to 42 days after receipt of the vaccine.

Gardasil does not cause sterility and there is no evidence that the covid vaccine affects fertility. Gardasil may help preserve fertility by reducing the need for treatments of precancer and cancer that can have adverse effects on fertility.

Large populations can indeed identify potential adverse effects. If those effects are rare, they may not show up in clinical studies because it is impossible to do such studies in hundreds of thousands of participants.

The link for mixing vaccines has been posted many times. You regularly come here in the COVID threads, I don't know how you missed it.

Did you miss where I said may have? I don't know, surely you can't know either what effects the vaccines will have on people eventually. If you're sure they will not cause any side effects, maybe y9ou should put some money on it?

I guess you missed articles about people being sterile who just happened to have Gardasil. Again, no one can know what these rushed vaccines will do to anyone


Quote:
Who knows, we may have young men and women who are sterile. It could either be from gardasil, COVID vaccine or combo of both.

Last edited by Roselvr; 07-30-2022 at 05:06 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top